Nvidia Forceware problems?

vbimport

I read in a couple of places that Nvidia Forceware drivers could possibly be causing some problems/issues with the NEC 2500A (or possibly the Lite-On Combo drive lol).

Has this been confirmed by many other users and if so any ideas why? Also, what would be the recommended solution(s)?

TY.

Uninstall the Nforce/Forceware drivers and use the default Microsoft ones.

The problem is with the Nvidia software IDE driver that gets packaged with the rest of forceware…

My understanding is that the Nvidia IDE driver (much like the Intel Application Accelerator IDE driver that causes similar problems) is optimised for Apps/Games <-> Hard Drive, which is a very different IDE data transfer situation from Hard Drive <-> DVD±RW or DVD-ROM <-> DVD±RW…

As for getting rid of it: PAIN IN THE ASS!

first things first:

NEW Forceware 56.56 drivers:

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NTk3

next: Uninstall all old Nvidia drivers and reboot every time it asks!

Install new drivers, choose to NOT install IDE SW driver.

Check in the Device manager to be sure that the the Nvidia IDE driver is not there. If it is, check Add/Remove Programs, there may or may not be the option to remove the IDE driver in there…

I haven’t pinned down the exact process for getting rid of that bastard; I’ve done it three times so far and each time it took a mess of uninstall reinstall reboot remove reboot blah blah blah… if you fight with it for long enough, it WILL go away. :slight_smile:

–neoplex

The Nvidia IDE driver issue is general for all writers, not specific to NEC’s.

While I thought I had Nvidia Forceware drivers installed, my device manager says “Microsoft” drivers for primary and secondary IDE channels (not Nvidia). So I’m good to go?

this is what you want:

Thx for the help Neo.

What I have is a VIA Bus Master IDE Controller. It says “Microsoft” provided the driver (ie from xp). This is not a Nvidia IDE driver?

It looks like I have Nvidia Forceware drivers installed now that I checked better (new version 5.3.3). Under their release notes they say among their ‘open’ issues is incompatibility with older Intel Indo 3.x codecs when playing certain .avi files. Is that the main problem with them or much more things?

Anyway, can I get some advice on how to remove these Nvidia Forceware drivers safely and completely? (falling back on standard Win XP drivers I guess). I don’t want to do it half-assed and have part of it still embedded in my os/registry/system. Would a simple uninstall and remove programs do it?

Thx for any tips…

Originally posted by vallybally
[B]Thx for the help Neo.

What I have is a VIA Bus Master IDE Controller. It says “Microsoft” provided the driver (ie from xp). This is not a Nvidia IDE driver?

It looks like I have Nvidia Forceware drivers installed now that I checked better (new version 5.3.3). Under their release notes they say among their ‘open’ issues is incompatibility with older Intel Indo 3.x codecs when playing certain .avi files. Is that the main problem with them or much more things?

Anyway, can I get some advice on how to remove these Nvidia Forceware drivers safely and completely? (falling back on standard Win XP drivers I guess). I don’t want to do it half-assed and have part of it still embedded in my os/registry/system. Would a simple uninstall and remove programs do it?

Thx for any tips… [/B]

as you have the VIA chipset you need the VIA 4in1`s(there better than the standard winXP driver)http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=300
also the forceware drivers you have installed are for your graphic card there nothing to do with the ide drivers as you dont have the Nforce chipset on the motherboard so no need to uninstall them

Hmm, I checked that website. If I seemingly have no problems with the default windows VIA drivers, can you tell me what advantages or anything these 4-in-1 drivers bring to the table?

…I seemingly have no problems with the default windows VIA drivers

I would suggest sticking with the default Microsoft drivers since they are working well for you.:bigsmile:

Hmm, I checked that website. If I seemingly have no problems with the default windows VIA drivers, can you tell me what advantages or anything these 4-in-1 drivers bring to the table?

Updates to the VIA 4-in-1’s can improve AGP performance in some cases. It is possible to install VIA’s 4-in-1’s without installing the IDE drivers, if you do a custom install. If you wish to experiment, this is the option I would take.