Nvidia chipset and LG blu ray problem (LG GBW-H20L)

vbimport

[qanda]This thread is about the LG GBW-H20L. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]I have heard there are severe problems when trying to get the internal LG Blu ray burner working if you have Nvidia chip set on motherboard and SATA connections. Can anyone comment? If so, would the external USB burner have the same problems?

My ggw-20L works fine with my older Asus an8-sli deluxe board and it’s Nforce 4 chip set or whatever they were called.
It’s the older one that also reads HD-DVD so maybe they are different but it’s done nicely in here so far. I have had problems trying to run opticals on the raid ports but I think that’s pretty normal as they really weren’t meant for anything but hard drives.
I have run into some issues with bad cables and like that over time, but things either work or they don’t on here pretty much.

Had 2 emails from LG Technical help today…This drive is not compatiable with NVidia’s Nforce SATA drivers. Switch to the Microsoft default drivers and everything should work fine…AND second email couple of hours later…We apologise for the last answer it was not explained well and inaccurate.

An external USB drive would work perfectly fine with your chip set as long as the standard system USB drivers are present.

So does anyone know how I confirm that I have the standard system USB drivers?

works perfectly fine on nforce680

You should be able to go into the device manager and see what driver it using one way or the other under the IDE and SATA ports. Pretty sure I’m using the Intel drivers because the Nvidia ones as you found out can cause issues.
My machine has run fine with them for several years on this install.
OK I just checked and my SATA ports are running the Nvidia drivers 5.10.666 4/24/2006. All my drives including the BD/HD one seem to work fine with this one for me. My IDE ports are running the Microsoft generic one also without problems.

[QUOTE=Dartman;2143537]You should be able to go into the device manager and see what driver it using one way or the other under the IDE and SATA ports. [B]Pretty sure I’m using the Intel drivers because the Nvidia ones as you found out can cause issues.[/B]
My machine has run fine with them for several years on this install.
OK I just checked and my SATA ports are running the Nvidia drivers 5.10.666 4/24/2006. All my drives including the BD/HD one seem to work fine with this one for me. My IDE ports are running the Microsoft generic one also without problems.[/QUOTE]

that is not possible

OK, how about the Microsoft ones then, Microsoft 5.1.2600.2180 7/1/2001.
That’s directly from device mangler’s standard dual channel PCI IDE controller.
It’s been a while since I did anything with it seeing how everything is working stable so I forgot what all the drivers were, guess I should have redid that one after I found the SATA port ones.

I recently got the GGW-H20L, put it in a system with nvidia 680i MB and XPSP3, had problems with BD-RE - 3 memorex BD-RE did not work, but I can burn dvd or cd disks without problems.

I have another system (same 680i MB) which I have been trying to get Vista running (32bit Home Premium), I took the drive and put it into that system and I did a clean install. When either system boots, I normally see a message about the nvidia volume being healthy on both systems, this system now shows the Blu-ray drive along with the nvidia volume in this same message on bootup, in other words this system shows it under the raid controller, my first one did not do that.

The Memorex BD-RE disks don’t work on this system either, but I got an LG BD-RE from Frys and it does work.

I wasn’t sure if it was the disks or my drive, now I’m wondering about the Nvidia also. The fact that the LG BD-RE disk works suggests that the drive is compatible, but the Memorex disks are not compatible, or maybe just low quality. Now I’m more confused after reading this thread.

What do you mean by “it doesn’t work”? Did you try to burn something?

What is the MID of the Memorex BD-RE? Click here to see how to check MID and some info about the disc http://club.cdfreaks.com/f142/memorex-2x-bd-re-25gb-media-old-new-234563/

Burners don’t like to be put in a raid controller, so you may want to put in another sata slot or set BIOS to native and not raid.

[QUOTE=zaina;2148195]What do you mean by “it doesn’t work”? Did you try to burn something?

What is the MID of the Memorex BD-RE? Click here to see how to check MID and some info about the disc http://club.cdfreaks.com/f142/memorex-2x-bd-re-25gb-media-old-new-234563/

Burners don’t like to be put in a raid controller, so you may want to put in another sata slot or set BIOS to native and not raid.[/QUOTE]

I can’t burn, format, or erase these disks, get a “corrupted media” or similar message every time. I was wanting to have my boot disk mirrored for redundancy on this system, turning off raid would prevent this. I need to move the drive back to my system that has Nero to see the MID I guess, I was not able to install Nero in Vista. Memorex says they will replace my disks, but it looks like they should give me the older version.