NuTech 082 drive problems

Can’t figure out what’s wrong with these NuTech burners, but I’m leaning towards the notion that they are total crap.
This is my second drive, after RMAing the first one with the same problems.
Basically, burning at 8x is impossible with any media. the drive will start OK at 6x, then when it tried to shift to 8x, it goes bonkers with wildly fluctuating drive buffer and indicated speeds from 3x to 5x. The resulting discs have very good write quality, but fail any file check.
The drive reads very well at full speeds, so it’s not a DMA issue. So far, I’ve gotten only one 8x burn out of it, here’s the CDSpeed screen shot of that data disc creation:

Most of the time, the drive just lims along at 3x with the drive-buffer fluctuations. It looks something liek this one that I cancelled:

Here’s a scandisc test on one of the 8x burns:

I’m at a loss to explain this rather disappointing showing for 2 different NuTech burners, does anyone have a clue what might be going on here? Tried every possible fix for DMA, master-slave and IDE cable issues. But inasmuch as it will read at max speed with no datarate issues, that’s not likely the problem anyway.

anybody seen any thing like this before? Burning at 4x and 6x seems to avoid the problems, but even at 6x I see alot of buffer fluctuations and speed changes.

Grimsey there is a known issue and Nu released another B373 that lowered the upper speed from 8x to 6x due to this problem happening on some (a lot?) media. See the note about it with the latest firmware.

From these two statements it would appear to be a file transfer speed restriction problem from the source to the burner. As you get no buffer fluctuations at 4x speed or below and slight at 6x speed with bonkers as you state at 8x speed it would appear that the source cannot keep up with the demand for the 8x speed burning. There are so many factors governing this it id difficult to hazard a guess as to what is wrong

The translated info I have from nu so far is sketchy but goes something like this. The Nu drive uses the philips chipset, and the revision used was not designed for -R and makes it especially difficult at high speed, so its done in firmware.

While I have had very successful burns on the drive at 8x and not seen the issue repeated here, I know of a few users that have and nu confirmed it.

I believe they are working on the issue and for now the speed has been reduced to 6x as I said above.

I will see if I can get more exacting information from them on this issue.

Nicw said:
the revision used was not designed for -R and makes it especially difficult at high speed, so its done in firmware.

So is this a -R issue or does it affect +R as well?
When you say: “B373 that lowered the upper speed from 8x to 6x due to this problem” Is this with all media -/+?

None of which has much to do with this drive’s problem. As I said, it does burn at 8x sometimes, the rest of the time it’s 3x and coasters. Haven’t even tried any -R yet. The resulting coasters have excellent burn quality but are full of what appears to be open sectors.
It’s not a transfer rate problem either, as there are 2 other burners happily burning at 8x, and it will read disks at full speed.

Getting 2 burners with identical issues raises some questions that I don’t have answers for, but I suspect the drives are just junk.

So now its bag Nu time? because they are doing a better job than some others? your suspicions are unfounded. Read the post again its a “Known issue”
If you are having this on +R then its either your system or you have gotten two bad drives, I have burned and know of many users who have burned dozens of +R @ 8x without issue.

Nic, I’m inviting you to leave this thread, please do so. You clearly don’t have a clue. There’s nothing in the firmware release notes about this, there’s no 6x speed limitation on any media I’ve tested either, and this has nothing to do with -R media.

Further posts from you will be deleted.

Here’s a scan on a TY disc that was completed, this disc fails all file checks and the scandisc results are posted above.

From B372 Doc

1. Add DVD-R support
    FUJIFILM03 8x
    RITEKG05 8x
    TYG02 8x

From B373 Doc

DVD-R 6x
MCC 02RG20
ProdiscS04
RITEKG05
TYG02
FUJIFILM03
CMC MAG AE1

Note the dropping of 8x to 6x as I stated. My doc from Nu is more comprehensive, yet they do not seem to have posted this. Info above though is from released doc on their website.

Since your further posts its now clear that your problem is not occurring on -R
However there are no 8x +R issues that I am aware of or that my Nu contacts are aware of. I have also asked all the testers with Nu drives so far and none have reported any issues at 8x on +R. As a test on the latest firmware I just burned two RICOHJPNR01 discs at 8x on both the 081 and 082 and both are fine.

Lets refrain from stating Nu drives are junk shall we?

Here’s a MCC +R data disc test. This is the only true 8x burn I’ve seen thus far, so at least I know that the drive will burn at 8x on some media, some of the time. The successful 8x data disc posted above was on Ricoh JPNR01, but it was the only successful 8x burn on R01, out of about 6 I’ve tried.

From B372 Doc

1. Add DVD-R support
    FUJIFILM03 8x
    RITEKG05 8x
    TYG02 8x

From B373 Doc

DVD-R 6x
MCC 02RG20
ProdiscS04
RITEKG05
TYG02
FUJIFILM03
CMC MAG AE1

Note the dropping of 8x to 6x as I stated. My doc from Nu is more comprehensive, yet they do not seem to have posted this. Info above though is from released doc on their website.

However there are no 8x +R issues that I am aware of or that my Nu contacts are aware of. I have also asked all the testers with Nu drives so far and none have reported any issues at 8x on +R. As a test on the latest firmware I just burned two RICOHJPNR01 discs at 8x on both the 081 and 082 and both are fine.

Here’s a RicohR01 burned @ 8X on my DDW-082. I have seen some issues with the Ricoh discs on this drive depending on which batch I use but for the most part they burn O.K. I’ll post a speed graph and I’ll create a Nero data disc to compare. One thing I know for sure is the drive is not writing DVD-R lead-in properly.

From B372 Doc

1. Add DVD-R support
    FUJIFILM03 8x
    RITEKG05 8x
    TYG02 8x

From B373 Doc

DVD-R 6x
MCC 02RG20
ProdiscS04
RITEKG05
TYG02
FUJIFILM03
CMC MAG AE1

From B372 Doc

1. Add DVD-R support
    FUJIFILM03 8x
    RITEKG05 8x
    TYG02 8x

From B373 Doc

DVD-R 6x
MCC 02RG20
ProdiscS04
RITEKG05
TYG02
FUJIFILM03
CMC MAG AE1

From B372 Doc

1. Add DVD-R support
    FUJIFILM03 8x
    RITEKG05 8x
    TYG02 8x

From B373 Doc

DVD-R 6x
MCC 02RG20
ProdiscS04
RITEKG05
TYG02
FUJIFILM03
CMC MAG AE1

Here’s Ritek R03 burned at 8x. Clearly the drive had no reservations about producing poor quality with this disc, so why did it not slow the speed the way it does with better media like TY or R01 Ricoh? Very strange behaviour.

Same disc:

From B372 Doc

1. Add DVD-R support
    FUJIFILM03 8x
    RITEKG05 8x
    TYG02 8x

From B373 Doc

DVD-R 6x
MCC 02RG20
ProdiscS04
RITEKG05
TYG02
FUJIFILM03
CMC MAG AE1

Note the dropping of 8x to 6x as I stated. My doc from Nu is more comprehensive, yet they do not seem to have posted this. Info above though is from released doc on their web site.

From B372 Doc

1. Add DVD-R support
    FUJIFILM03 8x
    RITEKG05 8x
    TYG02 8x

From B373 Doc

DVD-R 6x
MCC 02RG20
ProdiscS04
RITEKG05
TYG02
FUJIFILM03
CMC MAG AE1

From B372 Doc

1. Add DVD-R support
    FUJIFILM03 8x
    RITEKG05 8x
    TYG02 8x

From B373 Doc

DVD-R 6x
MCC 02RG20
ProdiscS04
RITEKG05
TYG02
FUJIFILM03
CMC MAG AE1

Note the dropping of 8x to 6x as I stated. My doc from Nu is more comprehensive, yet they do not seem to have posted this. Info above though is from released doc on their web site.