Ntsc to pal

vbimport

who can convert my three sets of sci-fi cd s from ntsc to pal keeping the original quality as on the television. at the moment the quality of playback is terrible.

“Some Americans may have sent video home movies to a European relative, only to discover that the images are scrambled and the sound quality is very poor. This is caused by a major difference in broadcast formats used by the United States and many other countries. The United States favors a format called NTSC, which is short for National Television Standards Committee, while Europe, Australia and parts of Asia use a competing format called PAL, or Phase Alternating Line.”

"Another difference between NTSC and PAL formats is resolution quality. PAL may have fewer frames per second, but it also has more lines than NTSC. PAL television broadcasts contain 625 lines of resolution, compared to NTSC’s 525. More lines usually means more visual information, which equals better picture quality and resolution. Whenever an NTSC videotape is converted to PAL, black bars are often used to compensate for the smaller screen aspect, much like letterboxing for widescreen movies. "

“For most purposes, the difference between NTSC and PAL signals are negligible. A European television set won’t work in the United States and an NTSC formatted DVD won’t play on a PAL player. But many people own home movies which cannot be viewed on a competing format. For this reason, there are a number of companies which offer conversion kits from NTSC to PAL or PAL to NTSC. Some of these conversion methods can be time-consuming and variable in quality, but others provide an easy way to create a PAL video for a European relative or an NTSC DVD for a Canadian friend. Some electronic media outlets may also provide conversion services for a price.”

So knowing this you will loose some quality in the conversion. As mentioned by the above quotes going one way or another isn’t equal to quality out.

I don’t think the quality loose will be dramatic or anything. Here are some guides on how do that Link

[QUOTE=andah;2489724]who can convert my three sets of sci-fi cd s from ntsc to pal keeping the original quality as on the television. at the moment the quality of playback is terrible.[/QUOTE]

First of all, I’m sure you meant Sci-Fi ‘DVDs’ and not CDs…correct?

About the fastest and easiest way to do what you want is to patch the IFOs using IFOEdit… works 99.9% of the time.
All you’d be doing is changing commands in the IFOs, so the video would remain in tact, same as the original since there would be no re-encoding of the videos.
Here’s a guide…
http://forum.lgsoftwareinnovations.com/showthread.php?t=25689

Since the beginning of the 90s (in PAL-land) TVs have been able to handle NTSC signals?
Describe terrible…
//Danne