NTSC to PAL jerky video

Ok, basically I now have a 29.970fps NTSC video file, what I want to do is convert it to 25fps PAL.

Normally I just use VirtualDub+BeSweet to change it from 23.976 to 25.000, as they are so close anyway the slight speed change isn’t noticeable (its around 4%). I tried the same with the 29.970fps, and it was really slow with the speech sounding deeper. I tried NeroVision Express, the sound was fine, and was pretty much the same time, but then it looks really jerky.

Any ideas how I could kind of get it to “blend” the frames together, and not just delete every nth frame, so I can get a smooth PAL video?.

Regards,

Ben :slight_smile:

Bump

Heya,

I once had a DVD sent over from America and i wanted it in PAL so i used parts of this tutorial (i didnt use DVDMaestro or Nero, i used TMPG DVD author and CloneDVD) http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=62671

Remember in the conversion to tick the NTSC to PAL box!!!

Hope this helps!!!

I tried that, but it still wont turn out right, it slows it down loads so the speech is really deep, video slow, and the film time much longer.

Is there any way to “blend” the frames together so it isnt jerky, and remains around the same time?

I’m sorry i dunno… there is only one guy who can answer this question CHICKENMAN!!! PM him to look at the topic…

Thanks for the confidence guys, but I am trying to retire from these forum :smiley: :smiley:

I dont think I have ever coverted a 29.97 NTSC clip to PAL simply because every DVD Player here in Australia can play not only PAL but NTSC. So no need for conversions.

But anyway, over at Standard Conversions ( http://www.geocities.com/xesdeeni2001/StandardsConversion/index.html#NTSCVideoDVD2PALDVD ), they have a guide for NTSC 29.97 DVD to 25 PAL DVD, you should be able to use the avisynth script in DVD2SVCD.

Canopus Procoder is very good at NTSC/PAL conversions.
I think it is possible also with Procoder express.

I tried canopus, it did a great job, but for some reason the output was really dark (about 10% out), I tried with both XviD and uncompressed AVI. Any ideas how to solve this? If so that would solve the whole problem.

Adjust the prefiltering in Canopus, brighten it up.
Click the Advanced button, Video filters tab, Add, Color correction, OK, move the slider(s).

You can try the “601 Correction Expand Color Space” filter in Procoder.

AviSynth with a interlacer filter? I’m not sure I fully understand the problem though.

EDIT: Was the original source film or true NTSC?

It was 29.970, 720x480, I think thats true NTSC.

I tried the filters, it seems by default to do darken, and filters made it look odd.
Is it normal for Procoder to do this, I think it may be conflicting with a other video program/codec.

Yeah but if it a feature film that was converted to NTSC then you could just inverse telecine back to 24fps (the standard for film) and then speed it up slightly to 25fps which is the most common way that films are converted to PAL for DVD release.

I convert 24>25 just by speeding up, but 30>25 is too much.
If I convert from 30>24 will it be jerky video?

It depends on the method, I’ve never used NeroVision express but it sounds like it just decimated enough frames to get down to 25fps. If it’s been taken from film then you can just use the method I mentioned above which has always worked well for me. If it’s video then I’m not 100% sure, would probably just involve a couple filters in AviSynth (I’m assuming your source is interlaced?). But if you have Canopus Procoder then I’d just figure why it’s behaving oddly and use it, I’ve heard it’s the best method for NTSC to PAL conversion although I’ve never used it.

Yeh, the other way doesnt seem to work, so I really now just need help getting procoder to stop encoding it so dark, even with no filters.

Hi BCN_246,

Try Tmpgenc and check that you have chosen the correct output(i.e Pal Also select Pulldown which converts the NTSC Video to Pal ) If you have probs with the audio in the output then demux it before conversion and use Pulldown.exe(freeware cmd line utility) seperately on the audio stream, process the elementary video stream in Tmpgenc as usual and then mux the 2 streams outputted to the final file(note that you have to select the frame rate in Pulldown to wahat you want). Simple one step way would be to use DVD2SVCD(guide to do this is online) But it uses the same tools and the same process. Have done it both ways myself.

Hope this helps. No probs with brightness in this case.