Ntsc or pal

vbimport

If I burn a PAL movie to dvd does this lessen my chances that it will play in some DVD players? Should I stick to burning only NTSC movies? I noticed it makes no difference on my DVD players at home but my friends say some of the DVDs I burn don’t play for them. Does the region make a difference with compatibility?

Should I burn DVDs to dvd-r or should I burn them to dvd+r and set the booktype to DVD rom? What is most compatible?

if your dvd player plays both PAL and NTSC then it should be alright but not all dvd palyers can play both formats. Also I just learned on this forum that not all dvd players can play a region free dvd. As for what type to use dvd-r or dvd+r it depends on if the dvd player can play those types. I always use dvd-r and they play fine in my dvd players and all of my players play both PAL and NTSC formats.

The incompatibility has nothing to do with region coding, unless you leave region code ON during rip and it is different from the player. If the DVD is region free, than definitely no problem.
Most likely it is the media (DVD brand) you use. Some players are more picky than others.
If you use DVD+R, book type it to DVD-ROM during burn, this could also be a reason they do not play.
DVD - or+DL are problematic still to this day, will not play on all standalone players.
The media recommended by most is Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden all
DVD-R.
Try to burn at 1/2 rated speed of DVD (if 8x burn at 4x).
If you are in North America, majority players will play only NTSC format, some will play both, but usualy bought at special stores.

I know guys that burn professonially, and they say to burn NTSC. Most Pal players can play NTSC dvd’s. But the same is not true for NTSC players being able to play PAL. Some can, but not most…

[QUOTE=harley2ride;2022459]I know guys that burn professonially, and they say to burn NTSC. Most Pal players can play NTSC dvd’s. But the same is not true for NTSC players being able to play PAL. Some can, but not most…[/QUOTE]

This is what i thought. I do use TY watershield dvd-r disks. I burn them slow and check for errors and they look good. Im sure its the pal / ntsc issue preventing the disks from playing on some players.

[QUOTE=djtroy;2023034]This is what i thought. I do use TY watershield dvd-r disks. I burn them slow and check for errors and they look good. Im sure its the pal / ntsc issue preventing the disks from playing on some players.[/QUOTE]

Not necessarily. My ONKYO DVD player will only play -R media. It will not play ANY +R media. One of my other DVD players only played +R media. So I started using +R and bitsetting to -ROM. That fixed all my problems. I sent dvd’s (home video) to about 20 family members, and nobody had problems playing my verbatim +r, bitset to -rom.

That might be an option for you to try.

[QUOTE=harley2ride;2023116]Not necessarily. My ONKYO DVD player will only play -R media. It will not play ANY +R media. One of my other DVD players only played +R media. So I started using +R and bitsetting to -ROM. That fixed all my problems. I sent dvd’s (home video) to about 20 family members, and nobody had problems playing my verbatim +r, bitset to -rom.

That might be an option for you to try.[/QUOTE]

Thanks I will try this. Too bad i cant get super glossy TY Watershields in dvd+r