NTSC 16.9 plays as letterbox in UK

Apologies if posted in the wrong place. I have tried searching and havent found the answer to my question.. I have a NTSC dvd 720x480(16.9) when I play the DVD in either a PC or 16.9 TV in UK I get black bars at the top and bottom, is there a way I can redo the DVD so it is normal 16.9 ie without the black bars ( I dont want to convert to PAL as I lose the menus and extras).
I suspect the answer is no which is why I havent been able to find an answer. Thanks in advance…

what dvd is it ?? and whats the AR of the dvd ?? 1.85, 2.35 (says on the back of the case)??

Is your dvd player set correctly to output to 16.9, you pc is it a WS monitor. Do you get this when playing pal dvds ??

Movies with a ratio or 2.35 or 2.40 will have small black bars top and bottom on a ws tv.

Little bit more info if you can.

Most DVD are not in 16:9 ratio and authoring software will not tell you anything but that.
That is why black stripe on top and bottom of the movie.
I am in NTSC region and get same thing on my player with most movies.
It is normal.
Do not fix it because you will have to cut sides of the picture to get 1.78 ratio.
If you get PAL version and play both you will see that the PAL picture is missing side scenery.
Look at this site.
http://www.widescreen.org/widescreen.shtml

Thanks for the reply Yoda. its Quest for Fire NTSC 2.35 anamorphic. looks like youve answered the question in terms of the black bars. My PC is normal monitor but the media players can play in either mode (I appreciate it will not be correct). DVD is set correctly. My TV a 16.9 W/S and when PAL plays OK, Ive noticed it happens rarely with a film broadcast.
Is there a way to recode or is it just something Ive got to accept. Just done a search and the PAL version is in 1.78, would this view OK? if so looks like Ill have to buy the PAL DVD as well…

to update my search for a UK version it is available from HMV in 2.35 AR and Amazon at 1.78AR…both Region 2…
What one do I go for to view on a W/STV?

Personally I’d stick with the 2.35 AR to get the whole width of the picture and accept the black bars. The UK 2.35 AR version should display exactly as the one you currently have so I’d not bother to buy another.
Of course you might be able to set your DVD player/TV to display it as though it were a true 16:9 movie.

Welcome to CDF btw.

Thanks CDuncle and TimC.
What pictue would I get with the 1.78AR?
Thanks for the welcome…

Full screen on a WS TV. That AR is true 16:9

If you look at the web site I suggested, that is what you get in 1.78AR of that movie.
Sides will be cut off.

I already know this my good man… was just trying to establish acouple more things to help the OP out.

Not all 1.78 movies will have the sides cropped off, if they was originally film at 1.78 then they wont, if they was filmed at 2.35 then yeah the side would be removed to get it to 1.78.

I would rather watch a movie at its intended of 2.35 than watch a cropped version.

That site needs updating though, i remember check there years back. You can tell its old though with a statment saying “Unfortunately, modern televisions are only 1.33 times as wide as they are high, referred to as 1.33:1 or 4:3”

I looked at that site before I raised the question and thought it a bit out of date and just aimed at the USA market where apparently W/S isn`t as big (no pun intended).

With the last comments it seems that even with 1.78 there is no guarantee of a full W/S picture.

How can I tell what I am buying… As this is IMO a classic oldish film which has some brilliant landscape scenes… I want my TV filled to the max…

All dvds state on the back what ratio they are. Common ratio’s are 1.85 and 2.35, you do get some that are 2.40 (minority report is one).

If you have a ws tv widescreen movies with a ratio of 1.78 and 1.85 will fill the screen, movie with a ratio of 2.35 and 2.40 will have black bars top and bottom

What was being said above was thus… you said the NTSC version you have states 2.35 but the PAL version states 1.78 there for with that film it is most likely that the pal version has been cropped down to 1.78, there for in this case the NTSC version would be better as you see more of the picture.

This from what i have seen is a very uncommon thing in fact i think its the first time i heard of such a thing. Normally if a NTSC film has a ratio of 2.35 then the pal version will also.

Try to convert your file from Wide-Screen to full Screen using DVDShrink + Nero.

Sorry if I offended you. I just wanted to emphasize what you said.
As for the site, it is an old one, but still talk about the problem most people see when getting wide screen TV and thinking all the movies will cover whole screen.

Na its cool you didn’t offend me.

I wouldn’t recommend this as converting from ws to fs will lose you alot of the image as you will have to crop off the sides. You did say the say has some really nice landscape scene in which case to see them in all there glory leave the film as is.

Guerre du feu, La (1981) film title 2.20 : 1
35 mm
70 mm (blow-up)
2.20 : 1 (70 mm prints)
2.35 : 1

DVD Studio: 20th Century Fox

Release Date: 2003-03-04

DVD Format: Keep Case, Widescreen Anamorphic, 2.35:1, Closed Captioned
Above taken from IMDB…

Quest For Fire [1981]
Region: Region 2 ( DVD formats.)
Aspect Ratio: 1.78:1
Above from Amazon…

Widescreen 2.35:1 Anamorphic
Dolby Digital 5.1
Region 2 / PAL / Colour
above from HMV

At a guess i would say amazon have mad a mistake. Play also has it down as 2.35.