.nrg vs .iso

Have have a request. Would it be possible for NeroLinux to do either of two things on the next version? If creating an image using the image recorder, would it be possible for an option for a standard .iso to be provided instead of the .nrg images. The reason I say this is because an .nrg image isn’t moutable becuase it’s some proprietary format. I do have nrg2iso to convert them to standard iso’s and then they are mountable to the file system.

Alternatively, if THAT isn’t an option, what about something like ImageDrive to mount an .nrg image. This might be more difficult for the Nero people because of the way hardware works in Linux and the variations between distro’s. I’m thinking that option one would be easier. In Windows this hasn’t been a problem because of the ImageDrive availability.

Oh…one more thing…the thing I REALLY MISS (and there really isn’t much from the Windows world) is the Cover Designer. Is Nero planning on porting some of the other modules over any time soon?

NeroLinux is developing nicely and really is becoming a very nice application with each subsequent release. I only look forward to further capability and refinement. Thanks, Nero

Although there is a slight difference between ISO and NRG, I believe this to be in the headers of the file only. I can mount an nrg file as an iso here without poblems (mount -o loop <nero_file> <path>), and I am pretty sure that if I burn an nrg file with let’s say cdrecord that it will work.

Just my 5 cents :stuck_out_tongue:

Uh…OK…I will try again! I haven’t been successful doing that as it calls it
a wrong file type…I’ll check a few more options out (I had been using the -o loop
option all the while)…so maybe I can get it to work…and I agree about the
writing of the file…I’m not all that concerned…but thanks and I’ll check it out
again!

Bob

Nope, can’t mount no matter WHAT I do…if I convert to an .iso then mounting is fine. When you say mounting an nrg “as an iso” what command are you using EXPLICITLY? I have been using the -o loop and also specifying the -t iso9660 file type…I have tried several other combinations of things and nothing works…but again, it’s not a BIG deal as I can convert to an iso very simply with the nrg2iso program…it just seems a little silly to have a proprietary format for something as standard as an iso image.

There is a subtle difference between the .nrg format and the .iso format.
ISO9660 images, as the name already hints, are limited to storing a file-system in ISO9660 format. Thus, this file format cannot be used to store audio content or even TOC information, only the file-system of a single track on a CD/DVD can be represented.
In contrast to that the .nrg format is generic enough to be able to represent any disc layout Nero can produce, e.g. mixed mode discs, CD-Audio, CD-Extra, everything Nero can produce either by mastering or by CD/DVD-Copy.

If all you’re writing is a ISO9660 filesystem, the .NRG image created in Track at Once mode can be mounted just like an ISO9660 filesystem image file (.iso).
Images created in Disc-At-Once mode have a slightly more complicated layout that will need you to specify an offset from which to read the ISO9660 file-system as it has other information prepended. I’m not sure whether this offset is constant so the safest way is to resort to creating TAO images.

Thanks, AndyE! That helps a lot in the understanding of the difference and also explains the reason for making your own format!!! My next question would be then, to make it EASY to mount an .nrg image, are you guys planning on eventually coming up with some sort of /dev emulator like “imagedrive” to mount these images? Again, it’s not really a big deal, but just wondering.

Second, even with complex .nrg images, including all kinds of “stuff” that a normal .iso image supposedly can’t do, why can nrg2iso convert the .nrg image to an .iso image so easily and all of the stuff on the disk is readable and writable? It would seem that making that converson on the fly wouln’t be all that difficult. Either way, like I said before, this is not a big issue and you have done a lot to help explain this better.

Thanks

And, of course, you are correct…I just made an image TAO and it mounts just fine with the normal options…thanks for the tip!

Bob

You have to keep in mind that whoever wants to convert his .nrg image into an .iso image will probably not expect anything else on the .iso image than the pure file-system. If the CD/DVD image doesn’t contain anything else (e.g. audio tracks) there is absolutely no problem doing so and all file within the ISO9660 file-system will be readable. However, trying to do so with a .nrg image containing audio tracks (created from an Audio CD project) will not create a valid .iso image because .iso images cannot represent audio tracks.

Porting ImageDrive to Linux is not possible as it is a Windows device driver. So we’d have to create something like ImageDrive from scratch. While this sounds like an interesting project I’m not aware of any plans to do so.

However, I think that knowing some details about the .nrg format it should be possible to create a script that will mount all .nrg images that contain a file-system (data track). It is important to note, however, that this is not a replacement for an Image-Drive like application as only CD/DVD media with pure data tracks can be emulated this way. You cannot process .nrg images created from CD-Audio this way as audio tracks are not accessible through the file-system.

Thanks for the great explanation… explains a lot.

Yes, this has been one of the most imformative replies to a post that I have seen…
hats off to AndyE for clarifying all of this for us! I understand and will enjoy the
capabilities of the .nrg format!

Thanks a lot!

Just to add: Who is this masked man, AndyE??? What a wonderful addition
to the forums!!! Thanks at Nero for having an expert oversee this and help us
to understand some of the more technical aspects of this. It shows that Nero
is committed to this platform and has a lot of knowledge to back it up!

Thanks again!

These should help you, too:

KISO for KDE: http://kiso.sourceforge.net/
MountISO for KDE: http://www.jinjiru.ru/index/mountiso
NRG2ISO CLI: http://gregory.kokanosky.free.fr/v4/linux/nrg2iso.en.html