NPD: Windows 7 launch a success

vbimport

I just posted the article NPD: Windows 7 launch a success.

The recent debut of Microsoft Windows 7 has been deemed a success, as sales numbers compiled by the NPD Group indicates Windows 7 sales have crushed opening day sales of Windows Vista.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/npd-windows-7-launch-a-success-22010/](http://www.myce.com/news/npd-windows-7-launch-a-success-22010/)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

I have loaded it on one of my computers and it is vista corrected from what I can see which makes it a much better software. In my case I still like xp better overall but I will not remove windows 7 form the computer I installed it on, since overall it is a good program.

[QUOTE=samlar;2462546]I have loaded it on one of my computers and it is vista corrected from what I can see which makes it a much better software. In my case I still like xp better overall but I will not remove windows 7 form the computer I installed it on, since overall it is a good program.[/QUOTE]
Funny you say that, I loaded Windows 7 Professional 64 bit when it was released and it scared me when it booted up the first time and I heard the Vista chime. :eek: My first thought was oh no but I have been very happy so far no crashes or hangs and I have already retired my tried and trusted XP Professional because this one works so well, so far. (Fingers crossed!!)

Some of the interface I don’t like in Win 7 compared to XP. ie Can’t pin drives, folders to the taskbar. No way of putting cut, copy, paste icons on file manager tool bar. No way when your in a directory or going up on level unless you edit the URL bar. But overall it seems stable enough…

I’m sure glad I skipped Vista on my own PCs. Even though that OS has been improved since it first launched, nearly everyone I knew who had bought a PC or laptop with Vista complained over its performance. What didn’t help was that PC Manufacturers really skimped on the RAM, especially in 2007 when many Vista computers were sold with just 512MB of RAM. :eek: No wonder users were complaining of 5+ minute boot times, especially with the amount of software “extras” PC manufacturers bundle pre-loaded on to their machines.

So far I haven’t seen what Windows 7 is like prebundled with a computer littered with all the manufacturer’s bundled software, but with my own clean installations on various hardware, it performs about as well as XP on the same PCs as long as it’s given 2GB+ of RAM. It really does well when installed on an SSD. With my OCZ Agility 60GB and Core i5 based system, it takes just 20 seconds to boot to the welcome screen with the browser (Firefox or IE8) appearing within a second of launching it as soon as the desktop appears.

The interface took a little while to get use to, although I’m sure it will take longer for those who have little or no experience with Vista. I actually do like the new taskbar icons, especially since I’m a heavy multitasker.

@paulw2 - Here’s a few workarounds you can try:

Unfortunately, pinning a drive/folder is a little more awkward, with some rather tedious methods (some with editing code :eek:) posted around on various websites, but here’s how I do it:

[ol]
[li]Create a new shortcut on the desktop or in a folder to the drive/folder.[/li][li]Go into the properties of this shortcut.[/li][li]Change the icon to something that describes this drive/folder (I’ll explain in a minute).[/li][li]In the “Target:” field, type in "Explorer " (with space) before the path, e.g.: explorer W:[/li][li]Click ‘OK’ and drag this shortcut to the taskbar to pin it. :)[/li][/ol]

When choosing an icon, I would suggest picking something that describes the content rather than a generic folder or drive icon. E.g. A camera icon for pictures. Otherwise it’ll be difficult to tell one from another. In the following example, it’s not clear what drive or folder these two pinned shortcuts point to, where as the camera icon clearly means photos:

I didn’t notice the copy & paste icons missing until now, likely since I’m so use to the Ctrl + X (Cut), Ctrl + C (copy) and Ctrl + V (Paste) shortcuts.

For the parent folder, you just click the parent folder name. In this example, I would click “Scanner” to move up to this parent folder, “Photographs” to move up two parent folder levels, etc.:

Yes it does look like some of the things that were in xp and useful they forgot to add to windows 7 I had a time figure out how to add a icon for a folder I had programs I use a lot to the distop. It looks to me like with both vista and windows 7 they started from scratch to write it with the focus on the new things they wanted to add, but doing this it left out some of the simple things in xp that would have been nice in window 7.

I just got my copy of Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit yesterday. Another one has already been installed on my brothers HP dv-7 Laptop. I must say that this is a big difference compared to the previous installed version of Vista.

However, I’ll install it on my Quad Core sys this weekend since I’m really curious how the final version works with this system. The tested RC appeared to have a problem with the installed Asus P5Q-E motherboard (when going into power saving mode the mobo has sometimes been reseted to factory defaults, like after a removed battery).