NPD Group: consumers deleting music files from PC hard drives

I just posted the article NPD Group: consumers deleting music files from PC hard drives.

As a result of the RIAA's anti-piracy campaign that  has been running for the last couple of months now, in August of this year more  than a million households deleted all the digital  music...
Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/7060-NPD-Group-consumers-deleting-music-files-from-PC-hard-drives.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/7060-NPD-Group-consumers-deleting-music-files-from-PC-hard-drives.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

i wonder how they know people delete stuff from their pc

Thats exactly what i was thinking

i think it was a survey?

14 Million deleted their music? More than likely to make room for more!:B

Well, can’t say I joined them :B

Obviously this number includes every person who had a drive crash or formatted their drive to clean upgrade to XP. I’ve been getting into buying my music now, even songs I already have gotten from P2P services and I don’t even delete the illegal copies!

People switched to Kazaa lite+++ what idiots.

Load of BS in my opinion. I reckon their measure of ‘Deleted Music’ is just music that is no longer shared on Kazzaa or whatever else that was previously by that user. I reckon users just smartened up and moved their files to a new dir not shared. If not then this company is in for some SERIOUS lawsuits as monitoring anyones computer and the activities on it without permission or legal permission is totallly illegal!! People aint deleting songs - they’re just growing brains!!

im sure before they deleted them they backed them up as data on cdr! :B
[edited by siliconsoul on 06.11.2003 20:35]
[edited by siliconsoul on 06.11.2003 20:35]

Nila is correct, I am sure. I am sure they are just tracking how many people have removed files from their shared directories in P2P apps. That only proves people are scared, doesn’t prove they are deleting them overall. However this is a win for the record companies, as the less music is shared, the harder it is to get a valid file. But either way, the company is misrepresenting their findings, and overstating the impact. The media then jumps uncritically on the story, and all of a sudden millions of illegal tracks are deleted!!! I would be bet that less than 10% were actually deleted.