Now This Is Ridiculous!

hers my setup…Ibm thinkpad T21, pentium III…256 of something…80 of the other…Sony drx 800ul external burner…and a 2.0 usb card…heres the problem…it is taking me like 19 min to burn a cd…and after I edit my movies with dvd shrink it takes like 4 hrs to shrink, recode(or whatever dvd shrink does) and burn a dvd…my buddies have pc’s and it only takes like 7 min to burn a cd…anyone have in input on this?..oh and the cd I was burning was not saved to my hard drive…it was directly from the disc…can I get some help PLEASE…

Hi there DJ Smoke

P3 IBM notebook, just 256 mb ram, 80 gigs harddisk and an external writer. Check.

heres the problem…it is taking me like 19 min to burn a cd…and after I edit my movies with dvd shrink it takes like 4 hrs to shrink, recode(or whatever dvd shrink does) and burn a dvd…

So 19 minutes for a cd. 4 hours for a dvd.

my buddies have pc’s and it only takes like 7 min to burn a cd…anyone have in input on this?

Is your buddy’s computer also a P3 notebook with just 256mb ram?

[quote]…oh and the cd I was burning was not saved to my hard drive…it was directly from the disc…can I get some help PLEASE…/QUOTE]

Well, that can be so much things. Could you specify what kind of program you use to write?

your buddy has a newer, better and faster computer; upgrade yours

A couple of weeks ago I had the pleasure of working on yet another computer that had 128mb of memory for a friend with complaints of a slow computer. I can not figure how anyone ever though you could run a win xp system with so little memory. Considering that virus defs on the computer were over a year old I though spyware/viruses and lack of memory. Spybot would not run (not enough memory). Added another 128mb stick (bigest I had as it used sdram). Spybot still wouldn’t run (not enough memory). Ran in safe mode and got it to run.
The moral of the story? 256MB of memory is just barely enough to run windows xp (I assume that is what you are running). It had over 800 spyware programs using about 70MB of memory. Spybot ran in normal mode after cleaning them up. The moral of the story? Reduce what you have running in the background (be it spyware or something you installed). You really don’t have enough memory to be running much in the background. Free up as much of your memory as possible and it might help (a little). Get more memory and it will help even more.
The pentium 3 doesn’t help much either but that might be a little harder to improve on.
One more thing. Defrag your hard drive. It might help speed it up a little. If you want to speed it up a lot, get a faster computer (recodeing/encoding is very dependant on computer power/memory).

MR. BELVE…I am using nero 6…

CC ROMEO…my buddy has an old cheap comp (I forget the name but they go for like 299.99 at wal-mart) and it is a pentium III(e-machine is the name of the comp)

RIPIT…im dj (I guess you can tell by the name)…i try to leave as much space as possible on my comp, because I sometimes use virtual dj and that requires alot of space to run properly…I looked into defragmentation but i wasnt sure what exactly it did…can you explain this to me?..I have spybot on my comp, avg free edition and spyware search and destroy…how do i turn these programs off while im burning cd’s and dvd’s?..and 1 more question(this is completley off topic)…I put a couple of games on my comp and changed the drivers so the games would work properly…ever since then my comp is taking like 4 mins to turn on(it stays on that blue “welcome” page for a while) can anyone explain this to me?..do i need to update my drivers or change them back to whatever the driver was before I changed it…thnx in advance

Excellent! Nero 6 comes with a lot of programs that can test the writing and transfer speed of your drives. Could you start the infotool and the cd/dvd speed test and post some screenshots?

because I sometimes use virtual dj and that requires alot of space to run properly…

If this program is running resident in the memory, wouldn’t it also require a lot of other resources such as IO transfers and CPU cycles? That could explain the time it takes Nero to come with a successful written dvd.

I looked into defragmentation but i wasnt sure what exactly it did…can you explain this to me?..I have spybot on my comp, avg free edition and spyware search and destroy…how do i turn these programs off while im burning cd’s and dvd’s?..

Most of those programs have an icon left next to the clock in the windows taskbar. Right click on these icons and execute the appropriate selection.

nd 1 more question(this is completley off topic)…I put a couple of games on my comp and changed the drivers so the games would work properly…ever since then my comp is taking like 4 mins to turn on(it stays on that blue “welcome” page for a while) can anyone explain this to me?

I think some drivers are fighting with others. Can i suggest making a backup of your Windows system, then format the harddisk and use an nLite installation? Using nLite you can manually include appropriate drivers, tools and programs while getting rid of the old ones thus making an excellent slipstreamed Windows XP installation cd.

…do i need to update my drivers or change them back to whatever the driver was before I changed it…thnx in advance

You could also use System Restore for that, but i wouldn’t recommend it at this point.

In the version of nero that I have thier is an icon in start smart that says test drive. Start that and run the burst rate under run test. You will need a dvd in the drive when you do.
When your computer constantlly writes and erases to the hard drive, various files get split up into little chunks all over the hard drive, and your computer will start to have to jump around all over the hard drive just to read a single file (even if you are not writing and erasing, the programs you use are). Defraging moves stuff around so that each file is all in the same location so you can read faster from your hard drive.
Fyi I didn’t mean to imply that spybot and such take a lot of memory (unless you are running a scan while burning). The programs that they remove can take a lot of memory, so defanatlly run the spyware programs to clean up your computer. Especially spybot (I think it is a great program).
As Mr. Belvedere said, virtual dj may be taking a lot of your resourses. If you are using win xp, click ctrl, alt del to open task manager. Under the performance tab, you can see how much physical memory is in use, avalable etc. and how much of your cpu power is in use. You can leave this task manager window open while you are encoding/burning to see if your cpu is limiting you (if it stays peged at 100 percent the whole time it is probably limiting you). You can see if you are running out of physical memory during the process (which can really slow things down if your avalable physical memory gets to low). Under the processes tab, you can see everything running in the back ground that is using cpu power and memory and how much each thing is using. You can of course also leave this window up while burning or doing whatever to see what is using up your resources. Too much stuff running in the back ground can really slow things down, especially with your limited memory.
The processes tab is more of a pain in the but, because there will probably be at least 30 things running, maybe even 50-60 and the names of the processes probably wont make much sence. You have to go through the processes (start with the ones that are using a lot of memory and or cpu power). Just type the name of the process into a google search to find out what it is. You may find a few things that are taking a lot of system resources that you really don’t even need. For instance I just realized that nopdb was taking about 32MB of my phisical memory. I typed nopdb into google, and found that it is a speed disk scedule program (damn bloated norton). Speed disk defrags your hard drive, but it is taking 32 MB of memory at all times, just to watch and scedule automatic defrags. I’ll kill that (go into norton and change settings) to free up 32 MB of memory, and just occationally run speed disk manually myself. Look for what is using up your systems resources.
Fyi I wouldn’t disable spybot or avg antivirus. They take system resources but they are a nessasary evil. Virus activity can still go on while you are burning (even if you are not conected to the internet at the time) so you want them monitoring. I meant more to imply that a program like spybot (that only needs 20-30 MB of memory to run), still didn’t have enough memory to run, because spyware was using all the memory (running spybot and adaware to get rid of memory stealing spyware, freed up about 70 MB of memory which you really cannot afford to lose on a system with only 256MB of memory).

Hopefully some of what Mr. Belvedere and me have recomended can help you get it running a little quicker. Let us know how things go.

As far as dvdshrink is concerned if you have deep analysis turned on it will increase the time 50% or longer to process the video.

Media choice can also affect the write speed so you may not achieve the max capability of your drive if you have a slower rated media or if the media is not suitable for your drive.

As to not writing to your hdd that may depend on whether the files are being cached or not so that could be deceiving.

this is true, but only comes into play if any compression is applied. and if you’re compressing, and don’t have deep analysis checked, the end quality isn’t going to be as good as if you had done the deep analysis.

just wanted to make sure the original poster was aware of what this option does before he just sees it as a quick time fix. if you’re not as concerned with quality or have burned a few test discs and think they look fine then by all means deselect this, but I prefer to wait the extra time.

@reasonsnotrules
Your point is well taken.
My comment only had to do with the slowness of the process. Especially if he is comparing it to someone else who may have chosen a shorter route.

I agree that in some high action movies or when significant transcoding is needed I too use that feature. Many times though I will leave out secondary language tracks and insert my own still frames for ads and warnings and then use normal transcode. The results are very good on my 32". I might be more critical on a larger set or when I buy my projector.
I only backup my own discs to protect the originals so can always go back if I don’t like the results.
A transcoder can’t really beat a high end re-encode but of course then the simplicity and ease of use is lost for the new user. :slight_smile:

Burner being EXTERNAL is just one part as to why it’s SlooOwW…
Second your trying to copy-on-the-fly…
Thirdly your doing DeepAnalysis in Shrink…
No Wonder it’s takeing you YEARS…

Use Burner Internaly, Copy to Hard Disk, Turn OFF DeepAnalysis, you Don’t really need it running…Good Luck

[Edit: Nevermind, missed the part about it being a USB 2.0 card.]