Novice user needs help updating/checking firmware

Hello everyone,

I am a novice user who is experiencing problems with freezing and pixelation when copying some dvds. I have searched forums here and determined a couple of solutions that I think I should start with. One is getting better media which is easy and even i can do. The other involves checking to see if i have the correct/updated firmware for my dvd burner. I have a compaq presario CN500 notebood with a HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GMA-4082N optical drive. I am using dvd cloaner iv to burn. Most of what i back up are of good quality but sometimes, i have problems with pixelation and freezing/skipping. I want to update and/or make sure i have the correct firmware for the drive, but i don’t have a clue how to do this or how to flash the firmware if required. Can anybody help a technologically challenged newbie?

Your help would be greatly appreciated. :bow:

Hi and Welcome:

The thread is a guide for Nero CD-DVD Speed. Near the beginning of the guide (below the “Main Window”) is a discussion of how you can determine your drive’s firmware version.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f96/cd-dvd-speed-user-guide-192563/

One place to get the utility is below:

http://www.cdspeed2000.com/

I appreciate the links. I read the guide but it’s pretty much all greek to me. How do I know if the firmware i have is the current one and if i need to upgrade, how do i do it. Is it the same as flashing the bios? I need more basic help. Treat me like a total idiot or maybe a flash link for dummies type thing.

Info from Nero info:

Nero InfoTool 4.4.0.0

Drive Information

Drive : HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GMA-4082N
Type : DVD±R/RW DL Recorder
Firmware Version : HQ04
Buffer Size : 2 MB
Date : ?
Serial Number : K0866N23434
Vendor Specific :
Drive Letter : F:
Mechanism : Tray
Read Speed : 31 X
Write Speed : n/a

Can anyone provide me with a link to upgrade this firmware if necessary and explain how to do it for me. Thanks.

The problems are related to CHEAP media used, most likely.

Use Verbatim or TY media!

The only reasons for upgrading firmware are: You are having problems with your burner recognizing or burning the only media available in your area, your burner doesn’t support a function such as bitsetting, and there is a hacked firmware which allows it, or some other reason which makes it necessary. The majority of users NEVER need to upgrade their firmware. Yes I have updated mine on a couple of drives over the years, simply because the drives were very good at some functions, but wouldn’t bitset without updating firmware. There is always a slim chance that your attempt at updating the firmware can ruin the drive and render it inoperable.

If you problem is simply due to you using cheap media, and better quality media is available, then just buy better media. If you search the forums for your drives make and model, you can find out if firmware upgrades have made much difference for others, before you attempt to do it.