Novice needs speed/lower costs/and info help

[qanda]This thread is about the Patriot Memory RAM STICKS NEEDED, 133X Read Speed. Click here to see full specs[/qanda][qanda]This thread is about the Patriot Memory SD, 2GB, 133X Read Speed. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]I’ve got a home built 601 MHz/32 bit op sys w/two 128 mb’s and a new 512 (PSS512133) that cost up the gazzoo and my rig is still too slow. I need a lower cost way to get the insta speed I need from my Pentium III…SOMEBODY HELP ME PLEASE…BEFORE I THROW THIS THING UP AGAINST THE WALL? (HEY I’M JUST LEARNING THIS STUFF SO IF MY COMMUNICATION SKILLS SEEM SHORT - understand. At least yesterday I installed the 512, never knew it was that easy…I’m not a Tecky but I can change a"battery".

Please consider it’s time to Give up the GHOST.

A 600MHZ will NOT do the job any more for Many Apps and Burning DVDs.

A year ago I went from a 750MHZ to a 1.8MHZ and am Very pleased that it runs just about Any App and Burns are satisfactory.

I recommend an IBM NetVista mini-tower - at least a 1,8 MHZ - as I have.
Specs:

Northwood Chip - very Fast
DDR - 400MHZ 3200MHZ memory - Really speeds things up
I got 1 GHZ for $15 and another for $18 - a year ago

Note the AGP slot is NON functional - to improve Video a PCI card is needed -
the onboard video works fine for me.

it has 2.0 USB.

Ebay auctions $10 to $20 plus shipping.
+++++++++++++++++++++

Another option is Del GX240 1.8GHZ

Has AGP slot for better video.
Uses Pc133 SDRAM which you might use if that is what your 512MHZ is.

But it has USB 1.1 so you need a USB 2.0 Card.

Ebay Desktops sell for $10 and Towers $20 to $30 depending of memory and size of HDD.
++++++++++++++++++

I’ve been looking at IBM Desktop (nonTower) 3.0 GHZ 512MHZ DDR2 and 40GB HDD in the $20 to $30 range plus shipping on Ebay.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I do Local pickup for $20 from an Ebayer that auctions Lots of stuff and has a good Reputation.

I notice SDRAM and DDR is getting more expensive of late because they are not making it anymore (I assume) and so many are putting 1GB or more in their old machines like I am doing.
++++++++++++++++++++

Beware of Dell GX260 and GX270 for the Capacitor Failures.\

HDDs are CHEAP but get all the memory you can with an Ebay auction item -
at least 512MBs.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

In 2000 I spent about $1200 and built an Abit KT7R - then the Caps Blew out.
I used a 750 for a couple of years - and Junked it out - Very happy with what I have - Since I am NOT a Gamer.
It’s the law of diminishing returns - How much faster for the $$$$$$$$$$$.
And do you Really need that speed. I don’t.

Happy hunting.

ZAQ159

[QUOTE=THE LOVE DOCTOR;2290713]

I’ve got a home built 601 MHz/32 bit op sys w/two 128 mb’s and a new 512 (PSS512133) that cost up the gazzoo and my rig is still too slow.[/quote]

A 600MHz machine with 3 memory sticks. (2 x 128 + 1 x 512 = 768MB) check. That’s quite an old machine.

I need a lower cost way to get the insta speed I need from my Pentium III…
You want speed out of a Pentium III in this day and age? I guess stop using Windows XP is out of the question?

At least yesterday I installed the 512, never knew it was that easy…I’m not a Tecky but I can change a"battery".
Be careful mixing different memory modules of different brands. It may lead to very unstable programs.

Zaq159 is right on about slow burning performance with only 600Mhz CPU, but I don’t think adding memory will help and believe CPU speed is the issue for this system. A few years ago I got a NEC 3520A burner to replace my Pioneer DVR-107D on a 750Mhz system and saw little or no improvement. I’d also seen on the CallForHelp show on G4TV before they dropped it that greater than 1000Mhz is needed for decent burning performance. I upgraded to a 2600Mhz system, and ripping and burning times decreased by more than half. On the old 750Mhz system DVDShrink took an hour or more to complete the shrink step, and it takes 30 minutes or less on the 2600Mhz system.

You could probably get decent performance by upgrading to a 1400 or 1500 Mhz CPU if your motherboard supports it. If motherboard doesn’t support it, your only remaining option is to get a new motherboard.

I am a little confused here. You have posted two links to memory which is SecureDigital memory. That is used in digital cameras, cell phones, camcorders and such. Surely you’re not attempting to use that for a RAM substitute?

Pardon the expression, but with the aged components you have, you’re trying to make a “Silk purse out of a sow’s ear”. No offense intended. The components you have are very outdated to say the least.

You would be better to go buy a complete new system, which you can get for around $300-400 which will make what you have now pale in comparison. Check the sales at Frys, or Best Buy. You could also get a heck of bargain on Craigslist.com.

You are way better off that way than putting up with the frustration, time and money spent trying to tweak what you have.

My father tried doing the same thing with his old 1GHZ P3 setup and yup, it only kept him going for a few months until he realized he was going to have to completely upgrade his machine. Honestly with the cost of AMD 64X2 mobos/processors these days, it’s really not worth the hassle of trying to keep a dying machine running. If you are not comfortable building your own then keep an eye out at www.dell.com as they run at least a couple of crazy specials a month that will give you a decent spec machine for very little money.

THANKS TO ALL WHO REPLIED. WILL TAKE ALL ADVICE INTO SERIOUS CONSIDERATION…