Noticeable difference between a Vizio and a name brand LCD (panasonic, etc)

So im on a relatively tight budget for a plasma or LCD. Dont really want to spend much more than $1000 and noticed the vizio TV’s fit well into this range. Dont really want anything bigger than 42."
My question is, springing for a more name brand LCD/plasma (panasonic, etc) and spending a couple hundred more $$$, will that make a noticeable difference in picture quality? I eventually want to hook up a blue ray player to the tv so i want the best i can get for around $1000, but at the same time will go a little bit higher if there is a noticeble difference between a budget model like a vizio and a panasonic or other name brand.

Thanks for the help!

Yo-

Consumers Reports had kind words for the Vizio 60 inch plasma - would do an onsite viewing/comparison to make up my mind - then order from cheapest reliable online or brick & mortar store with good return policy (Costco)-eh!!

I can’t comment on Visio as i haven’t seen them in the UK.
I think you are taking the right approach, [B]bhome83[/B] when deciding on a budget Hi Def system. The screen for now is going to be the most important purchase.
The Panasonic Plasma range are excellent performers. The TH-42PX8B should be within your price range and it is an excellent panel. Also worth considering is the now discontinued TH-PX70. The price on these has been cut here in the UK to £459 and is an excellent plasma panel and has won many awards.

I wouldn’t by a Plasma TV. The LCD’s have a much longer life. Just look at how many old laptops are out there with functioning LCD panels. Sony stopped making Plasma TV’s, that to me is a big statement. You can go on E-Bay and see how many broken plasma’s are for sale. Have you ever checked out LCD Front Projectors. You will get a lot more bang for the back and true HD in many formats. Most will play down to 33" and up to 200"s. Thank Sanyo, take a look at www.projectorpeople.com for ideas. If you want a TV try to get an LCD with the lowest latency rate possible (most lower model are 8ms). Vizio’s aren’t bad they don’t look to goo with regular cable pictures though. I think Sanyo is a better way to go. It is a big company. Vizio does not manufacture there TV, so product support has not been too good. If you buy Plasma get the extended warranty, you’ll need it.

[QUOTE=Zathros;2081652]I wouldn’t by a Plasma TV. The LCD’s have a much longer life.[/QUOTE]That is a complete myth spread by ill informed people.
Or do you have scientific test data available to support your assumption?

I had a Vizio and the picture was pretty good. My only complain about it was it make a slight buzzing sound from the back of the tv (apparently a very common problem amongst Vizio’s according to avsforum.com ). I returned it to Costco and paid a couple of hundred more for a Panasonic. Picture-wise the Panasonic wasn’t obviously better, but I would say it’s “different”. One thing for sure was the construction of the Vizio and it’s materials seemed cheap compared to the Panasonic, which seemed to be built better. What I suggest is to compare the sets at the store and choose the one that looks best to you. You may have to play with the settings to get a fair comparison.

I don’t want to start a LCD vs Plasma debate, but plasmas have better blacks due to their design. If you have bright room glare might be an issue due to the glass screen on plasmas.

[QUOTE=Bunny;2081662]That is a complete myth spread by ill informed people.
Or do you have scientific test data available to support your assumption?[/QUOTE]

I have had a TV repair shop for 10 years. That Sony has stopped making Plasma TV’s is not a myth. That Plasma TV’s rely on High Voltage to work is not a myth. That Plasma TV tubes are fragile is not a myth. That LCD’s last longer is not a myth. How many Plasma TV’s have you repaired? It appears that you are ill informed. At this moment Plasma’s do have better blacks but with their glass screens off center viewing may be a problem for some. Vizio’s are cheaply made. You get what you pay for. Viewing is subjective and some people can put up with more than others. If your money is tight, and who’s isn’t, I would suggest LCD’s, just look at the extended warranty’s available compared to Plasma’s. I believe you will get a longer lasting TV, a personal opinion backed by years of personal labor on these devices. I do not mean to get into a Plasma vs. LCD. If money is no object, then get the Plasma, you will have no latency problems and better blacks, in 4 years, you can get another one. If you want something with long legs on it, go LCD. Whatever you do make sure you have it on a surge protector with clamping voltage of at the most 300 Volts and put the satellite/cable input thru it also, or whatever you buy will fry.

@Zathros
With all due respect, these are your own opinions and i have seen no evidence either that LCD lasts longer than plasma. LCD panels are also very fragile, as i found to my own cost when a small impact on the front of the panel cracked the panel.

Friends of our family own and run a small TV dealership near my home. They use a 12 year old Philips 42 inch plasma set as a security monitor and the picture still looks perfect to me. I’ve also enlisted this companies service engineers to help with an article i’m currently writing. I’m sure a lot of people will be enlightened by their findings.
Our own 32 inch Hitachi plasma is nearly 5 years old and shows no signs of failing. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Dee-27;2082219]@Zathros
With all due respect, these are your own opinions and i have seen no evidence either that LCD lasts longer than plasma. LCD panels are also very fragile, as i found to my own cost when a small impact on the front of the panel cracked the panel.

Friends of our family own and run a small TV dealership near my home. They use a 12 year old Philips 42 inch plasma set as a security monitor and the picture still looks perfect to me. I’ve also enlisted this companies service engineers to help with an article i’m currently writing. I’m sure a lot of people will be enlightened by their findings.
Our own 32 inch Hitachi plasma is nearly 5 years old and shows no signs of failing. :)[/QUOTE]
If you are comparing a commercial grade Plasma to a consumer grade Plasma then you are comparing apples and oranges. I have an ancient NEC Plasma that still works, the kind you see in airports everywhere. I would not compare it to a Vizio. These TV’s are made to a specification which is completely different than consumer grade TV’s. I have one of the first Laptops made with an LCD display that looks perfect. I also have a 6 year old Sanyo LCD Projector that looks perfect. Like I said, you get what you pay for. This post was about an affordable Plasma or LCD TV. Tell your friends to be careful if they ever remove the Plasma tube from it’s frame, they don’t like that much. I personally don’t think Plasma will be around much longer, in 10 years or so barring some vast improvement, laser will probably take over, but you will still have LCD’s. My personal opinion of course, just like your post is your personal opinion. Some of my best friends are TV repair persons. I happen to be one too, though.

When you purchase a high def TV there is more to consider than the display panel. It is the video processing of the input signal that is just, if not more so important, than the display.
Having been involved in sale/repair and design of all forms of electronic devices, Industrial as well as domestic, I did a serious amount of research on a replacement TV before settling on a Panasonic plasma screen.
LCD and Plasma Both have strengths and weaknesses and it is worth evaluating exactly what you want or expect before you chose which to have.
As for longevity according to my friends and colleagues who are still in the trade. There is little to chose between the displays. Don’t forget that the LCD uses a back light that is akin to a flat florescent tube with all that infers of brightness and colour shift through its life. Have you seen the cost of a replacement light panel? I know that plasma panels also suffer from reduced brightness during its life time but still will perform well after 10+ years and beyond average viewing life.
Dee is not comparing apples and oranges. The Phillips Plasma is consumer grade.
As I said before anyone considering the purchase of a high def TV needs to do their own research and come to their own conclusion for what is the best option for themselves.
You are right about a replacement for Plasma panels but development is some 5-10 years away and if there is a global depression it will be a lot longer than that.
I am very pleased with my choice of TV and would recommend it to anyone.
The picture and sound is outstanding even when viewing non hi def source.

Intersting thread.:slight_smile: It’s probably is a myth because I have heard the same that a Plasma starts to degrade from the time you first turn it on. (sales people) and I never reseached it any farther. The new ones have pixel shifting so burn in is no longer an issue. The new LED Tv’s are very close to the blacks that Plasma have and the normal user would probably never notice the difference. Also a lot of LCD tv’s including mine have a clear glossy panel but glare or viewing angles are not an issue. Plasma or LCD is a very subjective topic I think.

[QUOTE=bhome83;2080957]So im on a relatively tight budget for a plasma or LCD. Dont really want to spend much more than $1000 and noticed the vizio TV’s fit well into this range. Dont really want anything bigger than 42."
My question is, springing for a more name brand LCD/plasma (panasonic, etc) and spending a couple hundred more $$$, will that make a noticeable difference in picture quality? I eventually want to hook up a blue ray player to the tv so i want the best i can get for around $1000, but at the same time will go a little bit higher if there is a noticeble difference between a budget model like a vizio and a panasonic or other name brand.

Thanks for the help![/QUOTE]

Yes there is. I have read that Amtram (they make Vizio’s) plans to sell their TV’s direct instead of bottlenecking thru Vizio (a private company with 26 employees). None of the above posts including my own address the original question. I have seen many Vizio’s and do not think their quality is that good. Save your pennies and get a Sharp Aquos or a Panasonic, you will be much happier in the end if you spend a little more. Before you spend anything try and find a sore that actually has models on display and access the menu to set the picture where you subjectively feel is right for you. This is almost impossible to do in a store but it should give you an idea of what your getting. Bring you favorite movie with you and see if they will let you play it. This will give you a point of reference. The LCD vs. Plasma argument is passe’ for anyone who works on or knows electronics. If you want a Plasma TV get one. I would not get a Vizio, I would buy a Panasonic or a Pioneer. Amtram has said they plan to offer lifetime replacement of their panels, if they do sell them directly. That might change the equation, even thought the Sharp Aquos and Pansonics do look better, and no amount of warranty will change that.

alright guys. thanks for the helpful info. I’m pretty much set on buying the Samsung LN40A650 from Amazon. I have yet to find a bad review on it and it is a decent price for what you’re getting. Perfect size, 4 hdmi, side usb and hdmi port, and really good reviews from amazon and many other sources.

But of course if someone can convince me of something better than you may be able to sell me on that, but im about 95% sure on this particular tv. Any opinions on it are welcome especially if you own one.

ps- What about HDMI cables? I’ve heard the cheapo ones work just as well as the more expensive ones. dont think an hdmi comes with this tv. Someone want to start another debate on this :slight_smile:

Thanks guys.

Most of the early plasmas outlived their projected life spans and have been found to be very reliable with a very good life span. The newer plasmas are much improved as well. Having said that, if you are on a budget, the Vizio, and better still the Olevia are a reasonable buy with a very good picture. But they are not quite up to the PQ of some of the more expensive displays like Sony. My bedroom set is a 32" Olevia and I like it a lot, you wouldn’t be disappointed. I took my time and looked around in many stores to compare picture quality and thought they were noticeably better than the Vizio and other budget LCDs (Westinghouse, Phillips etc). With smaller sets (less than 40"), 720p is fine, you won’t notice any difference from 1080i or 1080p. But like the man said, if you have lots of cash, go big and go with a plasma. The best display I have ever seen was a Pioneer plasma, but it cost mucho dinero.

I won’t convince you but you should look at the the LN40A750 as well. There have been reports of purple haze with the LN40A650 and flashlighting around the edges. The 750 also has more options including a set of woofers. Moot point if you have an audio system set up. The 650’s audio by itself is not great and I personaly like the square bezel and stand better on the 750 than the rounded bezel and oval stand on the 650. Too each his own.:slight_smile:

[QUOTE=bhome83;2082564]
ps- What about HDMI cables? I’ve heard the cheapo ones work just as well as the more expensive ones. dont think an hdmi comes with this tv. Someone want to start another debate on this :slight_smile:

Thanks guys.[/QUOTE]

Don’t buy Monster, big rip-off. You won’t be able to tell the difference with the budget HDMI cable as long as your cable run is less than say 15’. Everyone I know get their cables here:
http://www.monoprice.com/home/?style=
spend $15-$20 but [I][B]don’t buy a $100 Monster cable.[/B][/I]

Everyone seems to be pushing Samsung, but I am unimpressed. I set up my brother’s 40" and sister’s 48" brand new Samsungs with Avia and my 3 yr. old 50" Sony rear project HDTV has a better PQ. I have to believe that Samsung gives the vendors a better profit cut than some other brands because everyone, particularly Best Buy, always pushes Samsung.

[quote=bhome83;2082564]alright guys. thanks for the helpful info. I’m pretty much set on buying the Samsung LN40A650 from Amazon. I have yet to find a bad review on it and it is a decent price for what you’re getting. Perfect size, 4 hdmi, side usb and hdmi port, and really good reviews from amazon and many other sources.

But of course if someone can convince me of something better than you may be able to sell me on that, but im about 95% sure on this particular tv. Any opinions on it are welcome especially if you own one.

Thanks guys.[/quote]

You will be happy the Samsung, I think it’s a better choice then the Vizio.

Speaking about HDMI cables, check this thread out. You will find some interesting links.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f149/expensive-hdtv-cable-really-better-than-cheap-one-239888/

:cool::cool:

Excellent choice, with a 4ms latency it becomes a non-issue. I added a link which explains the relationship between Samsung and Sony, basically they produce the LCD panels at this factory together. Good solid choice.

@bhome83, Samsung LN40A650 is a good choice but it’s way over your $1000 budget. :wink:

Anyway, as someone mentioned, Amtram, among other companies, does make Vizio screen panel. But screen panel is just one part of the equation. The processor and internal electronics are other important parts of the unit. All those considered, in general name brands such as Pioneer, Panasonic, Sony and Samsung are better than cheaper brands.

Also, I think it’s worth spending a few dollars extra for a name brand since you will likely make a one time purchase for its life time (typically 10-20 years).

Since the OP mentioned considering Plasma or LCD, I can only express my own experience. I have a 42" Samsung plasma and compared to friends’ name brand LCDs, it’s not comparable. Plasma has better picture quality.

Now if you are comparing different models of name brand, I would say that everyone have their own preference but one way for sure, you need to demo them in the stores and let your eyes decide.

For HDMI, there is currently sale: 3 pieces of 6 feet HDMI 1.2 for $9 shipped at Meritline. http://www.meritline.com/193-142-003.html

If you prefer other alternative ie HDMI 1.3, Monoprice.com also sells inexpensive (but good) HDMI cables as linked by ricoman.

true, true, but like i said if i think im getting more value spending a few hundred more then i will go with that. think im gonna go with this samsung. thanks alot for the help guys! wish i could get this kind of in depth help on everything i need electronics wise on the internet! :slight_smile: