Notebook's matshita drive can't play multi-region DVDs - external DVD drive maybe?

Hi all,

I just bought an Acer 8200 notebook.

It comes with a “matshita dvd-ram uj-850s” DVD drive and much to my chagrin DVD software programs such as AnyDVD, do not allow me to play DVD movies from multiple regions.

There is no firmware for this drive and I would not really want to flash for fear of damaging it.

My only other option is to buy an external DVD drive, which the programs such as AnyDVD may work on, or flash the drive.

Can anyone recommend an external DVD drive for this, preferably a slimline drive, which I could buy in Australia, and definitely play multi-region DVDs?

Thanks

Dazz

Hi,

Liteon drives can easily be set to RPC1 - no firmware flashing required.
You may also try playback software, that doesn’t care about RPC control: TryMediaplayer Classic or VLC Media Player. Maybe they work with your already locked drive.

Michael

Hi mciahel,

I’ve tried VLC but it does not work… engineers have worked hard to stop ppl from watching movies they legitimately own.

I’ve owned liteon drives before and used a utility for them… does that utility to reset region info work for all liteon drives? If so, I’ll try to find a liteon slimline DVD drive.

Thanks

Dazz

I have Acer Aspire 3103WLMi with this drive and no problems at all.
Playing multiregion dvd’s perfectly.

Are you playing mult-region DVDs with no problems? This is something any DVD player should be able to do!

Or are you playing region-locked DVDs from multiple-regions without problem? If so then how?

Hello , I have a UJ-850s dvd rw installed on my Vaio FE770 labtop , I have problem with thats driver
when windows logs on , a message warns me : Found new hardware wizard
But my dvd rom works normally
How can I disable “found new hardware” wizard ?
I click and sign the " don’t prompt me again" field , but it warns me again.
I think it can’t locate my dvd ram driver
any body can help?

I have a similar question in the Newbies Forum… sounds like there might not be an easy resolution.
I tried Mediaplayer Classic and it reported a ‘Copy Protect fail’

[QUOTE=FJacko;2281641]I have a similar question in the Newbies Forum… sounds like there might not be an easy resolution.
I tried Mediaplayer Classic and it reported a ‘Copy Protect fail’[/QUOTE]

No surprise with a dreaded matshita drive…