Notebook won't detect cd/dvd drive

Hi all: I’m having trouble getting my laptop to recognize my CD/DVD drive. Under BIOS settings, I only see the hard drive listed. Drive doesn’t show up in Windows either. The drive does have power, the tray will open, and the drive will spin when the system boots and when I put a disc in there. Tried putting in a bootable CD, but the system won’t boot from that.

I’ve looked around on the internet quite a bit, but I’m still pretty clueless. Any advice? I know that there is a new BIOS available for my system. Might that help?

More details: Gateway 200ARC laptop. Windows XP. The drive is a replacement Samsung SN-324 I bought used off of eBay. ( What happened to the old one? I screwed it up by applying new firmware. See here: http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=134016 ). The SN-324 has the 50 pin connector at the back, which I popped onto the motherboard.

Didn’t realize it could be so hard to install a replacement drive. But, am really desperate to get this working. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

I am having the same problem, power on but not detected. Just wondered if there is different types of laptop cd drives?

:cool:

[QUOTE=ell;1958560]I am having the same problem, power on but not detected. Just wondered if there is different types of laptop cd drives?[/QUOTE]

Welcome to the forum. Did you purchase a used drive too? Can you post what your drive is doing or not doing?:smiley:

Hello

The problem with Notebook drives is the master / slave / ccable select / inverse cable select setting will be done by different firmware. The corret setting depends on the particular Notebook.

for example there are Notebooks were the HDD is connected to the first IDE channel and the ODD to the secone one. In this case the settings are not important since the devices are on different channels. If you have a Notebook where the HDD and ODD is on the same channel you must set the ODD drive to slave or maybe inverse cable select or whatever.
Unfortunately it is not as easy to change the Notebook ODD like the change of the Desktop drive.