Notebook suggestions?

vbimport

Hi, I’m currently considering buying a notebook/laptop computer, and am wondering if anyone here has any suggestions to any particular brands for them? Its mostly for work, occasionally might play some newer games. Don’t really want to spend TOO much on it cause there really isn’t a point… I’m looking at around $1500 US.

As of now, I’m looking mainly at the Toshiba’s as they seem to be of a good deal. I’m also looking at IBM ones cause I can get a discount on those(around 20%). But even with the discount, I see the toshiba’s as the better deal(it’s obvious IBM stuff are overpriced)…

So yeah I’m open to other suggestions. Please don’t say Sony, they sure look sweet, but they are clearly priced outrageously high.

Oh and also, if anyone’s had experience with laptops, can you tell me if M-processors really make much difference in terms of battery life?? I mean Like P4 and P4-Mobile processors(w/ SpeedStep). Is it more like a marketing thing or does it really help?

Acer

Don’t know if these ship to US, but I have heard that this is a decent laptop too: http://www.gericom.com/gericom2001/page.cfm?page=index

You could always check www.pricewatch.com

Dell M50

Well I have a Gericom laptop and it is fairly good. All the components inside are quality components and so the performance is okay. So was the price.

There are just two things I don’t like about my laptop

1. Regular P4 instead of a P4 Mobile. This means that the eneryconsumption is higher (eats the battery, I can work up to 2,5 hours) and the system produces more heat
  2. The casing isn’t very strong, so don’t throw it around.

On the other hand, If you’d ever buy an OEM laptop, I say: Dell. Those are fairly good for a good price. Check their website (www.dell.com), as they tend to have nice bargains…

Hmm… I haven’t seen that Gericom brand before, I went to the site and i don’t see the US flag or Can Flag on the top, so I guess its only available around the Europe regions…

I’ll check out dell ones though. Haven’t heard many good things about them really…(for desktops anyway)

THx. Any other ones?

Originally posted by SkYLiNe
Hmm… I haven’t seen that Gericom brand before, I went to the site and i don’t see the US flag or Can Flag on the top, so I guess its only available around the Europe regions…

Actually, Gericom is an Austrian brand that only ships to Austria, Germany and the Netherlands (but it’s possible to buy Gericoms in other European countries as well).
Besides Gericom, the factory also ships brands like Cybercom and Targa (not all Targa laptops are Gericoms!). Those systems are just rebadged Gericoms.

I’ll check out dell ones though. Haven’t heard many good things about them really…(for desktops anyway)

As with any other OEM brand, you’ll find a lot of negative stories about that brand. Nothing strange though, as people only comment their hardware when something goes wrong.

THx. Any other ones?

Well you could checkout HP Omnibook series (I think they’re ugly, but that’s a matter of taste), as well as the IBM machines (a colleague of mine has an IBM laptop, equipped with a 15" TFT doing 1600x1200!)…etc etc