Notebook Fixed Drive upgrade!

Im wanting to upgrade my Dell Inspiron 8100 fixed dvd rom. I have come to nothing but road blocks and was hoping that someone here might be able to help! I seems the drive is replaceable, but i cant find any information on compatible drives. Im wanting to use a combo cdrw/dvd drive for it. First, will any notebook slim drive work? What would be a good drive? Has anyone heard anything about the Lite-On XJ-SC241? I have not been able to find much information about it…even the web site doesn’t have much on it. But it seems like it would be the drive of choice. 24x12x24x with 8x dvd. Anyways, any feedback would be great!

Speedy3k:confused:

Take out your drive. Can this fit in it’s place? 1st drive Dell, 2nd drive the Lite-On

If so, you may be in luck.
24X/10X/24X CD-RW and 8X DVD-ROM Combo Drive for Dell Inspiron 4100/4150/8200DVD/CD-RW Combo Drive, 24X/10X/24X CD-RW, 8X DVD-ROM, IDE/ATAPI Interface, Data Transfer Rate up to 10.8 Mbps

Product link here . Anything you do with it probably won’t be supported by Dell since it’s not made for your laptop, but 8100 is very close to 8200…

yeah, I saw that one through dell, but its 380.00 bucks! I was looking for something that would be alot less expensive. Here is a link to the lite-on drive I’m thinking about trying. Its only 150.00…which is a much better price…if its compatible. http://www.adamant.com/ItemInfo.asp?PrdAbr=CDRWL-XJSC241&DB=Products

well im pretty sure the drive will be compatitible. The dimensions are a perfect match…so it looks like i might have found my upgraded drive. now my only question is, will any software support it? Also ive seemed to find out that the drive is branded “slimtype” …is this infact a lite-on drive or what?