Notebook - DVD Burner compatibility

I have a Sony Vaio VGN-BX670P notebook and recently (in the past 6 months), it’s stopped both burning and reading any burned dvd’s. It doesn’t matter if they’re data or video. I’ve already reformatted the computer and everything else possible, so now I’m wondering how to find out what kind of internal dvd burner would be compatible with my computer because I don’t want to get the same one, it’ll cost me 300 bucks (from the Sony site)

Thanks for the help, and if this is a repost of some sort please let me know!
Steven

We need to know the exact model burner that you have in the notebook now. Find this out with a free burning program called ImgBurn. Download the program here: www.imgburn.com

When you start the program you will be given a list of options…click on Discovery. At the top of the window on the right, it should list the make and model of your drive and its current firmware.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2295635]We need to know the exact model burner that you have in the notebook now. Find this out with a free burning program called ImgBurn. Download the program here: www.imgburn.com

When you start the program you will be given a list of options…click on Discovery. At the top of the window on the right, it should list the make and model of your drive and its current firmware.[/QUOTE]

I’m doing that now, though a bit of a delayed response due to other issues in my life right now. I’m also wondering if perhaps updating the firmware from the Sony Update website might have been the problem. Roxio recognizes if a dvd has been burned on, but windows considers it a blank cd and won’t open it as a dvd at all (data dvd’s), when about a year ago, I’m almost sure before I updated the firmware, my data dvd’s were still recognized with no problem. Now I can’t even finish burning a cd, much less burn a data dvd.

[B]Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-K16D 1.10 (USB)
Current Profile: N/A[/B]