Notebook Burners

I’m thinking of buying a notebook computer, however the included optical drives in general seem rather pathetic. If you look on the Dell or HP/Compaq forums for example, there are numerous threads that “scream” for a firmware update. However, in most cases, it is not forthcoming.

Can anyone recommend either a solid notebook optical drive and which manufacturer builds a notebook with that drive? Any and all thoughts appreciated.

If a notebook DVD burner is going to be such a hassle, maybe I’m better off with a DVD/CDRW combo drive.

I would say that Sony and NEC seem to be building some fairly reliable notebook DVD burners from what I’ve read. It’s tough to know what you’re getting when you order a laptop with a DVD burner as manufacturers can switch between models with identical (or similar) specs.

Currently, Japanese manufacturers have most or all of the notebook DVD writer market and that’s why they are so expensive. Soon, Taiwanese and South Korean competition will bring the prices to one third or lower. The main reason why CD-R/DVD combo notebook drives are so cheap compared to notebook DVD writers is competition. Especially in Taiwan, they produce tens of millions of notebooks a year and so they need at least some millions of optical drives for the notebooks. Also, there is a great potential for further price reduction because Dell and HP seem to charge 2x as much as they really have to. :slight_smile:

Any idea when the price will go down as the Taiwanese get involved?