Not toothpaste but hair gel works!?

URL : http://www.mirrordot.com/stories/14b7a5a68c2b653db431beae72d1d8c7/index.html

For the complete story, click the above link.

Summary: A guy scratches some freshly burnt cd’s with the aid of a pair of scissors and tries to repair them.

Next I tried the method that a lot of people talk about: the toothpaste method. That didnt work either.

Next I tried a mixture of 3 parts water to one part olive oil (I know they dont mix, but shake!) That almost worked. I mean that the light wasnt scattered when I held it against the light, but my XBox couldnt read it, probably because it was yellow. This made me think that the oily/gel idea was the best way to go. I looked around the bathroom cupboard for somthing similar, and found this:

Yes, hair gel, and guess what It worked!

Has anyone tried hair gel to get rid of scratches before? Perhaps we need some extensive additional tests!? :slight_smile:

Sounds kinda crazy. But sometimes it’s the stupid ideas that work! I wouldn’t want to leave too much on the disc, might get kinda messy. :eek:

Yes … and depending on the discs contents … there might be questions asked why the disc got stuck in the drive … and much laughter at the sticky persons expense.

Don’t know about hair gel, but I have in the past buffed out scratches. Water sand the scratches using an extremely fine grit sandpaper, use a medium speed buffer and rubbing compound. Buff til shiny. Apply a light coat of wax to remove swirl marks. Disc will now be like new. Warning: Take care not to release disc accidently from your hand as they are very dangerous when they become airborne.

Just worked for me :slight_smile: I had a DVD that I didn’t back up when I got it and finally got around to doing it. Wouldn’t back up, has some lil scratches, cleaned it twice, no go. A lil dab of hair gel, a lil rub with no elbow grease to spread it around good. Presto, it backed right up.

Thanks!!!

Yo-

I would use extreme caution with hair gel - can only imagine what it could do to the laser when the repaired heats up and drips on it-eh!

Yo-

I would use extreme caution with hair gel - can only imagine what it could do to the laser when the repaired disc heats up and drips on it-eh!

I wiped it off real good, couldn’t feel anything left on the DVD .