Not sure of which burner to purchase

My Pioneer DVR 106 is currently dying; it’s been producing numerous coasters with my old Ritek G04 discs and fails to read the majority of the DVDs I put in it.

I’ve been looking around for a new burner and have found three possible ones which I could choose, each have received good reviews but I’m unsure about which one to purchase.

The three possible purchases are:

1. BenQ DW1650
  2. LG GSA-4167BAL
  3. Pioneer DVR-110D

Each can burn up to 16x which is fantastic since I’ve recently purchased 8x Taiyo Yuden discs, but I’m not 100% sure of what one to choose. All are reasonably priced (around the £30 mark).

Bottom line is that I need a burner which can burn my TYG02 discs at 8x, with minimal errors and a noise level which isn’t irritating.

Thanks in advance.

Just picked up a 4167 (£34.something), haven’t fitted it yet though. With the latest firmware (DL13), I’ve read that some people here are happy to own one. If the 4163 is anything to go by, I’ll be happy if it’s half as good!

Don’t know anything about the BenQ drive, but my neighbour has a Pioneer 110D, and it’s used almost constantly…a solid drive, from what I’ve seen.

I’ll be testing the 4167 next saturday, so if you still want to know how it burns, just post…:slight_smile:

Edit: I’ve just seen some quality scans of LG4167 burns, they appear to burn TYG02 very well!

The BenQ DW1650 will do you very well, Shox. It eliminated some 16x burning issues the 1640 had, and the 1650 is as solid of a performer as the 1655. Of course, at 8x with TY media, I’m sure it will give you great results. :iagree: The added bonus is that it’s the “most bang for your dollar” burner, as you can use Nero CD-DVD Speed to scan your burns to see how well they did, and AFAIK, you can’t do any kind of burn quality testing on the LG, and the Pioneer just can’t be trusted for scan results (although you can scan with it). I had a Pioneer DVR-108 and was so thoroughly disgusted with it not being able to give me accurate scan results for my burns that I swore off Pioneer forever for burners. It’s another reason to go BenQ, as the BenQ has a lot of nice features that in my assessment as a BenQ user, put it as surpassing what Plextor is now (and used to be). Add to that the most frequent firmware updates supplied of any burner I know of.

I confirm. LG drives can’t do scannings (at least my 4167 can’t do), but if you need to use RAM media the LG is a must: LG have a long time experience with RAM media :iagree:

The downside and the upside of LG :bigsmile:

LOL :bigsmile:

I admit that I bought this LG because of RAM media, but I must say that also burning quality is good. I have a new puppy to play with :stuck_out_tongue: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

I bought the Pioneer DVR-110D because of high praise here on the board. I’m marginally happy with it. I have upgraded the firmware and it burns well, BUT: My new DVD player is a Marantz DV-9600 which is not supposed to be compatible with DVD+R media. I usually use DVD+R DL to make copies because -R DL is unobtainable, or way to expensive.

Long story short, I don’t like the fact that you can’t select the book type in Nero with this drive, and it doesn’t do scans properly.

I only have 4 or 5 hours a week to screw around with this stuff, and can’t read all / learn all and experiment a heck of a lot in that amount of time.

I’d love to know what the new best drive is that will burn DL at the highest speed, burn consistently well on lots of media, and can scan and allow me to set the book type to DVD-ROM!

This Pioneer is very good, but not the right solution for me because of booktyping.

You can easily flash with a BUFFALO firmware which has AUTO-Bitsetting for DVD+R media too.

Thanks for the replies. I’m leaning towards the BenQ at the moment, but I won’t be ordering til later today so I can still look around for more reviews :slight_smile:

I am not a fan of BenQ as I had the usual problems with a string of bad 1620s. However, given your choices and the range of features, I would also go with the 1650.

Thanks Chef, I’ll look for the Buffalo Firmware. Hope I can figure it out. I will also take a look at the 1650 and 1655, although I wish they burned -R DL at 8X (Even though there is no media for it yet).

This problem with the Marantz player really ticks me off. I love the player - except for this issue. I’ve got 200 DVD’s that were burned on +R DL, and it won’t read them. I have learned , however, that if I use Nero instead of Oneclick, and use Advanced Analysis, and High Quality Mode some titles work. It appears that nero burns +R DL in DVD-ROM booktype (Frankly the Mrantz manual says it’s not compatible with DVD-ROM either, but with these settings it seems to work most of the time). This is good because I still have so much +R blank media left.