Not reading unfinalized discs again. *sigh*

Tonight I had something really odd happen.

Again.

I used my 5005 to record several hours of FIREFLY off a TiVo, and finished up with recording a “Making of Serenity” special they did about the upcoming Firefly-cast movie.

When I recorded the special, I used HQ, and only recorded on half the disc before finalizing, because the special was only 30 min. incl. commercials.

When I went to play the finalized disc, the machine hesitated, and then ID’d it as a -RW.

It was a -R.

It then played it.

This made me…concerned.

I then put a half-used -R disc into the machine to record (again, off my TiVo) the second episode of INVASION.

The player once again isn’t recognizing a half used disc. It says “no disc” after a minute or so of trying, and then tells me to put a proper disc into the machine.

The last time this happened, it recognized one of the twin discs I’d made of a Stargate episode, but not the other.

This time, it’s not recognizing EITHER “Invasion” disc.

I’m going to try the dics in the 06, since last time this happened it was able to read, record, and finalize the disc, and after that the 05 could recognize and play it normally.

[I]I’ve heard that some people have noted a problem with un-finalized discs not being recognized by the player a few days later.

Is this a known problem, and is replacing the drive the only solution? Has anyone had any success getting LiteOn to repair the machine so it stays repaired?[/I]

Help… :sad:

Update-

It’s not reading ANY half-recorded discs, and one or two other -R discs that were finalized were wrongly ID’d as -RW, and another wasn’t ID’d at all, tho it would play.

I wonder how much I can get a Panasonic for? :frowning:

Try cleaning the drive with a lens cleaner. It might be time for a new burner in that machine.

“Burner” and “drive” mean the same thing, or is the burner a part of the drive?

Yup, with me having the 5005, the burner and the drive are the same. You can’t clean a HDD with a lens cleaner. Didn’t mean to confuse you.

No, I don’t have a hard drive/DVD recorder YET.

I just wasn’t sure if the two terms were interchangeable or not, as mentioned…could the burner be PART of the drive?..clear enough now tho.

If you could also clue me in on how complex it is to replace the drive, and maybe address those other questions I PM’d you, I’d appreciate it…

Unless we’re not supposed to bother you with stuff like this. (Different boards, different rules…)

Toxie, a new member from Italy I think, has a good guide to replacing the drive:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=150516

I would suggest that you don’t try it if you haven’t build (or don’t want to build) a PC (from motherboard, disk drive, case etc). Otherwise it is not difficult.

cost about $40 and hopefully would last a lot longer than the original burner/drive
a post by Afecu
Bill, just consider that you can get a brand new Lite-on SOHW-1693S drive from newegg (see http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N82E16827106990 ) for $38 (today’s price). It sounds like that drive would last much longer than a replacement 5006… and for much less…

@gastrof - http://club.cdfreaks.com/showpost.php?p=1066801&postcount=39 is where I tried to tell how I replaced my 5005 burner which was a ddw-451s with my 832s LiteOn DVD burner. In the drive change ? topic others have done it also and explained how they did it. Toxie has a web page up on how he did it, there is a post about it and thrunner gave you the link. Some of the drives used are my 832s, a 1673s, a 1693s to name a few.

As for your PM’s
Gastrof wrote
It’s doing it again…

Your reply on the matter of replacing something in something left me a little up in the air.

Did you mean you removed the drive from a 5005 or a 5006 and put something else in its place? (If so, which? An 05 or an 06?)

Also, if this is what you did, could you tell me if it was expensive to get the replacement drive, and where such a drive can be purchased?

Tonight I had something really odd happen.

I’d recorded several hours of FIREFLY off a TiVo, and finished up with recording a “Making of Serenity” special they did about the upcoming Firefly-cast movie.

When I recorded the special, I used HQ, and only recorded on half the disc before finalizing, because the special was only 30 min. incl. commercials.

When I went to play the finalized disc, the machine hesitated, and then ID’d it as a -RW.

It was a -R.

It then played it.

This made me…concerned.

I then put a half-used -R disc into the machine to record (again, off my TiVo) the second episode of INVASION.

The player once again isn’t recognizing a half used disc. It says “no disc” after a minute or so of trying, and then tells me to put a proper disc into the machine.

As you might recall, the last time this happened, it recognized one of the twin discs I’d made, but not the other.

This time, it’s not recognizing EITHER.

I’m going to try the dics in the 06, since last time this happened, it was able to read, record, and finalize the disc, and after that the 05 could recognize and play it normally.

I’ve heard that some people have noted a problem with un-finalized discs not being recognized by the player a few days later.

Is this a known problem, and is replacing the drive the only solution? Has anyone had any success getting LiteOn to repair the machine so it stays repaired?

Help…

My reply
I replaced my ddw-451s drive in my 5005 with a LiteOn 832s. You can get a new drive, a 1693s for about $35-$40 at newegg.com. The prices fluctuate.

I had the same problem with the 451s drive recognizing DVD’s that it had recorded and that I had used regularly.

Stay repaired by LiteOn - not usually for long as you can tell by the number of RMA’s by people.

Gastrof wrote
Five questions for you-

First, what did this part mean"

“Stay repaired by LiteOn - not usually for long as you can tell by the number of RMA’s by people.”

Did you mean “stay AWAY from repairs by LiteOn”? Or did you mean their repairs tend to be good and all an owner needs?
I did not say stay away from repairs by LiteOn, I just mentioned that there have been people doing RMA’s but should have put “people doing multiple RMA’s”

As for the drive replacement, has it worked out to be much better for you? No further problems? I really like this machine and hope it doesn’t need to be junked.
I have stated it has worked out fine and I am happy

If I do replace the drive, will I need to add any software changes, or will it be a plug-and-play situation?
No software needed or mentioned to be needed in the forums

In installing the new drive, will the installation itself be a physical plug-and-play? In other words, is it more like putting a new VHS tape into a VCR or plugging in a toaster, or is it more like trying to build a TV using parts and a diagram?
If your not a little handy I wouldn’t try it.

Finally, do the 5006 machines have the tendency to die like this too, or is it just the 05s? (This is something that’s likely been discussed and my fuzzy memory is just vaguely aware of.)
All LiteOn Standalone Recorders have had trouble as well as other brand of Standalone DVD recorders.

Any further help you can be, I appreciate it!

I hope this helps

@gastrof you sent me this PM about a half hour ago and an identical one 2 minutes later. My answers to this PM are in blue

PM’s from gastrof - 2 identical sent 2 minutes apart
Re: It’s doing it again…

Just thought I’d let you know that while waiting to see what you’d say about the five questions, I got ahold of a dry lens cleaner. (I’d tried for a wet/dry one, but the first store messed up and gave me the wrong one.)

Anyway, the machine is running fine now, and the instructions on the cleaner say I should have been using one after every ten hours of use.
I’m glad to hear the lens cleaner worked.

I’ve had the machine for three months and haven’t cleaned it once, sometimes doing ten hours of recordings a WEEK.
Yes, DVD and CD burners should be cleaned regularly.

You fixed my machine, jm!

I’m still curious about the 5 questions, especially with regards to how hard the drive change would be.
I answered your 5 questions 5 hours ago in this topic that you started about your problem.

As for two identical replies appearing within two minutes, I don’t know what happened.

Sure didn’t have any reason to send a second one…

Sorry.

@gastrof - I don’t know what happened either but I got 'em. No problem take it easy.

@gastrof

I am glad lens cleaning helped you. It never did much for my 5005.

All the drives you listed are basically the same, other than color and the retail units come with a cable, some screws and sometimes software for PC. If you are getting it just for the 5005, get the cheapest version.

Unfortunately, if you follow Toxie’s direction, you need to do some trimming with a Dremel tool on the burner drive case. Toxie looks like a perfectionist (which is a good thing and showed in his work), and probably did a little too much work than is minimally necessary. Some other modifications involved duct taping the unit to 5005 (well may be double face tape).

Well, I guess it finally happened.

Last night I’d recorded this week’s episode of ABC’s “Invasion”, finalized the disc, and put the other copy of last week’s episode into the 5005 to record my second copy of this week’s. (Always do two of any show. ALWAYS.)

"Hmmm…machine isn’t recognizing the disc. Let’s get out our handy-dandy tried and true drive fixer…OUR LENS CLEANER DISC!!!

“Oh…it still doesn’t recognize the disc. ‘FAIL’. Maybe it’s the disc. Let’s try this half-recorded, unfinalized disc of FARSCAPE episodes…No…that’s not recognized either. The finalized ‘INVASION’ disc? Oh…THAT it recognizes.”

Did I mention that while the first INVASION disc was being recorded, I heard an unusual hum coming from the machine? :doh:

Now, I had already contacted LITE ON about the problem, and the e-mail I got back from them told me to take the machine back to the store I bought it from for repair.

Repair?

I bought the thing at a WHOLESALE CLUB STORE.

Who are they going to send it to for repair? The guys in their automobile tire center?

I went over there today and they only had ONE 5005 left (out of the third batch they’ve had in).

I looked at it, thought about it, looked at the Panasonic multi-write recorder that costs $20 more than the 5005 originally cost me (the 5005s are currently $20 less than I paid)…

I dunno.

I’m going to go back and look at threads and PMs where people in the forums have talked with me about replacing the burner drive in the 5005, and likely order a LiteOn 1693 drive from newegg.com, which someone said will work in the 5005 with little trouble.

Any of you feel like giving a little moral support? :frowning:

For now I do still have the 5006 which has had very little use, so I can finish up the INVASION disc on that and still make my usual recordings tonight and tomorrow, but I’m feeling burned by this all over again. (I’m also figuring I’d best do well replacing the drive in the '05, because I’ve heard the '06 is likely to need it in the near future as well.)

I’m also going to call the Wholesale Club store and talk with the manager.

I’m sure he’ll replace a machine that was bought maybe three months ago.

CERTAINLY he will! Makes perfect sense! :disagree:

Cheer me on people, and let’s hope my '06 holds up until the '05 is running with its new drive…or until I have a Panasonic. :sad:

Later…

What brand and type of discs are you recording on?

Same brand that have been working perfectly for months, a store brand from my local wholesale club.

What brand are they and do you know the MID? They could just be junk media.

They come in a plain container packaged with the store chain’s name on them, and the discs have the store logo on them too.

They’ve always worked in the machine, except for one or two, so I don’t know if “junk” would be the word for them.

Why?

You don’t think they could have CAUSED the drive to go bad, do you?

They sell these things in great quantity, so I’d guess if they’re hurting people’s DVD recorders and DVD computer drives, someone would have said something by now. They were being sold for MONTHS before I got my LiteOn. (Was that a pun?)

Do you know the manufacturer ID on the media not what is printed on the DVD or package but the MID using DVD Identifier or DVD InfoPro or any other program that gives the manufacturer ID when the DVD/media is in a PC DVD burner.

maybe I shouldn’t have said junk but inferior/cheap media that does not have a good quality control by the manufacturer. it is well known that some manufacturers do a better job than others.

Is the media code / manufacturer ID in the drive firmware?

Also some manufacturers consistently use a better dye in the manufacturing process.

By the way-

What does “MID” mean? (Sorry…told you guys I’m still a newbie at most of this.)

Oh…as for identifying the discs by way of a PC drive…

I don’t have one.

All I have is the Lite On for DVD recording. My computer still has only a CD-RW drive.