Not liking vista

vbimport

I bought a new laptop with vista on it ane immediatelly got a full copu of windows xp pro to convertrt it back to but it does not want to load it. Is there a trick to putting xp over vista?

My new laptops also came with Vista on them… both now running XP. :slight_smile:

Forget XP over Vista installation (read somewhere it’s possible, but…). No matter what, you’ll still be stuck with crap Vista boot loader.

Suggestion; make an image of Vista (with Symantec Ghost, or equal app) and burn that image.
Erase HDD complettely, format and install XP from CD.

I did the same thing as pinto (except I didn’t clone the vista install since my laptop came with vista install media)… I mostly liked vista, and I think it could be great on a nice speedy desktop, but it has no place on my laptop, waaaaay to taxing for the specs, its like a totally different system with xp… nice and snappy:D

you’ll probably have to track down xp drivers though, the manufacturer’s site didn’t have any for mine so I just googled the model # and xp drivers and they came right up

What would be the best way/program to use to erase the operating system harddrive?

boot off the xp install cd then when it prompts you where you want to install you can delete the vista partition (it will prompt you a couple of times to make sure you’re really really sure :stuck_out_tongue: ) then after its deleted select the unpartitioned space to install and it should go through the formating and copying then automatically restart and continue the installation from there :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=jwill427;2005677]boot off the xp install cd then when it prompts you where you want to install you can delete the vista partition (it will prompt you a couple of times to make sure you’re really really sure :stuck_out_tongue: ) then after its deleted select the unpartitioned space to install and it should go through the formating and copying then automatically restart and continue the installation from there :)[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info, I knew you could do it but the laptop manufacture support I email said to me that they could help me but the switch back to XP they would be limited in their help BS…I thought to myself…now that I reading your comments if right they know Vista is won’t allow my older programs from working…They even said the laptop that came with Vista home preminum was made to work with Vista…me personally is NOT!!..so when I get my laptop this summer if plans work out I am going to get them to help me switch back to XP pro SP2 when I by XP pro SP2 and slipstream with SP3 and download all the need drivers.

After all, maybe an easier way for people not that keen with computers woud be to install XP over Vista in a dual boot mode. :wink:
Example.

BTW johnnydavidson, think you’ll be able find propper erasing tools by googling.