'not enough space on this cd'

vbimport

I’m trying to burn an SVCD from an avi file. The encoding process goes fine (about 1 1/2 hrs) but then when the CDR is asked for, it always rejects it, saying ‘not enough space on this cd’, and asks for another. I’ve tried several, definitely blank, 80 minute disks, and the ‘length’ of the SVCD shows as 648mb or about 73mins. Other sorts of disk write fine.

Am using:

Nero 6.0.0.11,
Liteon 48x12x48 CDRW,
Windows XP inc SP1,
1gb DDR memory
Athlon XP2200+

and I have more than 100gb of free HDD space.

Any ideas?

I moved the thread here, as this forum seems to be the most appropriate one.

I find this somehow strange, that Nero can’t burn a 684MB image to a 700MB CDR.
What I’d do in this situation, is enabling the overburn-option in Nero (file -> preferences -> expert features -> tick overburning) and do a simulation. If that goes well, burn the disc and see what happens…

I say: try this and report back (if anybody else’s got a better suggestion, or know what this problem is, I’m curious…).

Are you using Nero to convert your avi to SVCD and then burn it? I think what is happening is that nero is re-encoding the avi (probabaly Divx) to MPEG-2 and ending up with a 1.2GB file that it can’t stick on to any sort of disc (or I’m totally off track so please ignore me:confused: ).

Am still not figure out how to activate overburn on N6, I try different kinds of media in CDRW, even if I activate the over burn in Nero Burning Rom main program, Nero Vision express or Nero Backitup still refuse to use the full capacity of the media inserted; It would be great if someone figure it our as I use quite a number of these media in doing backups. :slight_smile:

Chances are that you avi file IS only 650MB, but when nero converts it to SVCD then the size is much larger because SVCD uses a fixed video resolution and bitrate per second, so nero needs to convert it first. This will result in teh movie being much larger than nero can put on a single cd.

SVCD can only fit about 50/54 minutes of video on a single cd.
VCD can fit 74/80 mins of video on a single cd

Try using something like TMPGENC to encode the file as an MPEG2 file first and then use VCDEASY to convert the mpegs into disc images and burn them.

Using TMPGENC, you will need to cut the resulting MPEG into sections approximately 700/760MB (for 74min and 80min cd respectively) in size before using VCDeasy to put them on cd :slight_smile:

These tools are both free, and relatively easy to use.

http://Doom9.org

actually, the bitrate for svcds is variable, but i also think the problem is a result of the converted movie being too long. DVD2SVCD (along with the aforementioned TMPG or CCE) can easily convert from avi to svcd without having to worry about wasted space on the cds.

Originally posted by debro
[B]SVCD can only fit about 50/54 minutes of video on a single cd.
VCD can fit 74/80 mins of video on a single cd

Just to let you know I have put 90mins of good quality video onto a 80 mins cd using DVD2SVCD and had no problems playing it back :smiley:

I am having the same problem with Nero 6.

I have several SVCD’s which should fit easily on onto an 80 min disk and it keeps insisting there isn’t enough space.

I just used VCDEasy to create .bin and .cue files from one of these SVCD’s and it then burned without a problem (and plays back okay too).

There’s definitely an issue with Nero 6 and SVCD sizes…

Overburn is already activated in Nero 6.

There is a couple of bugs in nero 6 not sure if its 6.0.0.11 & 6.0.0.15 where nero thinks its a bigger file than it actualy is.
Try uninstalling Nero 6 and trying either 6.0.0.00 or an earlyer version see if that helps.

I have practically given up on Nero to create any sort of movie discs as it’s way off track estimating how much space it will take up and it allways wants to re-render any file I give it (even if it is (S)VCD complient).
Use something like VCDEasy for MPEGS and DVD2SVCD for AVI and VOB files.

The one fella is right… its trying to convert the .avi to something else and so thinks its too big… normally you would set these settings to enable overburn…
Set Nero to overburn 90 or 99 min… how ever big your media will hole… .ignore that Nero only sees 703 meg!
set : “ISO Level 1” is ticked "which means Max of 11 = 8 + 3 chars (iso level 1)and “Mode 2 / XA” is ticked too and also “ISO 9660” and “Joliet” and you can also tick (if you want) “Allow pathdepth of more than 8 directories” and “Allow more than 255 characters in path”
Burn : “Write” and “Finalize CD” are ticked and write speed is up to you and “write method” should be set on “Disc-At-Once”

Now… after saying all that… Nero 6.0 won’t give you the option to overburn with an .avi in place thats within 10 meg of 700 meg… it will only tell you the disk is not big enough… now… delete the .avi file and replace the same compilation with regular data files… no problem!.. then it lets you overburn all the way to 99 min if you like… and of course have 99 min disk!
I think Ill go back to an earlier version… feel free to email me for an earlier version if you can’t find it on nero’s ftp site…
cheers…

Umm… Okaaaaayyyyyyy.

At any rate, the vote seems to be in favour of using VCDeasy to ensure that the video is MPEG and svcd compliant, and using VCDeasy to pack that Mpeg in the right cd wrapper and write it to cd.

You don’t need to use VCDeasy to write the cd, just generate the cd images.

Once the cd images are done, you can use vcdeasy, nero, cdrwin blindwrite, Burn at once, hell almost the whole gaggle of cdr software to write the image to cdr.

I am having the same problem with files I know should fit. Mine are already MPEG2, and they show the correct length. Interestingly, Nero is also indicating the file should fit. I uninstalled nero 6 and installed 5.5 w/SVCD Plugin, and it burns just fine? I’m thinking perhaps the upgrade isn’t worth the price (at least at the moment).

Originally posted by shane256
I am having the same problem with files I know should fit. Mine are already MPEG2, and they show the correct length. Interestingly, Nero is also indicating the file should fit. I uninstalled nero 6 and installed 5.5 w/SVCD Plugin, and it burns just fine? I’m thinking perhaps the upgrade isn’t worth the price (at least at the moment).

Me thinks Ahead must have put in some extra stuff in the (S)VCD header (i.e. all the files you need for your DVD player to play the MPEG) which is taking the CD size over what it would be in Nero 5.5.
I havent tried the latest version yet and I see there’s something in the changelog so maybe it’s been fixed…

Nero patches that have fixed the overburning bug in Nero