Not burning at the speed I specified at

This Sony CRX216E isn’t burning at the speed I specified for it to burn.
I went to My Computer --> Right Clicked CD-RW Drive E --> Properties --> Recording tab --> Write speed 8X
Then using BurnAware Free I start burning my audio files, when the pop-up comes up asking me what speed I want it to burn at, I chose 8X as well.
But when it’s burning, the burning program shows it burning at 29X and it keeps on going higher and higher until it reaches 34X

Here are some things you might need to know:
-The drive wasn’t burning complete cds so I updated it’s firmware, and after updating it started to work, and it succesfully burned cds
-after updating firmware, the computer now recognizes the drive as being a Sony CRX230E instead of the original CRX216E
-Before updating firmware, it had the same problem with speeds, it just kept going higher and higher even though i specified it at 4x

Try to disable the recording in drive properties. Maybe this is causing interferences.

My Computer --> Right Clicked CD-RW Drive E --> Properties --> Recording tab --> Write speed 8X

That won’'t make any difference once you open your burning app.

I start burning my audio files

What kind of audio files?

But when it’s burning, the burning program shows it burning at 29X and it keeps on going higher and higher until it reaches 34X

Well do these CDs work right?

Audio files are .mp3 files, they are automatically converted by BurnAware.

I guess there were no problems with the cd’s however there were some minor skips.

I’m going to try to burn data files and iso files now, if they have problems because of speed then I guess I’ll be coming back.

Try this little app, works well for such things.

http://www.burrrn.net/?page_id=4

I would burn no slower than 16X.