Not again... dvd drive does not detect dvd's

vbimport

this is around the 5th time this has happened, lost count of how many dvd’s i’ve wasted… dell sux…

anyway what my drive does (its a ND-6650A) when i put in a dvd into the drive is says its a cd, while nero still detects it as a dvd with all that free space that should be there, free. the little auto play POS says that is a blank cd, and after trying to burn it only burns the amount a cd could hold, then the programs freezes, and i have to manually eject the disk and alt-ctl-delete nero to close. i’ve tried uninstalling the drivers, i had starforce on here before, but got rid of that crap (this has happened well before i had starforce) i’ve called dell 3 times and gotten 3 different drives, yet all do the same d@mn thing!

any suggestions?

You have to tell Nero that it’s a DVD. I think default in Nero is CD. Look at the settings. Hope this helps.

Also what brand of discs are you using? TY’s,MCC etc…

lol thnx for the info, but i’m not a noob about that stuff.

yes when i burn i say burn as a dvd, nero works fine its just the dvd drive or something, i dunno.

as for the disks i use memorex, always have always will. its not like its the disks, have already tired w/ other kinds

anyone else? :sad:

I would update Nero to the latest version.

but its not nero, my nero works fine, its just the computer detects every dvd that i put in as a cd not a dvd, while any other program says otherwise…

I’ve got the same problem with my NEC ND-4551A…

so why does no one know how to fix this? lots of people have this problem…

anyone? suggestions are welcome

The computer? No!
It’s shrubby exploder you are talking about and it’s not reliable anyway. Only the management console or the devicemanager give you reliable info about hardware etc.

Well you must be one of the few that has luck with those.

There’s nothing wrong with it. It’s a windows glitch. Your burning problem however needs to be fixed. You must have some setting wrong. The burn program should let you burn 4.7 gig not 650/700 mb on a DVD.

hello chef,
i had an lg combo drive
it was not detecting my dvd 9 occationally …
from that time when i wash the dvd with cold water and put it again on the dvd drive some how it works …
i think it was the problem when the drive or disk get heats up …
do you had any solutions for that…
i had update my drives firmware before…
is this is the problem …

Check my profile info again. :wink:

[QUOTE=lord_vivec;1400786]this is around the 5th time this has happened, lost count of how many dvd’s i’ve wasted… dell sux…

anyway what my drive does (its a ND-6650A) when i put in a dvd into the drive is says its a cd, while nero still detects it as a dvd with all that free space that should be there, free. the little auto play POS says that is a blank cd, and after trying to burn it only burns the amount a cd could hold, then the programs freezes, and i have to manually eject the disk and alt-ctl-delete nero to close. i’ve tried uninstalling the drivers, i had starforce on here before, but got rid of that crap (this has happened well before i had starforce) i’ve called dell 3 times and gotten 3 different drives, yet all do the same d@mn thing!

any suggestions?[/QUOTE]

1. make sure that their is comfortable amount of free space on your hard drive and memory.

2. be sure that their is no another software accessing your disk drive … like mount trainer support , clone cd , … they might have changed the os’s default cd drive driver to their comfortable one… :iagree: roll back it…

3. Please check your drive connector and power supply

4. check their is any hardware problem… like (bad sectors in hard drive , faulty memory etc …)