NoScript extension for Firefox Quantum to be released later this week

Originally published at: https://www.myce.com/news/noscript-extension-firefox-quantum-released-later-week-82998/

A version of the popular NoScript extension, that is compatible with Firefox Quantum (Firefox 57), has been delayed and will be released later this week. Yesterday Mozilla launched Firefox Quantum, the largest update to the browser since it was released in 2004. Firefox Quantum only supports WebExtensions instead of Firefox’s traditional extensions.

I have my own made custom hosts edit and don’t need FireFox to detemine what I block and it working just fine for me no ads, popups, and or redirects and any popups goes “null”.

Noscript does so much more than just block domains like a HOST entry, it blocks scripts, 1st party, 3rd party or otherwise.

And this is what I’ve feared since WebExtensions first became a thing. It’s now the only addon API Firefox supports, and it’s still missing some important things. Mozilla either needs to get a move on, or extend support for the older APIs (I’d vote for the latter).

IDK about anyone else, but I’m fed up with Mozilla’s BS. Between this, the spyware Mozilla has put into their browsers (I think said spyware was later removed, but I still don’t trust them), and the DRM they implemented without consulting their community, not to mention several years’ of bloat and thier overall lack of innovation, I feel like I am just sick of them altogether. IDK if this is exclusively the decision of the Mozilla Foundation, or if the Mozilla Corporation is breathing down the Foundation’s throats, but someone clearly needs new leadership.

And the worst part is Firefox is still the best browser out their as far as ethics and privacy go.

This is where they failed spectacularly-just read the complaints on firefox community support site and you can see the outrage. And those whom complains get banned or worse kicked off the site. I got kicked off after arguing with MODs on their inaction and lectured them about how poor their Service was. All they did was tow the firefox propaganda line use this and do that but never Admitting they screwed up. I told them straight out Addons are for US user not you and their response was nothing to that.

[quote=“TSJnachos117, post:4, topic:399496, full:true”]

[quote=“system, post:1, topic:399496”]
The delay like comes because NoScript 10 is very different from its predecessor, as Maone writes, “NoScript 10 is very different from 5.x: some things are simpler, some things are improved, some are still missing and need to wait for WebExtensions APIs not available yet in Firefox 57.
[/quote][/quote]That’s the worse part firefox a nonprofit has neither the money nor manpower to check the 1,000’s of Addons for verification and yet in one spectacular fail they dumped everyone’s Addon’s and that is where I tell them Go Chrome and that’s what peaked the MODs interest to go so far as tell me to “get with the program” that right there told me there were not interested in Real resolution like bring back API support and let the User themselves decide what they want. But that is a event changing event that Mozilla can’t admit they really screwed up.

[quote=“TSJnachos117, post:4, topic:399496, full:true”]And this is what I’ve feared since WebExtensions first became a thing. It’s now the only addon API Firefox supports, and it’s still missing some important things. Mozilla either needs to get a move on, or extend support for the older APIs (I’d vote for the latter).[/quote]I argued on their Forum as such and their excuse was go back to 52ESR a version for Institution and I tell them you have to configure it to work - when the public version didn’t even have to do that. I told them then why don’t you offer support to configure user’s setting and that they will not do they just say get and install 52ESR. What a load of junk.

[quote=“TSJnachos117, post:4, topic:399496, full:true”]IDK about anyone else, but I’m fed up with Mozilla’s BS. Between this, the spyware Mozilla has put into their browsers (I think said spyware was later removed, but I still don’t trust them), and the DRM they implemented without consulting their community, not to mention several years’ of bloat and their overall lack of innovation, I feel like I am just sick of them altogether.[/quote]Besides the ToolBar they install? They talk about how older API or Addons are security risk and I told them ok then show it and you know their response is nothing. The security risk are the ToolBar installed the Addons are custom and not the Security risk but telling them is like talking to a wall. So far on the forum they have not admitted they screwed up and to bring back older API/Addon support that they broke.

[quote=“TSJnachos117, post:4, topic:399496, full:true”] IDK if this is exclusively the decision of the Mozilla Foundation, or if the Mozilla Corporation is breathing down the Foundation’s throats, but someone clearly needs new leadership.[/quote]Trust me it’s called Chrome…I told them loud and clear and other user to go to Chrome as sounds like Mozilla is failing to listen.

[quote=“TSJnachos117, post:4, topic:399496, full:true”]And the worst part is Firefox is still the best browser out their as far as ethics and privacy go.[/quote]The word is “was” with FF57 they broke all those trust and Addons resulting in a wave of compliants. Rather then fix the problem “ToolBars” they go after API that are custom and works. That’s what made FF past something Users wanted but now they have insured that users will switch to Chrome. I even PM another user about how the same 4 API/Addons installed on both Chrome and FireFox are not gone with FF57. I have gone back to FF56.0.2 since at least 3 extension work. I use the extension quite a bite as they shorten the work effort and are effortless but now if I do anything more will be going towards Chrome now. Mozilla by doing what they did showed lack of thinking outside of the box but more “Inside thinking inside the Box”. This is why Chrome has become more widely accepted. Worse even the Institution, I work at have said clearly new system install no longer have FireFox installed. And their response was all the problems it has created and utter failure to address problems.

Another to this point I had to do alot of configuration for both FF, Chrome, IE11, Edge to block or stop any privacy invasive settings. It was alot of work but doing it enough times I figure out where to look and how to change things but for everyday users they don’t and to expect General users to know in-depth changes to do that is a whole lot of Koolaid drinking by Mozilla.

AFAIK FF56.0.2 will be the last FireFox I use and install. Well Chrome here I came begrudgingly.

My god it has come true FireFox is no longer on our institution computers just like they said it wouldn’t be. Guess mozilla can count the organization I work for a lost clientele. Guess I’ll become a Chrome user now and join their camp ugh… I am glad though that I installed Chrome on my family computer as alternative Browser. Forgot to mention now all my Online orders , Banking will now be transferred to Chrome guess firefox wants to loose those long time FireFox user to their debacle.