Norway threatened by storm

vbimport

Meteorologists has stated that by tomorrow afternoon there could be wind force up to Beaufort 12 (74 mph) at the west coast in the southern half of Norway. Direction is northwest which means it comes from the sea and hits Norway directly, which in turn will be shielding Sweden for the worst of the storm.

It is not expected that it will be as violent and destructive as the previous storms in Europe, but still - worth a mention here.

Personally, I do not expect to have any other consequence than having to stay in the house. It is said that the storm is expected to have started building up by the time I head home from work tomorrow. I have a 30 min drive and expect to be just fine. I have plenty of exits where I can stop at an acquaintance’s residence if needed.

Looks like it will be worst from the last couple of hours of tomorrow night and the beginning of Friday.

http://www.yr.no/kart/#lat=61.90089&lon=8.97135&zoom=6&laga=vind&proj=3575

On the bright side, the UV forecast looks remarkably good.

Regards,

Its 63 F here now at 4:30 am…
But looks like Fri things will be much different…
Issued by The National Weather ServiceMemphis, TNÂ … WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM FRIDAY MORNING THROUGH FRIDAY EVENING…THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN MEMPHIS HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM WATCH… WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM FRIDAY MORNING THROUGH FRIDAY EVENING.* SNOW/SLEET/ICE ACCUMULATIONS… ONE QUARTER TO ONE HALF OF AN INCH OF ICE ACCUMULATION. LESS THAN ONE INCH OF SNOW AND SLEET ACCUMULATION.* TIMING… 9 AM FRIDAY MORNING THROUGH 9 PM FRIDAY EVENING.* IMPACTS… VERY HAZARDOUS TRAVEL. THE POTENTIAL FOR SOME DOWN TREE BRANCHES AND POWER LINES… THAT MAY LEAD TO SCATTERED POWER OUTAGES.PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS…A WINTER STORM WATCH MEANS THERE IS A POTENTIAL FOR SIGNIFICANT SNOW… SLEET… OR ICE ACCUMULATIONS THAT MAY IMPACT TRAVEL. CONTINUE TO MONITOR THE LATEST FORECASTS.

Well, Sexy Southerner, it looks like “Winter is coming…” and the bitch is that I’m on the wrong side of the wall…

Regards,

Norway can be darned silly. Why are you still shielding Sweden from these storms? Do they EVER return the favor? “Let’s switch places” would be nice, ONCE in a while, yes? But do they ever offer? Nooooo… not them. “We’ll stay snuggled from the North Atlantic by Norway, and from the Russkies by Finland! We’re quite happy, thank you!”

At some point, I keep thinking Norway will invent one of those giant land movers, hoist Sweden up and plop HER down on the Atlantic’s coastline! “Think of the view!” Yeah. Right. The lovely winter North Atlantic. Palm trees swaying - 100km an hour.

Our last sailing adventure was from Stockholm to Trondheim, Sep 2004, and I’d never been sailing in rough seas before. We stayed on the coast line, pulling into villages all the way up the coast. Bad head-colds, wet, windy. “Maybe we should have stayed in the Baltic” were our famous last words. Yes. And dodged tankers and ferries. We’d have been sunk! At least we can say we survived the North Atlantic!

[QUOTE=ChristineBCW;2711821]Norway can be darned silly. Why are you still shielding Sweden from these storms? Do they EVER return the favor? “Let’s switch places” would be nice, ONCE in a while, yes? But do they ever offer? Nooooo… not them. “We’ll stay snuggled from the North Atlantic by Norway, and from the Russkies by Finland! We’re quite happy, thank you!”

At some point, I keep thinking Norway will invent one of those giant land movers, hoist Sweden up and plop HER down on the Atlantic’s coastline! “Think of the view!” Yeah. Right. The lovely winter North Atlantic. Palm trees swaying - 100km an hour.

Our last sailing adventure was from Stockholm to Trondheim, Sep 2004, and I’d never been sailing in rough seas before. We stayed on the coast line, pulling into villages all the way up the coast. Bad head-colds, wet, windy. “Maybe we should have stayed in the Baltic” were our famous last words. Yes. And dodged tankers and ferries. We’d have been sunk! At least we can say we survived the North Atlantic![/QUOTE]

Simple: We need their Volvo’s that can handle our subzero climate, and their nurses for our healthcare sector, their politics to take more of the immigrants in to Sweden and their waiters for our restaurants

As soon as they stop giving us that… well then we’ll be building wind-amplifiers directed into Sweden into which we will also be pouring biological waste and the likes. We will also cease selling them electrical power and oil. Then we wish’em the best of luck :bigsmile:

ha ha…great stuff.

Maybe build a big dome - from coast to border - and make it aerodynamic so the winds flow due east.

A dome you say… let me get a pad and pencil… there. Please go on.

We’re to get the storm here as well.

[B]Today:[/B]

A bright but chilly day with sunny spells and a few showers. The showers will be mainly across Dumfries and Galloway with snow on the hills, but staying mostly dry over Lothian and Borders. Freshening westerly winds, strong near coasts. Maximum Temperature 8 °C.

[B]Tonight:[/B]

A mainly dry evening with clear spells and isolated showers. Cloud and rain will spread east later in the night. Strengthening westerly winds reaching gale or severe gale force later. Minimum Temperature 2 °C.

[B]Thursday:[/B]

Severe westerly gales at first then winds soon veer northwesterly and ease inland. Heavy rain clears south then turning colder with sunny spells and showers, these turning to snow. Maximum Temperature 5 °C.

[B]Outlook for Friday to Sunday[/B]:

Cold on Friday with isolated snow showers at first but becoming drier with winds easing. Turning milder but staying mostly cloudy on Saturday and Sunday.

[QUOTE=Tweakr;2711816]Well, Sexy Southerner, it looks like “Winter is coming…” and the bitch is that I’m on the wrong side of the wall…[/QUOTE] Are you expecting White Walkers?! :eek:

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2711844]Are you expecting White Walkers?! :eek:[/QUOTE]

What do you mean “expecting”? We’ve had them for years. We call them government or politicians. :eek:

The low pressure named Sven is going to last five days with snow and storm in Scania (souther part of Sweden). Thanks for that Norway! :a

[QUOTE=Tweakr;2711854]What do you mean “expecting”? We’ve had them for years. We call them government or politicians. :eek:[/QUOTE] Touché! :stuck_out_tongue:

[QUOTE=Gummigutta;2711861]The low pressure named Sven is going to last five days with snow and storm in Scania (souther part of Sweden). Thanks for that Norway! :a[/QUOTE]

??? Sven is Swedish, dude. No doubt about that. He’s coming home, deal with it. :rolleyes:

The Texas Panhandle is going to get a cold front & winter storm .
It should start this afternoon & is going to last about a week.
Mostly cold with some snow. This will be the first real one we’ve had this winter.
A bit off topic for Norway but looks like winter is here also.

I’ll let it slide…

Tweakr, Cholla’s 500 miles north of us in Amarillo, Texas. I blame ALL northers that blow into Austin on Amarillo’s refusal to close their door!

Now… Amarillo’s just a tad farther from you - to the southwest. BUT… if you pay attention to the Pacific equatorial storms, those blow up from the Mexican Pacific Coast, right thru Amarillo, onto Pennsylvania, Nova Scotia, heading straight for you!

You might not be completely wrong in blaming Amarillo for this Sven fellow, too. “CLOSE THE DOOR!”

(Albeit, a really BIG door…)

Now, for that dome idea… first, you need a balloon. Kind of a big one, too - the exact length and width of Norway, as a matter of fact. Then, tack down the edges, pour over a whole bunch of molten plastic, let them cool (that takes, uh, 2 seconds?) and then you should have a dome-effect.

Of course, if you had a really big 3D printer - !

[QUOTE=Gummigutta;2711861]The low pressure named Sven is going to last five days with snow and storm in Scania ([B]souther part of Sweden[/B]). [/QUOTE]

Don’t worry mate, you’ll be shielded by the colossal mountain belt of Denmark :wink:

[QUOTE=ChristineBCW;2711879]Tweakr, Cholla’s 500 miles north of us in Amarillo, Texas. I blame ALL northers that blow into Austin on Amarillo’s refusal to close their door!

Now… Amarillo’s just a tad farther from you - to the southwest. BUT… if you pay attention to the Pacific equatorial storms, those blow up from the Mexican Pacific Coast, right thru Amarillo, onto Pennsylvania, Nova Scotia, heading straight for you!

You might not be completely wrong in blaming Amarillo for this Sven fellow, too. “CLOSE THE DOOR!”

(Albeit, a really BIG door…)

Now, for that dome idea… first, you need a balloon. Kind of a big one, too - the exact length and width of Norway, as a matter of fact. Then, tack down the edges, pour over a whole bunch of molten plastic, let them cool (that takes, uh, 2 seconds?) and then you should have a dome-effect.

Of course, if you had a really big 3D printer - ![/QUOTE]

…tack down the edges? Yeah. Why don’t you hold your breath while I go do that… I’ll let you know when you can breathe again by sending smoke signals. They might become a tad smudged on the way, but I gather you should manage to interpret it.

[QUOTE=BeeR_DoG;2711888]Don’t worry mate, you’ll be shielded by the colossal mountain belt of Denmark ;)[/QUOTE]

Denmark… Denmark… OH! Now I remember… Yes it is one of the [B]notches[/B] in the belt. I’d completely forgotten… :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=Tweakr;2711892]…tack down the edges? Why don’t you hold your breath while I go do that…:bigsmile:[/QUOTE]
Well - you COULD ask 3-4 friends to help and that’d cut the time down considerably!! Sheesh - do I have to do ALL the thinking on this project?!!

(You might also collect a few buckets along the way - I’d be fairly generous in pouring that molten plastic over the giant balloon. See how helpful I am?!!)

@ Christine ,It’s actually NM & Oklahoma’s job to tighten the barb wire snow & wind fence that runs from Clayton ,NM to Woodward ,OK .