Norway: no reason to hound Apple over DRM any longer

Norway’s consumer watchdog group has nothing left to complain about after Apple announced that DRM on iTunes Store music would be going the way of the dodo. That’s why it’s now dropping the case against Apple and moving on to bigger and better things.

Link: http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2009/02/norway-we-have-no-reason-to-pursue-apple-over-drm-anymore.ars

:cool::cool:

As far as I can tell, this affects their iTunes music only, but at least it’s nice to see a serious blow to DRM for music. :smiley:

Unfortunately, their DRM on some TV shows and movies (expecially HD versions) has gone to the point where new MacBooks require a HDCP capable display to view them on. :doh: Time will tell if they enforce this on Windows based PCs later on.

I wonder if people realize how much HDCP is going to affect their HiDef viewing, especially on older machines which do not have HDCP. The main reason i started backing up my DVD’s was to remove protection which is what turns on HDCP. If a DVD Player senses copyright protection it will scale down to 480p if it does not receive a signal back from the viewing unit. With no protection, this does not happen and upscaling DVD players will upscale up to 720p or 1080i. My LCD Projector was purchased a year before HDCP came out.