Norton Ghost v?

vbimport

Ok, here a technical question. I have ghost 2003 that I use regular to make image of my C:\ drive onto another spare HDD to store that image incase of crashes on the C:. Then all I have to do is replace the C drive and reghost back the save image and back into business. I can use 2003 to make a boot floppy disk but if you put it into a sata machine it screws up the boot and HDD forcing reformat again. I know their is a command /no ide but does 2003 even recognize sata drives? I know there is ghost 12 and 14 but do those let you create a floppy drive of the ghost program itself?

IIRC Ghost 2003 will work with SATA drives if you setup your BIOS to use ATA compatibility mode (or whatever it’s called). I’ve used Ghost 2003 this way on my 4-year old desktop computer.

I’m not entirely sure but I don’t think you can make a boot floppy from Ghost versions later than 2003 which will allow you to create Ghost images.

You might be interested in the Macrium Reflect FREE Edition, which will make the image from within windows, and allows you to make a bootable CD (based on Linux) for restoring the image. The payware version has additional features.

I’m using Macrium Reflect FREE Edition on my desktop computer now, instead of Ghist 2003, and I’m using Acronis True Image 11 Home on my laptop.

Ghost 2003 build .793 (the latest one) should work on SATA drives. If you don’t have this build you can update your current build. If you need to update go to this website and read this thread:

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1206707882

I also saw today that Paragon software has a free offer on their Drive Backup 9.0 Express. Here’s a link if you want to give it a try:

http://www.paragon-software.com/home/db-express/features.html

I hope this helps.

Alan

You might be able to make a boot CD with newer Ghost versions plus a Win98 or WinMe Startup disk. That’s what I did with my Ghost 2003 so I could boot to and run Ghost from same CD without having to have a floppy to run Ghost. Boot floppies may be downloaded from the internet if you don’t have one.

I used Nero “Make Boot CD” option and added the Ghost folder from Windows, contents of Startup disk and selected the floppy drive for Boot source when option is given in Nero. Such a CD boots as drive A, and it’s necessary to type "X:’ and press enter where “X” is drive letter of CDROM, type “cd Ghost” to change directory to Ghost folder and finally type “Ghost” to execute Ghost. Note it may be necessary to type “Another File Name” for what ever the executable file name is in newer Ghost versions, but I think it should work with later Ghost versions.

[quote=Mister_Al;2108988]Ghost 2003 build .793 (the latest one) should work on SATA drives. If you don’t have this build you can update your current build. If you need to update go to this website and read this thread:

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1206707882

[/quote] Thanks for the tip! :flower:

It was a time consuming process to perform the upgrade just for the sake of getting a single DOS excutable updated, but the Ghost 2003.793 version seems to handle SATA disks directly where Ghost 2003.775 just hangs. :iagree:

Is the .793 update for WinXP only because it doesn’t work for Win2k SP4? The first problem I encounter when trying to install from Symantec link is “MSIEXEC.EXE has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You will need to run the program again.” However, the install seems to proceed to completion. Then in steps 4 and 5 from Symantec link no dialog box or “Next” options appear, and the process continues automatically until it displays “LiveUpdate session complete.” The file still shows .775 version when properties are checked. I tried it 4 or 5 times with same result.

Has anyone else had this problem or know a possible fix or work around? I suspect the problem is due to the list of updates not being seen in steps 4 and 5, but I don’t know how to get around that problem. There is 1 change I made in step 3 where it says to save target as C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\Settings.Hosts.LiveUpdate, I changed the “C” to “E” because Win2k and its Program Files are on E drive. Could this change be cause of the problem, and what might be done to correct it if it is?

I use Norton Ghost since it first out until I got problems with my new computers. I don’t recall the Ghost version but it is fine since a couple years ago on my Pentium 4 Dell. The emergency boot disc wont boot properly in my newer computers. In one of them, I had to disable the JMicron controller and it will boot properly. I’ve had a time where my boys computers were not imaged at all due to incompatibility of Ghost. Then I read many members here recommends Acronis. Try it for a few images and love it. Same with Dragemester, I’m now using Acronis True Image 11 home edition for all my needs. I can make and restore Image from within windows or from the boot/emergency disc on all of my PCs (old and new) and laptops.

[QUOTE=bevills1;2109459]Is the .793 update for WinXP only because it doesn’t work for Win2k SP4? The first problem I encounter when trying to install from Symantec link is “MSIEXEC.EXE has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You will need to run the program again.” However, the install seems to proceed to completion. Then in steps 4 and 5 from Symantec link no dialog box or “Next” options appear, and the process continues automatically until it displays “LiveUpdate session complete.” The file still shows .775 version when properties are checked. I tried it 4 or 5 times with same result.

Has anyone else had this problem or know a possible fix or work around? I suspect the problem is due to the list of updates not being seen in steps 4 and 5, but I don’t know how to get around that problem. There is 1 change I made in step 3 where it says to save target as C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\Settings.Hosts.LiveUpdate, I changed the “C” to “E” because Win2k and its Program Files are on E drive. Could this change be cause of the problem, and what might be done to correct it if it is?[/QUOTE]

You might want to register at the Radified forums and present your problem there if you continue to have problems updating Ghost 2003. That entire forum is dedicated to imaging/cloning software (mostly Norton’s Ghost) and someone there should be able to help you out.

Radified Home Page: http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl

Alan

In spite of the errors it seems update was installed after all. Properties for the Ghost Start icon shows .793 version, but GhostStartTrayApp shows .775 version. The update was repeated on another system successfully without errors, but I noticed it took a couple of runs from the Symantec link. The update even works for Win98, taking 2 runs as well. First run updated to .789, and second run updated to .793 in all instances… Is it normal to take 2 runs of the Symantec steps? Note Win98 gave error “You must have registry write permission to…” message in 1 step, but update succeeded in spite of that eror message.

[QUOTE=bevills1;2109633]In spite of the errors it seems update was installed after all. Properties for the Ghost Start icon shows .793 version, but GhostStartTrayApp shows .775 version. The update was repeated on another system successfully without errors, but I noticed it took a couple of runs from the Symantec link. The update even works for Win98, taking 2 runs as well. First run updated to .789, and second run updated to .793 in all instances… Is it normal to take 2 runs of the Symantec steps? Note Win98 gave error “You must have registry write permission to…” message in 1 step, but update succeeded in spite of that eror message.[/QUOTE]

From what I understand it’s normal to have to run Live Update for each available update (build) until you finally have build 793.

Glad it worked out for you.

Alan