Norton 2004 series users encounter a product activation glitch

I just posted the article Norton 2004 series users encounter a product activation glitch.

While many software and game developers are experimenting with copy protected discs to counteract piracy, Symantec took Microsoft’s approach by using product activation. When a user…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/7021-Norton-2004-series-users-encounter-a-product-activation-glitch.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/7021-Norton-2004-series-users-encounter-a-product-activation-glitch.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

This kind of protection sucks, it makes it so you can’t change your hardware at will. The hardware makers should sue. This kind of protection hurts their business. It scares people into not upgrading their computers for fear that the software will no longer work. And yet again this is a classic example of hurting the people that follow the law cause their product won’t activate when the hackers probably experienced no problems at all.
[edited by chsbiking on 03.11.2003 02:15]

I work in a major computer chain, guess which antivirus program me and my work associates least recommend. We had to put up with it in windows, but fortunately there are plenty of other options out there for antivirus protection.

This little stunt they pulled with product activation made me switch to McAfee and I’m very glad that I did :B

That activation stuff will get me to change antivirus software. I didn’t have to activate MicrosoftXP even though I had to stick with it but Norton I will now drop them and their products and I have been using them for 12 years. The last thing I want to do when I make major chages is to re-activate and they don’t evn seem toi have it together at all for now:(

I dont have a modem so I guess I cant use this software…

“I dont have a modem so I guess I cant use this software…” If that is the case you have no need for this software, you cannot update your virus definitions without an internet connection so the software would be pointless.

This a classic case of a “feature” that is SUPPOSE to benefit the consumer by instilling confidence that the product they purchased is an authorized copy from the manfaucturer and garaunteeing the company that all of this version of product in use had been officially purchased from them making their revenues grow. BUT as always this does neither and in some cases greatly handicaps those who have put their trust in Symantec. I have used Norton now for over 10 years. I swore off McAfee due to system resource reasons and Norton was the only reasonably priced alternative in the commercial Anti-Virus market. These kind of events are making Sophos and other look very good

U can get a V.92 modem for $6 (S&H incl.) try pricewatch.com

I use AVG anti-virus. It is free for private home use, uses far less CPU resources than McAfee (which came with the PC; I done some tests), is not plagued with Spy/Ad-ware and the only E-mail I ever received from them over the past 1.5 years was the serial# to install it. AVG auto-updates every few days and has already caught several viruses in E-mails and infected downloads on my PC. :d If Norton wants to work the total opposite way, let them! Time will tell if their approach really works in encouraging users to purchase their products instead of trying out competitors.

He also recommended that customers who encounter the problem not restart their computers. How can I use my computer without starting it … and never restart anymore ? Can not install other programs anymore because Symantec support tells me not to restart my pc. What’s next in PC world ? Never use your PC ???:frowning:

He also recommended that customers who encounter the problem not restart their computers. How can I use my computer without starting it … and never restart anymore ? Can not install other programs anymore because Symantec support tells me not to restart my pc. What’s next in PC world ? Never use your PC ???:frowning:

No wonder piracy is rife, if you buy the legit product and it still doesn’t work, they still keep taking our money though,screw up our systems and there is no recourse. Use AVG it’s free, and gives you no hassle, and it does the job is supposed to, not like Norton 2004. Peter Norton complains that his products are being ripped off, now whos doing the ripping!!!

AVG is quite good and I have been slowly switching to it. It doesn’t expire. It doesn’t have interface bloat–that is where it does nothing more than the last version but it looks better and takes a lot more memory. Norton expiring every year is enough trouble without all activation troubles. One of my users thought he was protected until I pointed out the NAV date and told them that all but the definitions get updated after expiry. McAfee may work now but I’ve spent too many years debugging system crashes and slowdowns to their AV. Microsoft has no competition so they get away with Activation. Norton has tons of competition. This should be fun to watch.

I was being sarcastic when I said I didnt have a modem… No modem, no install right? Or should I say internet connection… Its the same thing, they require you to be online to activate…