North American LDW-411s

I’m more interested in the LDW-411S here in North America (specifically the US) as this drive is starting to get seriously fire-saled (as low as $80).

The drive will be used for three purposes:

1. DVD movie duplication.
  2. Drive backup.
  3. A second CD-R/RW burner.

I will not be cloning PS2/XBOX DVDs (I have/own neither).

I am curious about DVD duplication speed/cloning results, preferred media for movie dupes and data backups, and how well the drive performs burning CD-R media.

You can read the CD Freaks review on that drive for more information. I won’t spoil the surprise! :bigsmile:

http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/127

Where is it for $80. At that price I might get a second one. Over 125 burns on Memorex media and not 1 coaster yet.

Originally posted by aaronwt
Where is it for $80.

It’s from the “rumored” Black Friday sale at Best Buy for $80 after rebate, but it’ll probably be at that price by the first quarter of next year anyway.

Be careful, I’ve seen the 411s as low as $US49.95 after rebate…but I’ve got 2 and have not gotten even one good DVD nor CD burn after lots of work.

Rememeber the old phrase…if the deal seems too good it probably IS!

Make 100% certain any 411s you buy can be returned for 100% credit…

I got the drive on one of those sales but am returning it after reading all the posts in different forums around the net. There are just too many people outthere having problems. I don’t know, maybe it would work fine, but it is a gamble which I am not willing to take. The review (somebody provided a link in one of the messages above) is rather one-sided – it doesn’t acknowledge at all that huge number of people are having problems with this drive.

You might have good luck with the drive, but read some posts on this forum first, and also on other forums, including LiteOn’s own (has weird navigation, but many messages):
http://www.liteonit.com/ODD/english/english-talk/talk.asp

Originally posted by jtoras
[B]I got the drive on one of those sales but am returning it after reading all the posts in different forums around the net. There are just too many people outthere having problems. I don’t know, maybe it would work fine, but it is a gamble which I am not willing to take. The review (somebody provided a link in one of the messages above) is rather one-sided – it doesn’t acknowledge at all that huge number of people are having problems with this drive.

You might have good luck with the drive, but read some posts on this forum first, and also on other forums, including LiteOn’s own (has weird navigation, but many messages):
http://www.liteonit.com/ODD/english/english-talk/talk.asp [/B]

Well I base my reviews on my experience with the drive :wink:

1: I would guess that most of the problems is caused by “user errors” like:
-using bad / low quality /cheap media
-using conflicting programs
-using bad IDE drivers
-other things not related to the drive…

And remember that Lite-On is a brand selling MANY drives also as OEM, if a certain percentage have problems then there will for sure be more people with problems with Lite-On drives than with other brands selling less drives…

I believe you that you didn’t have any problems, and in general I agree with your comments. There is also the fact that most people that will post comments are people with problems – if the drive works well for someone, that person doesn’t have much reason to post after all.

But what surprised me was that people with experience were commenting about problems with this drive, some of these people in fact own other LiteOn drives and like them very much. Some people actually wrote that they own multiple burners, so they have working experience with burners to be able to compare the quality/problems with other drives.

Using bad media could be a problem too. But if this drive so particularly picky about the media, it is not a small problem, as the media is not exactly inexpensive.

I myself was really hoping to keep the drive, especially since reviews here and elsewhere were rather good. But I just don’t want to risk it as I definitely don’t have enough knowledge or time to solve problems with possible conflicting programs, drivers etc. Hey, if the store doesn’t take it back I may have to keep it…

I would love to hear from people that are using this drive and had no problems using it or installing it. If any of you read this, can you please add a reply?

Originally posted by jtoras
[B]I believe you that you didn’t have any problems, and in general I agree with your comments. There is also the fact that most people that will post comments are people with problems – if the drive works well for someone, that person doesn’t have much reason to post after all.

But what surprised me was that people with experience were commenting about problems with this drive, some of these people in fact own other LiteOn drives and like them very much. Some people actually wrote that they own multiple burners, so they have working experience with burners to be able to compare the quality/problems with other drives.

Using bad media could be a problem too. But if this drive so particularly picky about the media, it is not a small problem, as the media is not exactly inexpensive.

I myself was really hoping to keep the drive, especially since reviews here and elsewhere were rather good. But I just don’t want to risk it as I definitely don’t have enough knowledge or time to solve problems with possible conflicting programs, drivers etc. Hey, if the store doesn’t take it back I may have to keep it…

I would love to hear from people that are using this drive and had no problems using it or installing it. If any of you read this, can you please add a reply? [/B]

I wouldn’t say I had NO problems…However, my problems were with Roxio’s EZ CD DVD Creator 6…That has been rectified and I have had zero issues with this drive. It’s quite fast…and much more capable (of reading multiple media types properly (for me)) with the new firmware as well…I personally wouldn’t bother taking it back, but that’s me.

Dan