Norcent DWD-840

vbimport

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?j=1&id=1069299120257&type=product

who makes it? I’ve heard so many ppl say its a lite-on 811, and i would’ve guessed a plextor 708 because TDK uses the code 840, but norcent says its its an 8x8… so I’m curious what this is a rebadge of…

A Lite-On LDW-811S.

it’s incorrectly advertised as a 8x8 - it’s just a 8x4.

Norcent said there would be a firmware update to 8x8 but I have my doubts about that.

I’ve heard some ppl say it could be the new LiteOn SOHW-812S drive…

http://www.norcent.net/norcent/products/optical/dwd840.htm

Norcent posts it as an 8x8 too… with so much unsurity I’m tempted to check a BB to see what’s going on! if its an 8x8 LiteOn I might give it a whirl… :stuck_out_tongue:

OC-Freak, Is it an assumption that its incorrectly advertised or are u sure somehow? with so many conflicting statements about it, I’m not sure what’s right and what’s not :expressionless:

According to my contacts at Lite-On: The 812S is not yet in production.

I’ve spoken to several people that have bought this drive - thinking it was a 8x8 -but found it to be a regular LDW-811S 8x4 drive.

I went to 3 local BBs this morning just to find that there aren’t any in stock. One claimed they sold out, thus, pulled the tag. The other two had never seen it. The packaging sure reflected the SOHW-812S drive, since the specifications listed on their website were not similar to the NEC, Pioneer, or BTC drives. I had hoped to use the extra 10% off that would’ve expired today.

So did anyone every find out if this drive was just a rebadged job?

Looking at the pictures it does look exactly like a liteon 811, even down to the curve of the door.
But if you look closely at the box you see it does say 8x dvd-r 8x dvd+r. So it couldnt be a 811 right?

Originally posted by DMagic1
[B]So did anyone every find out if this drive was just a rebadged job?

Looking at the pictures it does look exactly like a liteon 811, even down to the curve of the door.
But if you look closely at the box you see it does say 8x dvd-r 8x dvd+r. So it couldnt be a 811 right? [/B]

If I’m right it’s an incorrectly advertised LDW-811S. It do not support 8x -R and 4x -RW.