Noobie issues with Pioneer DVR111D

I’m a newbie to Double Layer burning, but not to DVD burning. I picked up a DVR111D and the first DL media I could find (Memorex). I typically use ImgBurn but also have TMPGEnc DVD Author, Padus DiscJuggler for burning software. Firmware reports as 1.23.

Issue 1: Media is not recognized. Nero Infotool reports “no disc inserted”; ImgBurn (after “getting…” a whole bunch of information) reports “disc not empty”.

Issue 2: Trouble updating firmware. It appears that version 1.29 is the most recent firmware, but trying to run f/w updater, I get:

C:\DVRA11\FW129EU>UPGA11.exe
/// ODD Firmware Update Utility Ver2.37A
Detect the Intel’s IDE driver.
Available target is not found.

I’m going to go out and hunt for some Verbatim discs, but I fear I have bigger problems?

of course, thanks for any pointers, even if the usual “you didn’t read this post first, dummy”.

@ Redmondman,

Welcome to the Forum.

Get rid of the garbage Memorex DL Media and most definitely obtain Verbatim DL MKM001/MKM003 Mitsubishi Kagaku Media.

You have a Pioneer DVR-111D and should be using Pioneer DVR-111D Firmware and NOT DVR-A11 Firmware. Suggest obtaining Pioneer DVR-111D v1.29 Firmware from below ->

http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_firmware.php?download_id=2220

Regards,
bjkg

Thanks, I too discovered my bonehead user error (wrong firmware). I was able to update the firmware successfully. Will report back on the media.

Wondering if I have a bum drive. I dropped a TDK DVD+R SL in the drive (media that has been flawless with my NEC writer) and I get the same behavior…

[QUOTE=Redmondman;1926149]Wondering if I have a bum drive. I dropped a TDK DVD+R SL in the drive (media that has been flawless with my NEC writer) and I get the same behavior…[/QUOTE]

That is also not good media. Please post the MID/mediacode…

In case of DL, please use Verbatim DL media (MKM001 / MKM003 mediacode).

Quick updates:

Memorex-branded disc: RITEK-D01-01

While shopping for Verbatim media, I picked up an Optiarc 7190A drive for comparison. It’s already doing better than the Pioneer (and I’m buring a test coaster – I mean RITEKD01 disk). I’ll test both drives with the Verbatim media and report back.

@ Redmondman,

For the Pioneer DVR-111D to operate and function correctly requires the use of an Ultra DMA (80-Conductor) IDE/ATA Cable, be installed correctly on the Ultra DMA (80-Conductor) IDE/ATA Cable (Master/Slave jumper correctly and installed in the correct position on the Ultra DMA (80-Conductor) IDE/ATA Cable) and operate in the Ultra DMA Mode 4.

Have you visually physically ensured that you have your Pioneer DVR-111D DVD Burner Correctly installed on an Ultra DMA (80-Conductor) IDE/ATA Cable? This visually physically confirmation requires opening the computer case and actually visually physically ensuring that in fact you are using an Ultra DMA (80-Conductor) IDE/ATA Cable. The below Web Link provides a visual detailed depiction of a Ultra DMA (80-Conductor) IDE/ATA Cable and also provides detailed Connector assignments Color Coding information.

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/confCable80-c.html

Also ensure that you have Master/Slave jumpers correctly set and have not attempted to use the Cable Select (CS) jumper position that in some configurations causes problems.

Regards,
bjkg

Interesting – I know I’m using Cable Select, as the drive I swapped out was set to CS.

I’ll check on the 80-wire cable.

FYI: the Optiarc 7190A burn to RITEK-D01 (my first DL burn that I was sure would be a coaster) was perfect. Also Cable Select, same cable as to the Pioneer.

Re-opening the case now…

[QUOTE=Redmondman;1926688]Interesting – I know I’m using Cable Select, as the drive I swapped out was set to CS.

I’ll check on the 80-wire cable.

FYI: [B]the Optiarc 7190A burn to RITEK-D01 (my first DL burn that I was sure would be a coaster) was perfect[/B]. Also Cable Select, same cable as to the Pioneer.

Re-opening the case now…[/QUOTE]

Why do you know “it was perfect”???

Fair question. I base that statement on a good verify from Imgburn as well as good playback from a DVD player.

Well, I end the thread here. I’m sending back the Pioneer and keeping the Sony/NEC Optiarc 7190A.

Well, this story has a happy ending. Happy, that is, if you’re like me and like to get to the root cause.

First a little cleanup. I now understand the silliness of calling something a “perfect” burn. I’ve seen several scans in the forum, and although I can post a scan, the burn I made was with a different drive so it would be off-topic here in the Pioneer sub-forum.

I took bjkg’s suggestion to check the cabling and the jumpers. Yes, it is an 80-conductor cable. I changed the jumpering from Cable Select/Cable Select to Master/Slave, but there was no change in behavior.

Then I popped a CD in the drive. The drive still indicated that no disc was inserted, but then I noticed something: Explorer changed the drive title from “DVD-RW” to “CD-ROM”. Hmmm…

This behavior made me suspicious that not all the pins were connecting. So I decided to take a close look at the pins, suspecting a bent pin. When I looked, I thought I had a bent pin, but on closer inspection, Pin 21 was broken. It looked like a mere stub of a pin.

Anyway, that’s got to be the root cause, so I thank everyone here for the welcome and the help. I’m still returning the Pioneer and keeping the Optiarc, but at least now I can tell them why it’s defective!