Noob-will EEPROM restore to original brandname?

vbimport

Hi all,

It seems I found the right place, so here it is…

I got our families 1st burner (that’s good). :slight_smile:

It is a digitalmax 3S163 on sale from office max (that’s bad). :frowning:

The kids burned a few CD’s, and I got a few CD/DVD RW’s tested with some files, then error. I sent the error report to microsoft, and found there were NERO updates (I had installed the original nero OEM suit and inCD that it came with). As with others in this forum, I now have a shiny new burner and disks to burn, but NO CD’s (audio, RW’s) are read. The computer thinks there is no disk. :confused:

So, my question from perusing the forum is:

Will the EEPROM utility restore the original digitalmax info if I patch to a liteon?

I may have a RMA for this disk (hopefully by the end of the month, support is slowwwww), and I’ll want the original info in it if I return it. You know, I wouldn’t want the warranty voided. :wink:

Since this is our families first burner, I’d like to get it working, without the downtime if possible. :sad:

If the EEPROM will restore the original, can anyone recommend, possibly freeware, software to use instead of NERO, at least until the problem that a number of us seem to have is resolved?

Thanks for your time,
Scotty out…

P.S. I’ve tried different versions of nero off the web (can’t reinstall suite, because can’t read disk) and no different. Old CD-ROM bye-bye.

I dont understand clearly …

1. to restore u need to have backup of EEPROM.
  2. it must be a clone of liteon to flash it whit liteon FW(i think its >> SOHW-1633S 16x+R, 4x+RW, 2.4x+R9, 8x-R, 4x-RW right ?) if YES u can use
    http://codeguys.rpc1.org/firmwares/1653S.CS0P.patched-cf-ledfix.rar to flash it

but before … check if your PC can bootup from that burner.

if u want free software to burn (i dont know it would hlp)

If your drive isnt working properly the last thing you want to do is crossflash it, crossflashing will not fix a damaged drive, i suggest you try the burner in a different machine to see wether its a software issue or a damaged drive.

@ oldDOSguy

You can try uninstalling inCD. It might help, packet-writing software can produce problems. Then try booting your pc with your drive, like besmirch suggested. If the pc boots with this drive then it could be some software problem, but if not, and I suspect it’s likely it won’t, then you should RMA the drive. If you suffered a neverending leadout while burning a cd (unfortunatelly you did not tell us what the error message was) your drive may be permanently damaged. Good luck, keep us informed.

:confused: Leo

Thanks all for your quick replies. :bow:
Here’s some more info:

1. to restore u need to have backup of EEPROM.

I got the EEPROM utility and it is backed up (after the CD technology Failed)

1. it must be a clone of liteon to flash it whit liteon FW(i think its >> SOHW-1633S 16x+R, 4x+RW, 2.4x+R9, 8x-R, 4x-RW right ?)

you are right.

but before … check if your PC can bootup from that burner.

Tried to boot winXP upgrade disk, won’t boot.

“If all else fails, hit it with a big hammer.”

Wood chipper is more exciting. :wink:

If your drive isnt working properly the last thing you want to do is crossflash it, crossflashing will not fix a damaged drive, i suggest you try the burner in a different machine to see wether its a software issue or a damaged drive.

I may have a machine fast enough to try it in, but won’t be able to for a few days.

It will read and burn DVD’s. Is the CD technology different? Can that be seperately damaged? I will wait on crossflashing, but could updated firmware ‘fix’ it? Can the Nero software damage it? (I have no idea what the firmware does for this drive). :confused:

You can try uninstalling inCD.

First thing I did was uninstall inCD (found this forum quickly), Nero start smart, and cleaned computer with Nero cleaners. No CD support from drive. Windows restore didn’t help either.

If you suffered a neverending leadout while burning a cd (unfortunatelly you did not tell us what the error message was) your drive may be permanently damaged.

Yeah, I wish I could remember, but I think it seemed ‘locked-up’ while trying to format a CD-RW after burning files onto a DVD+RW. When I gave it the 3-finger salute, that’s when I got the error message. That, through MS error-report sent me to Nero’s upgrade. If, I remember correctly, then, it happened just before the Nero upgrade.

By the way, what is this lead-out thingee that keeps being mentioned? How would that damage the drive?

That’s all I can think of for now,
Thanks again for your time and wisdom,
Scotty out…

@ oldDOSguy

There are a lot of these drives damaged by a what I call a neverending lead-out. After burning a cd the drive hangs forever during lead-out and can only be stopped by turning off the computer. Some people reacted quick enough, and saved theire drives. But most of the time the cd part of the drive gets permanently damaged, leaving the only solution, replacing the drive.
It looks like your drive suffer the same problem :confused: :o

:a Leo

more plesuare is … to have 5kh hammer … and hit it caple times ;p

if it cant bootup … drive is damaged … flash it … on 90% … wont help =(

Get this!

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.

THIS IS A WARNING MESSAGE ONLY.

YOU DO NOT NEED TO RESEND YOUR MESSAGE.

Delivery to the following recipients has been delayed.

[email]support@godigitalmax.com[/email]

Message/delivery-status

Reporting-MTA: dns;WEBA25.CRYSTALTECH.COM
Received-From-MTA: dns;WEBA25.CRYSTALTECH.COM
Arrival-Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2005 21:27:46 -0700

Final-Recipient: rfc822;support@godigitalmax.com
Action: delayed
Will-Retry-Until: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 21:27:06 -0700

Seems they’re not answering the phone.

I wonder how this will launch in a trap shooter. PULL!

@Idw
Can you fill me in on what a lead-out is? or maybe direct me to a source for some basic info?

Thanks all
Scotty out…

@ oldDOSguy

Burning a cd or dvd starts usually with the lead-in, followed by the tracks or data, and the last thing is the lead-out. I don’t know the technical details, but I guess thats where the addresses are written where the tracks or data is written on the disk.

:slight_smile: Leo

So, anyway, back to my original question…

If I decide to mess around with this drive, will the EEPROM backup restore the disk to the F’dU original so I can do a RMA? :wink:

Scotty out…

@ oldDOSguy

You should be able to restore the drive by flashing the original firmware. Flashing a copy of the EEPROM is not nescessary, but if you have a copy with learnt media data made with that firmware it seems to me logic to do it.
So, if you did’nt mess around with it yet, make copies first from firmware and EEPROM.

:cool: Leo