Noob questions about burning quality

vbimport

Hello everybody, I have just found out about your site, which is absolutely great.

I have some general questions about dvd burning. Propably these questions have already been answered but i couldn’t locate them:

1. How can i check the quality of a dvd being written? I have seen a lot of people posting screenshots of nero, how is it used to monitor writing quality?
  2. Is it possible to check the quality of disc already written?
  3. Will burning discs at lower speeds help my dvds live longer?

I own a Plexot 716A.

Thank you in Advance,

Andreas.

[quote=askou;2081544]Hello everybody, I have just found out about your site, which is absolutely great.

I have some general questions about dvd burning. Propably these questions have already been answered but i couldn’t locate them:

1. How can i check the quality of a dvd being written? I have seen a lot of people posting screenshots of nero, how is it used to monitor writing quality?
  2. Is it possible to check the quality of disc already written?
  3. Will burning discs at lower speeds help my dvds live longer?

I own a Plexot 716A.

Thank you in Advance,

Andreas.[/quote]
welcome to the forum askou, yes it possible to check the quality of the disc already written just use nero cd dvd speed for that. burning at a lower speed will not help your discs last longer. If you want better answer then post in the blank media section of this forum but before posting read what others have posted becuase you will find out a lot of good stuff there

Hi :slight_smile:
Welcome on board askou. :iagree: :clap:

#1:- You can check the quality of a DVD (after burning).
Using CD/DVSpeed.
Two checks that are common.
TRT (TransferRateTest) - Look for smooth lines.
DiscQuality. Look for low PIE / PIF & Jitter.
Less common a check, but still good is Scan Disc. This tells you of any poor or bad sectors.

#2:- See answer #1.

#3:- Yes lower speeds not only give better quality of burn, but likely to aid longevity of said disc.
Too say nothing of possibly extending life of drive.
It is also true to burn too slow & the end result give a very poor reading.
As a rule of thumb. Most users will burn @ half the disc rated speed for reference backups.

All the above will work only if your drive supports the functions.
Your Plextor does not.
However you can use Plextools.
The scanning of discs using Plextools will take longer, but many believe the results to be more consistant.

GJ and zebadee thank you very much for your answers… I used my brother’s NEC to perform a Quality Check using Nero DiskSpee… I posted the results here: http://club.cdfreaks.com/f43/post-your-plextor-716-dvd-quality-scans-here-187436/index16.html#post2081562
is my drive dying? thank you in advance…

Hi :slight_smile:
The problem here is that the NEC isn’t that great for scanning.
Despite this, the scan does show a healthy drive the cluster of PIE & PIF at the end could be a speck of dust etc. Possibly too high a burn rate.
You could using your drive try a TRT.
If concerned by the clusters. Do a Scan Disc for any errors.

Edit: Just read the post to go with the scans.
The media you are using should be good @ 8x.
Plextor use TY (or rather used to in the good old days when genuine Plextor’s were still made).
I also suggest you try Plextools & your Plextor.

The LE version is free:
http://www.plextools.com/download/download.asp

Thank you very much …

I will perform the test and post the results as soon as it has finished …

Ok, I did the tests and i posted the results in the folloing post:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f43/post-your-plextor-716-dvd-quality-scans-here-187436/index16.html#post2081630

If you check the TA checks you’ll see that TA indicator is Excellent (inner) - Very Good (middle) - Excellent (outer).

Still I cannot understand why is it so difficult for 716A to read specific types of disks…

Thank you in Advance!

Still I cannot understand why is it so difficult for 716A to read specific types of disks…

Could be because it’s an older burner & the firmware for the drive hasn’t been updated from Plextor in a while. Older drive, new media.

[QUOTE=beef barley;2081690]Could be because it’s an older burner & the firmware for the drive hasn’t been updated from Plextor in a while. Older drive, new media.[/QUOTE]

Beef Barley, thank you for your answer.
The problem with the drive is that it doesn’t read old, no name (or mitsui’s) discs. It can handle Tayo Yaden / That’s , regardless of age, at least those burned on my brother’s NEC.
As I mentioned before I don’t care about other brands, since I only burn data on That’s DVD -R Ceramic Coat (red ones) but it’s the writing quality that makes me worry. Anyway the scans were good and I’m going to switch to another manufacturer soon… :slight_smile: