Noob question: how many dvds to burn in a row?

I’ve been wondering how this affects the burns: I noticed a while back that if I burned, say, four DVDs in a row than the fourth would be a coaster. I usually limit myself to two burns now in any power cycle of my computer.

Also, if the computer’s been on for a while, has anyone experienced problems? Or in this case would you restart before burning?

Finally, does it matter how many you burn in a row if you switch burning programs? I suspect it’s the burner itself that gets all tuckered out.

Thanks for the help people! :Z

Not sure if leaving your pc on makes any difference, personally I never shut my tower off or cycle it between burns, but I always wait 10 - 15 minutes between burns.

For what I know, there is no issue if the computer’s been on for hours.

You can do many consecutive burns, but it is a good thing to wait some time to let the drive cool a bit, mostly if you burn at high speeds (from 12x on).

I think that 5-10 minutes are sufficient, and leaving the tray open can improve the cooling :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=geno888;1953048]For what I know, there is no issue if the computer’s been on for hours.

You can do many consecutive burns, but it is a good thing to wait some time to let the drive cool a bit, mostly if you burn at high speeds (from 12x on).

I think that 5-10 minutes are sufficient, and leaving the tray open can improve the cooling :)[/QUOTE]

Bad idea, this will let more dust and etc, into the drive simply closing it and not using it for a few moments would be better. JMO:D

I didn’t think about dust indeed :doh:

It depends on the drive and on how well it is cooled inside your pc. A hot drive makes worse burns, perhaps even coasters.

I don’t burn more than two DVDs in a row in the same drive. Then I wait at least 10 minutes before burning again in the same drive. Since I have several drives, this isn’t a big problem for me.

Your mileage may vary.

@[B]snotface[/B]: Welcome to CDFreaks! :slight_smile:

You overhearing the Burner. The suspension coils are susceptible to heat failures as all coils tend to generate heat do to the inductive reactant of electricity. You can feel the warmth on the DVD so I would wait at least 5 minutes before I burned another and maybe 10 before the 3rd one.

I never thought about the ‘heat’ issue with a burner. :eek:

definately agree with Zathros :iagree: