Noob Question Backups

I bought Battlefield 1942 Anthology today and am trying to back it up. My question is does it really take hours to make a backup of one disc? I tried clone cd and alcahol 120% and both do about 3% backed up after 15 mins. This would just take too long, am i doing something wrong?

nope, firstly have you selected the “SafeDisc 2/3” profile in alcohol 120%? if not try that. also, as with most copy protections the first 5-10% takes ages to read, and then speeds up loads, as the begining in where the copy protection bad sectors are. i would just try setting the “SafeDisc 2/3” profile and then waiting for it to speed up. oh, btw you only need one of the cds to be correctly copied for the game to start, so just copy disc 1 with alcohol 120% and the rest with nero or something.

hope this helps,

ben :slight_smile:

Thanks for the help! I really appreciate it! I will try out your suggestions

SafeDisc 2.9. Should be easy with CloneCD. Just make sure that you have the ‘Hide CD-R Media’ option checked in the CloneCD tray. Read at 4x, with the protected game profile.

Remember, some drives skip these kind of SafeDisc errors lightning fast e.g. Plextor Premium whilst others e.g. Lite-on DVD rom skips them very slow.

What CD unit are you using to read/write?

Thanks

NEC 3500 to read. Im only making an image on C drive first. will write the image back using this drive too

P/S i got this set really cheap at Virgin Megastore. I got it for £19.95 when all the single games (road to rome + Secret weapons) were £19.95. This was the only copy that had the label of £19.95. all the other copies were £29.99. I think someone put the wrong label!

P/S i got this set really cheap at Virgin Megastore. I got it for £19.95 when all the single games (road to rome + Secret weapons) were £19.95. This was the only copy that had the label of £19.95. all the other copies were £29.99. I think someone put the wrong label!
I suspect it was probably taken back. Check your reciept to ensure it says you have the correct game.

You should have some luck with your NEC.

Yes its the correct game on the reciept. I dont think it as taken back as it was still coverd with that shrink wrap that is on all games. However the guy on the till had to do a manual Discount :o)

Whoo Hoo! thanks for the help guys it worked! I just ran the image from my desktop onto a virtual drive and it worked with no problem! Now all I need to do is burn the image

Right. If you have a cd/dvd-rom drive (no, not cd-rw or cd-r writer) then run it from that. If its a lite-on cd/dvd rom drive then youll have more luck. Remember, if you get a error just enable/disable emulation, and ensure that you have the latest builds of your program that you are using.

Good luck.

what software did you use?

Alcohol 120% and selected the safedisc 2/3 profile and read the disk at 4X. It did about 8% in 30 minutes and then after that did the whole CD really quick

yeh that what safedisc normaly does, it is due to all the bad sectors at the beggining, the fast part it just the normal data on the cd :slight_smile:

ben :slight_smile: