Noob question about DVD copying

vbimport

I am a little edgy about loaning out my DVDs so when someone asked to borrow one I thought it would be a perfect time to try out my recently installed DVD burner. Put the original in the DVD-ROM drive, put the blank disc in the burner and told nero to make a copy. Nero hits me with a pop-up stating there isn’t enough room on the blank. :confused: So I take a look at the original through windows explorer and it has over 7gig on it. :eek: Did I miss something? I thought DVDs could only hold 4.7gig. How am I suppose to make a 1 for 1 copy?

[QUOTE=thebatpeople;2021796]I am a little edgy about loaning out my DVDs so when someone asked to borrow one I thought it would be a perfect time to try out my recently installed DVD burner. Put the original in the DVD-ROM drive, put the blank disc in the burner and told nero to make a copy. Nero hits me with a pop-up stating there isn’t enough room on the blank. :confused: So I take a look at the original through windows explorer and it has over 7gig on it. :eek: Did I miss something? I thought DVDs could only hold 4.7gig. How am I suppose to make a 1 for 1 copy?[/QUOTE]

No your right some older movies fit the 4.7G dvds aka dvd5 and some are 8.4G dvds aka dvd9 format. You will need to buy DL media to burn those larger format dvd. Also you will need something like to decrypt the protection on the dvd media itself otherwise Nero will not be able to backup those movie dvd. Also have you had problems loaning out your dvd to this person before? Also make sure you burner does the DVD+R DL format to be able to burn to DL media. Loaning your dvd out is up to you but remember there is no recourse if it gets scratched or damaged cause you gave permission to let then borrow it. Was there a reason why they didn’t go rent the dvd at a local rental place or online like NetFlix??? If your hesistant to loan it out just tell them you can’t it’s that simple…

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2021806]No your right some older movies fit the 4.7G dvds aka dvd5 and some are 8.4G dvds aka dvd9 format. You will need to buy DL media to burn those larger format dvd. Also you will need something like to decrypt the protection on the dvd media itself otherwise Nero will not be able to backup those movie dvd. Also have you had problems loaning out your dvd to this person before? Also make sure you burner does the DVD+R DL format to be able to burn to DL media. Loaning your dvd out is up to you but remember there is no recourse if it gets scratched or damaged cause you gave permission to let then borrow it. Was there a reason why they didn’t go rent the dvd at a local rental place or online like NetFlix??? If your hesistant to loan it out just tell them you can’t it’s that simple…[/QUOTE]
Can’t he just use DVD Shrink to compress it?

You need to compress it to DVD-5 size with a program such as DVD Shrink. Most discs these days are dual layered (DVD-9) and cannot fit onto a single layer (DVD-5) disc without being “shrunken” down. Here’s a DVD Shrink Guide Make sure to use Deep Analysis and select Quality Enhancements (my preference is Maximum Smoothness) to squeeze out a bit more quality.

Loaning out anything is always a gamble no matter how trustworthy you feel the person is.

Yes, my burner can handle DL. I must be confuzzled though because I thought DL meant a DVD that you burnt on one side then flipped over to burn the other side. Are the 2 sided DVDs called something else?

Perhaps someone could clear that up.

Also, which decrypter should I use and is there a program that will decrypt & copy?

Dual layer is single sided, but has two dye layers where the information is burned. They are also known as DVD9. Disks that are flipped to burn the other side are DVD10, sometimes called “flippers” and are relatively rare.

If you want to use one program to decrypt, rip and compress the movie to fit onto a single layer dvd, you should look at DVDFab Platinum or DVDFab Gold. Neither are free, but both are still being updated to deal with new protection schemes. DVDShrink can do all these things, but development stopped almost 4 yrs ago on it, and it will no longer decrypt many newer dvds.

There are other options, but they are not all-in-one. The whole process can be done with free tools though, if you are willing to use different programs for each step.

[QUOTE=thebatpeople;2022195]
Also, which decrypter should I use and is there a program that will decrypt & copy?[/QUOTE]

Well you can use dvdfab hd decryptor it is free and updated often. here’s the link for it http://www.dvdfab.com/free.htm. You can use this to rip to hdd and then you can use dvdshrink to compress the movie so it fits on a dvd5 4.7gb disc. Also dvdfab platinum is a all in one program and they have a free trial.

[quote=Kerry56;2022211]Dual layer is single sided, but has two dye layers where the information is burned. They are also known as DVD9. Disks that are flipped to burn the other side are DVD10, sometimes called “flippers” and are relatively rare.

.[/quote]

Less confuzzled now. :clap:

I think I will try DVDFab free trial but if I don’t like it I’ll try DVDFab free plus DVDShrink.

Thanks everyone.

I wonder how many blank DVDs I need to smeg up before I become pr0?

[QUOTE=thebatpeople;2022473]
I wonder how many blank DVDs I need to smeg up before I become pr0?[/QUOTE]

Hehe “smeg up”…a fellow Red Dwarf fan? :wink:

And not many if you try DVDFab Platinum, I use it all the time :slight_smile:

thebatpeople Just get & use some RW’s to practice on till you get a system that works for you.Then when the RW’s work everytime start using R’s.That way few or no coasters

ZOMG! DVDFab Platinum is DaBomb! :bow:

I’m splitting DVDs like a smegging pr0!

I just tried burning one with no menus. I am almost afraid to try playing because it has been too easy so far.

very nicely explained i learned alot reading this post

very informative posts… ty everyone.

DVDfab Platinum looks interesting. I have several computers I work from… depending on which can be occupied at the time. Does anyone know if I buy the program, will i have problems putting it on more than one computer?

I don’t think there would be a problem if you install on more than 1 computer. Just don’t use it on more than 1 computer at a time

thanks for the reply. that wont be a problem

[QUOTE=GJ;2025473]I don’t think there would be a problem if you install on more than 1 computer. Just don’t use it on more than 1 computer at a time[/QUOTE]

Yup, I have it installed on my two PCs here. I don’t use it on both at once though. :slight_smile: