Noob overclocking question/clarification

OK, from what I understand, I can flash my 40125S to a 48125W (if it has a ZSxx firmware, which it does, i.e. ZS0N) by flashing under DOS with MTKFLASH and using VS08.BIN. Is this correct?

I did that and I my recorder looked like a 48125W to the BIOS and Windows and even to Nero. But Nero wouldn’t let me burn higher than 40x. The Nero info tool reported 48x, and Nero proper showed the recorder as a 48125W, but did not show 48x as a write speed, only 40x and under. Is this normal? Is it because I’m using the Nero that came with the drive and it is limited to 40?

Help.

]Monty[

You must use cd media that are burnable at 48x. Search the forum, I saw a lot of thread debating this “issue”.

When you insert a CDR, Nero “ask” the LiteOn the max speed for the media. So try with certified 48x media and Nero should allow you to buen at this speed.

Bye,
Fred

Originally posted by fredsky
[B]You must use cd media that are burnable at 48x. Search the forum, I saw a lot of thread debating this “issue”.

When you insert a CDR, Nero “ask” the LiteOn the max speed for the media. So try with certified 48x media and Nero should allow you to buen at this speed.

Bye,
Fred [/B]

This is correct, but i´ve faced one strange thing about that Smartburn technology, i bought a spindle of 48x certified media and Nero refuses to burn at that speed! And so does Clonecd…Clonecd has that thing too, like Nero, that it checks the media capacity and Clonecd refuses to burn at max speed…i think that its a media issue, the so called 48x certified media is just a bunch of crap…Benq btw, former Acer…dont buy them!

Is it 48x certified as in it says on the box or as in LiteOn media checker says it’s 48x?
Guess it says on the box, some companies write whatever they want, even if it isn’t true…

OK, so what is a good way to check that the firmeware update worked? I evidentally don’t have real 48x certified cdrs that the liteon likes.

Can I turn off Smart-Burn and force it to burn at 48 just to try it?

Thanks
]Monty[

Originally posted by montyshaw
[B]OK, so what is a good way to check that the firmeware update worked? I evidentally don’t have real 48x certified cdrs that the liteon likes.

Can I turn off Smart-Burn and force it to burn at 48 just to try it?

Thanks
]Monty[ [/B]

I think you can disable smartburn (search in this forum, you should find something), but I definitely not recommand this. I’m pretty sure that if your drive is identified as 48x burner and if your burned cd’s works even at 40x then the “upgrade” can be considered as a success.

Bye,
Fredsky

Just a quick follow up to thank everyone that replied.

Without media in the cdrw, Nero says it can do 48x. With the media I have it says 40x, so that part depends on the media.

I can burn just fine at 40, and windows thinks it is the 48x drive, so I’m counting this overclock a success.

Thanks again to everyone. (especially dyzan for making my overclock possible with his web site)

]Monty[