Noob needs help- convert .mpg to DVD

I thought I had a handle on this, but apparently not.

I record 1 hr. shows from my TV card and they are automatically saved as *.mpg (I presume mpeg2) files about 6.5 Gb. I want to convert them and burn to DVD for later playback.

From other posts I read it appears that I need to use DVD shrink to reduce the file size. If I understand this correctly, DVD shrink looks for a video_ts.ifo file and it then creates a reduced size .iso image? or not?

If that is true, what program or procedure should I follow to create the _ts file, or am I completely lost here?

I did install gspot and got a message that it an mpeg format nopt supported by gspot. When I rendered it the file type came back as an “mpeg1payload”.

Thanks in advance for any help I can get with this issue.

6.5gb is pretty big for an hour show, even for mpeg2. You must be saving at maximum bitrate.

For a free conversion/authoring tool, look at DVDFlick. It should be able to get your video to dvd compliant form and put it into dvd-video format. Pick the 4.3gb target size to burn to a regular, single layer dvd.

An alternative would be the commercial program ConvertXtoDVD.

By the way, have you already cut out commercials from your recorded show? If not, a good program for doing that is VideoReDo Plus. Their newer TV Suite is a complete package for editing and converting to dvd format. Not a free tool though.

Thanks for the info. I thought I had this right and tried DVD flick yesterday, it kept crashing with errors. I reinstalled and it seems to be working.

As for the file size, I use WinTV2000 and contrary to the manual, I am not given a choice for file size as I should be.

I keep you posted.

Sounds like a Hauppauge card. Could you list the model number, please?

The card is a HVR-1600 (white box).
No remote, it has the L/R audio, S/video, FM, cable, and ASTC digital.

Hmmm… can’t find that hybrid card on the UK site. Are you recording from digital signals or analogue?

WinTV2000 is notorious for producing crappy program streams from the transport streams received off digital transmissions. The only thing that used to work is running them through the ‘Quickstream Fix’ option of VideoRedo (one of the solutions that Kerry56 offered above). It has a month’s free trial so you could try it out first. Use the ‘Quickstream fix’ option from the opening screen:

There’s a good chance that the resulting file should be compatible with editing and authoring software after that.

My recordings are all digital from OTA antenna.

So you are saying that Quickstream Fix kind of tunes up the file and prepares it for processing (converting, burning, etc.) with a higher quality end product also?

If I were to get Video Redo, is that program is a suite of some type that eliminates having to use different programs to achieve the end result?

VideoReDo is not a software suite, but it’s simply the best and fastest video editer. Did I mention that it’s very fast?

WinTV2000 should have the setting to set your output file and bitrate. Let me look on my other PC, I think I still have it on that one, and I’ll give you the correct setting location.

Under Preferences > Quality Level > pick which you’d like… I use to just pick the MPEG2 12.0MB/sec bitrate… overkill, but it did a decent capture.

I now solely use Media Center since I have VideoReDo and 1Click DVDMovie converter.

[quote=da1801;2027192]My recordings are all digital from OTA antenna.

So you are saying that Quickstream Fix kind of tunes up the file and prepares it for processing (converting, burning, etc.) with a higher quality end product also?

If I were to get Video Redo, is that program is a suite of some type that eliminates having to use different programs to achieve the end result?[/quote]The ‘Quickstream Fix’ eliminates all the errors that WinTV200 can’t handle; such as presentation time stamp and group-of-pictures. It will drop a few bad video frames but nothing that will be noticed.

The TV Suite version of Video Redo will manage everything from editing out adverts, making menus and burning to DVD. You can save the completed DVD-Video as an ISO that can be opened by DVD Shrink and thus reduced onto a single layer disc.

IMO it is probably the best ‘all-round’ thing you can buy at the moment. You should try it yourself though with that 30-day free trial.

It would be great if MBK could help optimise the original record setting though. Always better to have good starting material :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=imkidd57;2027234]The ‘Quickstream Fix’ eliminates all the errors that WinTV200 can’t handle; such as presentation time stamp and group-of-pictures. It will drop a few bad video frames but nothing that will be noticed.

[B]The TV Suite version of Video Redo will manage everything from editing out adverts, making menus and burning to DVD.[/B] You can save the completed DVD-Video as an ISO that can be opened by DVD Shrink and thus reduced onto a single layer disc.

IMO it is probably the best ‘all-round’ thing you can buy at the moment. You should try it yourself though with that 30-day free trial.

It would be great if MBK could help optimise the original record setting though. Always better to have good starting material :)[/QUOTE]

Didn’t even know that VideoReDo had a TVSuite version… if it’s as good as the regulsr version, probably pretty damn good… :wink:

Thanks for all the great info.
Re: WinTV2000, I am looking toward re-installing it to see if it corrects the bitrate issue. I know where to set it and it only gave me one choice and that “something2048”. I’m not with the computer so I cannot say for sure. I suspect it is a problem with the card only receiving digital signals right now. It will not pick up analog and I think I have to split the signal to the other input. Once that is done I should be able to regulate bitrate output.

[quote=MBK;2027239]Didn’t even know that VideoReDo had a TVSuite version… if it’s as good as the regulsr version, probably pretty damn good… ;)[/quote]Yes they kept it quiet for some reason and I only found out as a previous user when unwittingly they offered to try the beta… but it is actually a significant improvement (even on the editing features of the good original version) :).