Noob looking for answers!

vbimport

Hello all!

I’ve recently gotten a new system and started backing up DVD’s. I have a lot of movies I’d like to back up, but with my current configuration it takes quite a long time. It takes me about 1hr 40mn to burn a 80min + movie.

I’m not even sure how long it should take, but I’d like some help making the process as quick as I can. Software, settings, guides to look at, etc.

I’m not sure what kind of information might be needed, but here is what I could think of:

Current Software: Nero 7
CPU Type: AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Venice 2000MHz HT, 2.27Ghz
Video Adapter: NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GT (256 MB)
RAM: 2GB

Burner:
Manufacturer: NEC
Device Type: DVD+RW/DVD-RW
Interface: ATAPI
Writing Speeds
DVD+R9 Dual Layer 8x
DVD+R 16x
DVD+RW 8x
DVD-R9 Dual Layer 6x
DVD-R 16x
DVD-RW 6x
CD-R 48x
CD-RW 32x
Reading Speeds
DVD-ROM 16x
CD-ROM 48x

Is that time the total time for the whole process?

If you are not converting from avi to dvd, check if DMA is enabled

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=101616

That’s the time for about a 700mb .avi to be burned from my computer to disk.

It’s roughly the total time… I haven’t kept a log, or can I remember the last one I burned, but I know it’s usually around there, or higher.

It says Ultra DMA 2 - Ultra 33

UDMA2 is ok. Usually it require only 6-15 min (based on the speed selected) to complete a burn.

The most of time in your case is spent in the conversion from avi to dvd. If you want to know the burning time save files in HDD, and then burn on a disc in two separate steps.

DMA is enabled.

It doesn’t take me that long to burn a DVD and my specs aren’t upto yours. It takes a while for it to convert and then burn which is what I thought you were talking about. What else do you have going on at the same time?

I am still of the mind you are talking about re-encoding, as unless your DVD player actiually recognises avis is what needs to be done. Therefore I have to ask are you making a movie DVD and if so are you using nero re-code?

Is there anyways to reduce the time that the converting takes? I converted a bunch of dvds when I first got the system, and so they are already in .avi format.

In the future, should I just make an image of the dvd to be burned? I guess, when you say save files… what do you mean by that?

Yes, I’m converting it to a DVD video, not just putting the .avi files on the DVD. I don’t use nero re-code, I just open the .avi in Nero Vision and use that.

Nope converting takes as long as it takes. Some software is faster than others, for example Main Concept is faster than TMPGEnc, but these then require the use of a dvd author to convert them again though it only takes 5 mins to do so after the initial conversion.

avi format has to be converted to be recognised in dvd players, unless you have one that recognises it. If you are backing up just use clone DVD and anyDVD together to make a back up DVD it saves on the conversion from avi.

EDIT:
Then be happy with 1hr 40mins. It takes my system 2-3hours to convert. I don’t use all-in-one converter burners, I prefer seperate progs for the steps as I find they work better.

EDIT 2:
try this site for guides, it is considered one of the best around: www.videohelp.com
(God I am getting as bad as arachne with the edit button)

The faster method is to burn avi as a [B]data[/B] disc and buy a divx capable standalone. There are cheap ones these days.

Thanks you both! I have one final question here.

Would the DivX Pro Codec be something that is used to re-encode during that .avi to DVD process? I remember being able to click something in the past to configure the settings of the codec while in Vision… but it’s not there anymore. I know it’s not that it ran out, because I purchased the whole deal.

I’m not sure, it could be that I used the codec elsewhere in Nero, and just forgot. It does have a setting for choosing an encoder, and to configure encoder… but it’s greyed out.

You’re welcome :slight_smile:

Converting in dvd the only thing that the divx codec do is to “decode” the avi file. When converting from divx to dvd, the “encoding” part is done by the mpeg encoder.

So the only config you need to do is in the [U]mpeg[/U] encoder. But nerovision should do all the work automatically.