Noob just got a 112d, is it normal

…for it to be so loud spinning up (reading?) when I put a disc in.

It’s also very loud (the tray) when it opens, yet it’s quiet when it closes.

Also, the first disc I burn (say the first burn of the day) it takes it about 1:20 seconds to start burning. The next disc will be burning in about 00:20 seconds.

The DVD’s I’ve burned seem fine, but are there some tests I should run?

I’m not a PC noob, though, as I’ve built three computers and read tech websites all the time. I’ve heard this is the best burning website on the net.

[QUOTE=Noya83;1934906]…for it to be so loud spinning up (reading?) when I put a disc in.[/QUOTE]

Think this sounds normal to me.

[QUOTE=Noya83;1934906]It’s also very loud (the tray) when it opens, yet it’s quiet when it closes.[/QUOTE]

This doesn’t sound normal at all to me, what sort of noise is it? Scraping noise? Its not fouling on your case?

[QUOTE=Noya83;1934906]Also, the first disc I burn (say the first burn of the day) it takes it about 1:20 seconds to start burning. The next disc will be burning in about 00:20 seconds.[/QUOTE]

This is not normal. I don’t recall ever having to wait for the drive to start burning. What software are you using, and is there any messages like “buffering” or anything like that in your software?

No, I have the front bezel off the PC. It’s just that it’s loud enough when it opens and closes that it sounds like it won’t last, as if it’s slamming open and closed (Listening to it now VS my first post, it’s also loud closing, just not as loud as when it opens- relative to my other optical drive).

My nearly 4 year old burner (a 4x LG or Lite-On model, from my old Compaq) makes much less noise while opening/closing and it reads an inserted disc much faster (6 seconds VS a whopping 12 seconds for the Pioneer).

I’m using Nero and DVD Decrypter to burn with. The “Buffer” is always at 100%, while the “Device Buffer” fluctuates between 93-97% in both apps, with an occasional blip to 100% in Decrypter. It’s on it’s own IDE channel as Master. The discs burn succesful and I’ve watched a DVD (Sony D20 or 21) burned at 8x and it played fine with no glitches.

Does this mean that if I tried to burn at 16x that the buffer would not allow it?

[QUOTE=Noya83;1938759]The “Buffer” is always at 100%, while the “Device Buffer” fluctuates between 93-97% in both apps…
Does this mean that if I tried to burn at 16x that the buffer would not allow it?[/QUOTE]
No, this buffer behaviour is quite normal.

I own this drive in my duplicator and it has never done any of those things. Sounds like a bad drive or going bad.

[QUOTE=THE C.;1939187]I own this drive in my duplicator and it has never done any of those things. Sounds like a bad drive or going bad.[/QUOTE]

Nope, it mainly depends ion the used controller (chipset) and some hardware setups.