Noob about DVD grade/qulity

vbimport

Ive just bought some LG 1-8X DVD-R. There were fairy cheap, 11$ for a spindle of 25. Anyway they are pinked topped.
Are these the same code that some of the TDK have or somthing?
What grade are they and what are their life expetcany/problems? I hear people complain about unplayback-able mvoies on princos etc.

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD-R:CMC MAG. AE1]

Disc & Book Type : [DVD-R] - [DVD-R]
Manufacturer Name : [CMC Magnetics Corp.]
Manufacturer ID : [CMC MAG. AE1]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,298,496 Sectors = 4,489.3MB = 4.38GB (4.71GB)]

[ DVD Identifier - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

CMC does not have a great reputation. [shrug] I’ve made some CMC coasters, also many good burns. Now I buy only TY or MXL, which my burner seems to like. If you have problems, reduce target file size 100 or so Megs, it often helps to not burn to the edge on questionable media. Use them up and then get something better next time. :wink:

Yes, but will they still be readable in say 6moths time or even a year? In both data and dvd moives.

TY (Taiyo Yuden) has so far proven itself to be the best quality media you can buy. Over the past few years, Kodak Gold & Mitsui Gold and TY for CDR, and TY and Verbatum (TY pastels) have proven themself to be low in error rate and some of the most reliable nedia available - not always without issue (nothing is perfect) but the best out of all that you can buy. The above manufacturers quote 50-100 yrs of shelf life if the media is burnt within spec and kept in a cool dark place - not left in the sun, covered in grease or dirt, scratched, or left in CD/DVD players to get overly hot.

I have cheaper media that is still usable many years on - it’s a question of cost, how precious data is to you, and whether you would rather trust relaible manufacturers or take a bigger gamble with cheaper manufacturers.

Not all cheaper media is bad - but much of it is so variable you have more chance of surviving crossing a busy road blindfolded than data lasting 1+ years :slight_smile: - if you take a peek at the media tests done by CDFreaks users, much of the cheaper media has vast error rates as soon as the burn is made.

That was nicely put. :slight_smile: To the OP: As to longevity, we can’t be 100% certain, can we? Not 'til more time has passed. :wink:

to be safest, burn multiple copies using different media (preferably high quality like TY or MCC) and store in different places. at ~$0.40/disc, burning 2 or more copies of things should be a no-brainer.

Let says i burn a full DVD of my rars/avi. Even though it has error rates after 6months, will i be able to copy them from CD back to my harddrive and be 100% assured they still will open/play?

If you can read the disc, then yes, that should be the case - it depends on the media, how high the errors are at the time you read it, and how good your drive can cope with all the nastiness coming at it. If it cannot recover a block, then no, that data is lost. As per the above, no one knows how long any disc will last - you just play the odds and use good burner’s, media, and multiple copies if it is so important to you. Always scan a disc for error’s or just a general surface test (CD/DVDSpeed) - it may not be the best, but if you have trouble after a burn, it will just get worse (unless your burner is a bad burner).

One thing that takes time, and is a pain, is to make your own par2’s for any kind of data you wish to archive before burning, then add them to the collection (for this to work all files need to be in one folder!!!) - then, if any file/files cannot be read, you at least have some hope of copying it all to HD and using whatever par2 files are needed to get all the collection back.