None of my CD Drives Work!

Hi,

I am currently having problems with the CD Drives in my PC, They stopped working about 3-4 Days ago, I tried to burn some CD’s but my CD drive would not read any of them. I tried DVD’s and Blank CD’s but still the same result.
So I tried looking around on the web and saw that other people had these problems, I tried to use the steps they had provided people, Like going to the Device Manager and Uninstalling the Drives and then re-booting the PC. It failed it did not fix anything, The wierd thing is that when I go to My Computer and I click on the Properties of the Drive it shows that it is Unknown.

HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8483B and a hp dvd writer dvd630 are the models of my CD Drives.

As you can see in the Red box it reads Unknown, It used to say FAT.

At this point I really do not know what to do…
I tried switching the Wires up and Trying a Different CD Drive and still the same result…

Any Help is greatly Appreciated.
Thanks. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=IamRolk;2120217]Hi,

I am currently having problems with the CD Drives in my PC, They stopped working about 3-4 Days ago, I tried to burn some CD’s but my CD drive would not read any of them. I tried DVD’s and Blank CD’s but still the same result.
So I tried looking around on the web and saw that other people had these problems, I tried to use the steps they had provided people, Like going to the Device Manager and Uninstalling the Drives and then re-booting the PC. It failed it did not fix anything, The wierd thing is that when I go to My Computer and I click on the Properties of the Drive it shows that it is Unknown.

HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8483B and a hp dvd writer dvd630 are the models of my CD Drives.

As you can see in the Red box it reads Unknown, It used to say FAT.

At this point I really do not know what to do…
I tried switching the Wires up and Trying a Different CD Drive and still the same result…

Any Help is greatly Appreciated.
Thanks. :)[/QUOTE]

What did you install prior if anything to this problem showing up? Also how old is your computer and burner and firmware? What kinda media are you using? What software are you using to burn?

Mine says that when the drive is empty.

Oh yeah forgot FAT is used by IDE drives not CD/DVD media format…I think you have them confused…

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2120455]What did you install prior if anything to this problem showing up? Also how old is your computer and burner and firmware? What kinda media are you using? What software are you using to burn?[/QUOTE]

I actually Installed Ashamppo Burning studio and a WMP 11 Plug in for My Ipod. The PC itself is about 2 years old. I usually use WMP to burn my CD’s, I had forgot I had Ashampoo.

Go find a MSKB article relating to deleting the upper filter and lower filter registry keys. That could fix this.

The link is in my sig (at the bottom of my post). :slight_smile:

Yeah, I had read that article and did it manually but I could only find the Lower Filter. I deleted it but I still have this problem. I ran the Exe from the Article and it said that the lower/upper filter do not exist on my PC.

Can anyone help me out? :sad:

Do you have access to a second PC to verify that your two optical drives are OK?

Though not always practical, I’ve found that having a second, functional PC is immensely useful when troubleshooting problems… Good luck.

EDIT: If you have WinXP SP3 installed, uninstall it… That might fix your problem.

I had the same problem with a new install: after upgrading to SP3, I had problems reading from my optical drive…