Non standard workarounds to play Titan Quest: Gold Box

vbimport

Here’s my problem, in a nutshell:

My DVD drive does not read DVDs, but does read CDs. The game is on a DVD, which makes it impossible to install or play it.

However I do have a second computer, and the DVD drive on it is able to read it fine, but doesn’t have good enough specs to play the game.

I legally own the game, and have full and legal access to both computers.

So here’s what I am considering doing:

Method 1: Find a way to insert the disc into computer 2’s DVD drive, then install it from there onto computer 1, and play it from computer 1. Remote desktop, maybe? It will work better if I don’t have to have the disc in either computer 1 or 2’s drive to play it once installed.

Method 2: Similar to 1, but more straightforward. Make an ISO on computer 2, transfer the ISO to 1, load and play the ISO on 1.

However I suspect either way I will run into copy protection which is why I posted it in this forum. So I’m looking to know both what sort of measures will be required to get around the copy protection on TQ: IT (which is very annoying, and has already proven to make play near impossible if triggered) and how feasible those workaround measures are. Can those things even be done? If not, I guess I’ll just have to buy another drive, but if I can find a workaround, that’d be a lot better.

Why not just switch the drive that doesn’t work with the one that does?

[QUOTE=Whappo;2567633]Why not just switch the drive that doesn’t work with the one that does?[/QUOTE]

Lack of hardware expertise.

Connect both computers via a crossover cable 8no patchcable).
Accessing the drive that way should work, AFAIK.

Easier would be swapping out both drives.

BTW, what is the reason for the dvd read error on drive 1?

[QUOTE=chef;2567813]Connect both computers via a crossover cable 8no patchcable).
Accessing the drive that way should work, AFAIK.

Easier would be swapping out both drives.

BTW, what is the reason for the dvd read error on drive 1?[/QUOTE]

Not sure what the reason is. Only that the drive can read and write CDs fine but can no longer read DVDs. Haven’t tried it with writing DVDs, but since the problem is that it doesn’t recognize there is a disc in the drive I don’t think it’d change anything. The consensus seems to be that the drive is shot, which isn’t all that unreasonable considering the computer is relatively old. But then again I have one twice as old and the drives work fine on it… Only a CD drive though, so not a solution. It’s also not the computer 2 I mentioned. Not sure how old that one is. I got it used from a family member.

You could try booting from a bootable DVD (eg. linux distribution) to be sure if the dvd part is gone or not…

@PeterSP
If you want to test ‘Method 2’ please have a look at this guide:

The Titan Quest: Gold Box DVD is SecuROM protected.

Generally speaking you need to create an image with Alcohol 52%/120% or DAEMON Tools Pro on your second PC, transfer that image to your first PC, and then load/mount it in the virtual drive of Alcohol 52% FE or DAEMON Tools lite - both programs are free for personal use.

Success depends on the DVD drives’ capability to perform an as accurate as possible [I]Data Position Measurement[/I] of the original disc. In case Alcohol/DAEMON Tools Pro fail or hang during the DPM progress try different DPM speed settings.
It’s recommended to first try with the Maximum speed setting.

[QUOTE=chef;2567829]You could try booting from a bootable DVD (eg. linux distribution) to be sure if the dvd part is gone or not…[/QUOTE]

I do not have a bootable DVD. Though attempting with a non bootable DVD yielded interesting results.

Computer starts booting, gets to the part where it displays the eMachines logo. Computer attempts to read DVD, the light comes on, I hear it making sounds, but it does not succeed. After about 1-2 minutes it stops. The computer immediately continues to load (normally it gets past this screen much faster).

At the part where it says that Windows XP is loading though I do hear the DVD drive successfully running… however about 30-45 seconds later it stops. And since the computer hasn’t actually booted up to the desktop, I cannot input any commands, and when I check it after doing so it still refuses to read the disc.

However it is the fact I can make the DVD drive seem to work under those conditions that makes me think it is not a hardware problem.

Anyways, I will look into that solution for method 2.

The main problem is discussed in this thread, so please continue there:
–> http://club.myce.com/f105/tsstcorp-cd-dvdw-ts-h552b-unable-read-dvds-reads-writes-cds-fine-318912/

That’s why I am closing this thread now. Feel free to PM me in case you have good reasons to have it re-opened.

:cop:

Michael