Non-Slim External DVD Burner for Audio Mastering?

vbimport

Hello,
I have narrowed my search of external DVD drives (whose primary purpose will be to burn master quality audio CDs and master quality DVDs, after editing with Nero 9) down to LiteOn, Plextor, or LG.

Lite-On: EH AU 428-08 (solid, power switch)
Plextor: PX-880U
LG: GE20LU10

Any thoughts or comments about these units or others? I am not concerned with copying movies or such. The only extra feature I could think of would be DVD-RAM read/write support. I have read well over a hundred reviews and specs. and thought I would come back here and get straight answers.
BTW-I am using JVC/Taiyo Yuden Premium J-CDR-ZZ-SB 52x for audio and JVC/TY Premium J-DMR-ZZ-SB8 (TYG02) 8x for video.
Thanks again,
Eric :slight_smile:

Go for the LG (as already suggested some time ago). The Plextor is a recycled Liteon drive, and the CD quality of Liteon DVD writers is average at best.

Michael

:slight_smile: I am leaning towards the [B]LG GE24LU20 DVD-Writer[/B], but I also looked at the [B]LG Secure Disc GSA-E60L[/B] too. Any suggestions?
How do these compare for ripping audio CDs? I need something equally as good to the burning for ripping CD-Rs made on my standalone recorder.

Well, go ahead and buy what you like, but don’t forget to report back if your purchase did fulfill your demands :wink:
As for the GE24LU20 - we have a thread about LG’s 24x drives. You may have a look at this.
The E60L is two years old at least, and LG never bothered publishing firmware updates.

I recommended the GE20NU10/GE20LU10, since I own such a drive and know about its capabilities, especially with CD stuff.

Michael

I wound up with the LG GE24LU20. The strange thing is that when I open up [B]Nero Disc Speed 5[/B] and try to scan on this drive, the [U]Disc Quality[/U] tab disappears. It functions when using the laptop’s slimtype drive though. :confused:

[QUOTE=Eric Holtz;2554756]I wound up with the LG GE24LU20. The strange thing is that when I open up [B]Nero Disc Speed 5[/B] and try to scan on this drive, the [U]Disc Quality[/U] tab disappears. It functions when using the laptop’s slimtype drive though. :confused:[/QUOTE]

The disc quality scanning is possible only on the drives based on Mediatek/Nexperia/NEC/Sanyo chipsets.
LG’s drives are based on Renesas/Matsushita chipsets.

Apart from that, a Liteon DVD writer (with Mediatek chipset) is no good CD scanner.

Michael

Ooh…I see. The LG seems to be a good unit: big, solid and sturdy, doesn’t feel cheap, rubberized “feet” strips. The Nero [U]Disc Scan[/U] and [U]Benchmark [/U]tests were blazing fast! I suppose I’ll just use the laptop slimtype for [U]Disc Quality[/U] scans–bummer. :slight_smile: