Non-riplocked : Pioneer BDR-2209 or LG WH16NS40 (LG BH16NS40)?

vbimport

Hello everybody

i ordered those 2 Blu-Ray burners from amazon france (at home now) and i have to make a choise to keep one of them:

i am looking for a Blu-Ray burner with the following attributes :

1- Is an overall high-quality drive, and plays and burns Blu-Rays, DVDs, and CDs very well. I want something that will provide smooth playback and very high-quality, long-lasting burns.

2- a non-riplocked. I will need to do some Blu-Ray ripping, so I do not want any riplock. If is riplocked drives how can i have their riplock removed ?

Pioneer BDR-2209

link where i order: (“i Think” its the box kit version)

Pioneer official link:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Computer/Computer+Drives/BDR-2209

or

LG WH16NS40 (= LG BH16NS40)

link where i order: (“i Think” its the box kit version)

LG official link:

LG WH16NS40:

LG BH16NS40

• i understood the LG WH16NS40 its the same as the LG BH16NS40 just need to update the firmware… can you tell me please if its true ? and how to do it ?

• the Pioneer BDR-2209 can burn an M-Disc BD-R ? in case is No whay amazon sell this M-Disc BD-R ? (i hope he can record this disk…)

thank you all for your help :o

Hello again

i just saw on the pioneer its wrote on the box BDR-2209 and on the recorder Pioneer BDR-209UBK… what i read its not the same…

To answer your most recent question: it is the correct drive. It is just Pioneer’s retail naming scheme.

On the website or in the store, the retail package is marked as “BDR-2209”. The drive inside the box is a BDR-209U (or 209E, or 209M. All are the same drive). This is correct.

The same happened for 2208 (retail package for BDR-208U/E/M), and 2207 (retail package containing 207 drive).

To add to the confusion: 209U/E/M all show up on your computer as “BDR-209M”, I think.

thank you dear Albert

you have good knowledge :slight_smile:

can you tell me if its burn an M-Disc BD-R ? in case is No whay amazon sell this M-Disc BD-R ? (i hope he can record this disk…)

and for the most important question about the non-riplocked

i have to make a fast decision to return one of them :slight_smile:

Sorry; I missed your reply.

The Pioneer BDR-209 series can burn M-Disc BD-R. The LG BH16/WH16 can burn M-Disc BD-R and DVD+R.

As for riplock, many people say the LG BH16 is faster than the Pioneer.

Also, BH16 and WH16 are the same drive with the same features (except WH16 might have riplock) and can share firmware. They get new firmware at the same time. So don’t worry.

If you decide to get or keep a drive with WH16 firmware, you can crossflash to BH16 using techniques found in this thread: http://club.myce.com/f87/asus-bw-12b1st-rebadged-lg-bh14ns40-version-not-liteon-ihbs112-version-335096/ … We may have to find correct files to do so, but this will not be hard.

Thank you So much Albert realy realy ! when you answerd me i just had the time to take the pioneer and runing to te post office to return it ! thank you i keep the LG WH16NS40.

yes of course if you say the LG WH16NS40 is Riplock i have to flash it to a BH16NS40… or a better model of LG ? maybe this one is the best one BH16NS48 ??? i speak about this one because i saw 48 in the end but probably another one is better / the best comparing to others ?

you are great Albert thank you again :slight_smile:

I don’t think NS48 is better than NS40, but you can crossflash NS40 to NS48 if you want.

I am making a note here: This is all the stuff we will need to crossflash the drive. We will go over the instructions later.

You must be using Windows. LG’s flashers work only on Windows.

A link to the BH14/BH16 firmwares: [QUOTE=cvs;2726536]Out of this list you basically only need the first and the last link. The rest were ‘work in progress’ anyway.

Here is a fresh link containing the extracted *.bin firmware files for all official 14x/16x LG drive firmware releases known to date (including all internal and external drives plus an HP OEM BH40N drive).

bad link removed

All the files in the above archive are 100% mint, i.e. they have been extracted from the official flashers not obtained from processed dumps.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=bilditup1;2726574]…
https://mega.co.nz/#!jMJBiSZY!fcmGbs6t0oQx5KKUYIjYYIaW2A-ucFpAuQx2a8uAzvE[/QUOTE]

And the method to flash the firmware…
We will be using one of the flashers found here: http://www.firmwarehq.com/LG/BH14NS40/files.html

According to [QUOTE=cvs;2719373]It looks like the BH14NS40_N1.00-A4.exe flasher is unlocked allowing to crossflash these drives.

The BH14NS48_N1.00-A4.exe also appears to be unlocked.

I’m not sure about the BH16NS40_N1.00-A2.exe, but its worth a try. I can’t tell if its locked or not because my drive is a BH16NS40…

Both existing BH16NS48 firmwares are locked.

All the newer firmware versions for the drives above seem to be locked giving an error message if the correct drive is not found…[/QUOTE]
…we must download the last file on that page.

We will be using method 3 found in below posts (which requires a tool, “ShowHideControls”. ShowHideControls can also be downloaded below).

[QUOTE=cvs;2719427] […]
[B]Method 3.[/B] Don’t patch anything, just show the unlocked BH14 flashers who’s the boss! :cop: Use any of the BH14 unlocked flashers and use a program like ShowHideControls to enable the otherwise disabled file open button, select the file you like and the rest is history! It seems to work just fine and lets you correctly select a different file to flash, turning the unlocked flasher into a de facto standalone flasher. :bigsmile:

Should anyone want to try some of this, please proceed with caution and at your own risk! End of disclaimer… ;)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=cvs;2719468]Both BH14NS40_N1.00-A4.exe and BH14NS48_N1.00-A4.exe flashers are unlocked.

Crossflashing using method 3 should be safe and easy. You just need to load the appropriate bin firmware from the archive provided by blackened2687 about 14 posts ago and that should be it!

I uploaded a copy of ShowHideControls here: http://www55.zippyshare.com/v/69914952/file.html

Start one of the unlocked flashers, then start ShowHideControls and select the “FlashIt” entry in ShowHideControls.

Typically the entry for the Open button is the first one in the list. You can visually confirm that you are selecting the right button by selecting the first entry and the clicking the “Hide Element” button. If the Open button changes its appearance then you know you selected the right one … then just press the Click button, and the file open dialog box will open and will let you select the *.bin file of your choice.[/QUOTE]

i am sorry Albert i dont told you in the post i already flash on BH16NS40… i was complicated to found the unlocked flash tool (i dont the link of download you posted) byt found one ine japanese lg web sit ^^ sorry to make you wrote lal this… :confused:

1- Albert do you knwo where i can found information who comparing the 40 to the 48 ? or resuming to better flash on 48 or 40 ?

2- the 48 in the end its not mean he write faster than 40 ?

3- i found the LG BH16NS48 only in japanese LG websit… its mean its only sell there ?

4- i found only 2 reviews withe old firmware 1.00 but i realy dont understand and so many things to fix in work actualy to learn if its not take you time and you can resume me this fast wille be realy realy nice.

and in polish:

the polish reviw he make a screen withe nero infotool and i do the same (without testing speed etc…) and for him on the 48 he have in green CD +G and on my 40 is in red… the rest i dont understood

thank you a lot again albert :slight_smile:

[B]EDIT:[/B] oh here a link of test withe the last update 1.03 of the 40:

I do not think there is any comparison available, unfortunately.

2- the 48 in the end its not mean he write faster than 40 ?

No, they read & write at the same speeds.

3- i found the LG BH16NS48 only in japanese LG websit… its mean its only sell there ?
Maybe. This is a very good observation. I had not realized this before.

4- i found only 2 reviews withe old firmware 1.00 but i realy dont understand and so many things to fix in work actualy to learn if its not take you time and you can resume me this fast wille be realy realy nice.

http://club.myce.com/f91/lg-bh16ns40-wh16ns40-bh16ns48-330609/

and in polish:

http://forum.cdrinfo.pl/f107/lg-bh16ns40-wh16ns40-bh16ns48-92161/

the polish reviw he make a screen withe nero infotool and i do the same (without testing speed etc…) and for him on the 48 he have in green CD +G and on my 40 is in red… the rest i dont understood

thank you a lot again albert :slight_smile:

[B]EDIT:[/B] oh here a link of test withe the last update 1.03 of the 40:
http://forum.cdrinfo.pl/f107/lg-bh16ns40-wh16ns40-bh16ns48-92161/index11.html

All those posts are tests. People are testing the write quality of the drives. Simply put, they all do a good job of burning discs. Sometimes new firmware may improve write quality, but they are otherwise equal.

thank you

1- what is mean the 48 ?

2- the polish review make a screen of the 48 withe nero infotool and i do the same (without testing speed etc…) on my 40 and for him on the 48 he have in green CD +G and on my 40 is in red… what is the CD +G ?

1. Bigger number = newer release. That is all.

2. CD+G: format used to make karaoke CDs, and discs for very old game consoles. It is very outdated. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD%2BG

thank you Albert i will probably put the 48 :slight_smile: