Non-important news during summer holiday, what is it called?

vbimport

Every year, we get non-important news during the summer holiday as a space filler since there is a shortage of real news.

In Norway this is called ‘Agurknytt’ which directly translated back to English means ‘Cucumber news’.

Just out of curiosity and since it is summer holiday, what is the equivalent in other languages?

Komkommernieuws in Dutch…:bigsmile:

In my neck of the woods, I don’t think we have a direct term. “Fluff” applies to any extraneous news story, so maybe that’s directly applicable, but I often hear people remark “Huh, must be a slow news day”. Saying that alone, especially in the context of a specific news article/story, gets the point across (with the usual dash of implied criticism).

The news themselves don’t have a specific name, but the concept is well known in Denmark and it’s called “Cucumber times” ([I]Agurketid[/I])…:

“Did you read the news today?”
“Yeah. It’s cucumber times!”

Nyhetstorka (news drought) in Swedish.

:slight_smile:

In the USA- no news is good news. :bigsmile::bigsmile::bigsmile:

I’m not 100% sure if it’s the same in the US (although I suspect it is) but in the UK they call them ‘fillers’.

So in other words they fill the gaps when there’s no real news. :slight_smile:

‘Cucumber news’ sounds much more interesting. :bigsmile:

Why ‘cucumber’ though?

Is it because they’re stretching things out?

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=Wombler;2777857]I’m not 100% sure if it’s the same in the US (although I suspect it is) but in the UK they call them ‘fillers’.

So in other words they fill the gaps when there’s no real news. :slight_smile:

‘Cucumber news’ sounds much more interesting. :bigsmile:

Why ‘cucumber’ though?

Is it because they’re stretching things out?

[B]Wombler[/B][/QUOTE]
:bigsmile: or maybe journalists watching the cucumber grow? :disagree:

The expression comes from way back when newspapers short on news during summer holiday wrote about prices on goods found in market stalls, among others the asking price for a cucumber (found it on Wikipedia [goes to show how good google translate really is]) :stuck_out_tongue:

We have a few other options in our Dutch wiki…:bigsmile: